PDA

View Full Version : New Player Interested in Text Only Shadowrun 5E Game

hc1980
January 8th, 2015, 16:42
Hi everyone!

This might be a tall order for fulfill, but I figured I would post it here and see if anyone would be able to help me.

I'm new to tabletop rpgs and was wondering if anyone would show me the ropes/run a game of Shadowrun.

Here are the stipulations:

- Unfortunately, my house is small and my kids will be sleeping so the game will need to be text only.

- I do not own FG. Is there a free version so I can test out the application before buying?

- I'm available Monday - Thursday 7 to 10 PM EST.

hc1980
January 9th, 2015, 15:07
Hmmm ... okay, maybe I'll have a bit more luck with dnd 5e. Are there any dnd 5e text only games available?

GunnarGreybeard
January 9th, 2015, 16:04
I think text only games are pretty rare. They are out there, but few and far between, at least thats the impression I have gotten.

Doc Sportello
January 9th, 2015, 16:13
Personally, I'd be interested in a text-only game, but I've never played Shadowrun.

hc1980
January 9th, 2015, 18:06
Maybe we should scratch the system all together. Would you be willing to play something else?

Would anyone be interested in running a text only D&D 5E game?

Doc Sportello
January 9th, 2015, 18:45
I might be! Your times often work for me, and I've got all the 5e books. And ultimately I'm more interested in DMing than playing. But I'm new to FG myself, and I'm playing in my first game (Star Wars) this weekend. If it goes well, I'll probably upgrade to the Ultimate license, and I could prepare and run a text-only D&D 5e game.

But I'd need time to prepare. E.g., pick a premade module, or (gulp) create a new one. Did you want to play the Beginners Box, or a different module, or a sandbox?

hc1980
January 9th, 2015, 19:20
Beginners box would be a good start since I'm new to role playing.

damned
January 9th, 2015, 22:33
hc1980 - perobably 10-15% of ganes are text only or largely text.
most users of Fantasy Grounds are in ongoing campaigns/games already so arent here looking/advertising for games/players.
you will find - just like in real life - it can take some time to gather a group of people with the same desires and availability and timezone - so dont stress when you dont get a response in 24 hours.

if you are interested in other genres but text only look up Dr_Venture he is running a Wild West (think Boot Hill) and a Castles and Crusades (think AD&D) text only campaigns and I believe has room in at least one of them. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17221-My-semi-anual-quest-for-semi-realistic-old-west-players

sometimes you cant find what you are looking for in your timezone and availability. think about running it instead and as you get a steady group together you can start to swap round the GM duties.

have fun!

GunnarGreybeard
January 10th, 2015, 08:24
I think I have enough of the D&D 5e Basic Rules parsed (still need to add in effects and some other minor things) to run a short campaign or a couple one shot text only games. PC's would be limited to the stuff in the basic rules, i.e., Fighter, Cleric, Rogue and Wizard. I have an ultimate license so anyone interested could connect using just the demo version.

Its been a few years since I GM'ed using FG so I'm pretty rusty there and haven't played a true D&D game for many, many moons. If there are a couple interested I think I can arrange something. My only night off is Wednesdays and best times would be 7-11PM (CST) which is close what might work for hc1980.

hc1980
January 10th, 2015, 19:45
That sounds good. I can play for about 2 hours on Wed. 8-10 EST.

GunnarGreybeard
January 11th, 2015, 14:10
That sounds good. I can play for about 2 hours on Wed. 8-10 EST.

Let me know if you need to connect Tuesday night (and about what time) and I can leave the server up for you to connect and enter your character info.

Doc Sportello
January 11th, 2015, 16:45
Will you be running the Lost Mines, GunnarGraybeard, or something else? I'm not yet sure whether I'm free that night, but I'm curious. (I've already run the Mines as a DM, so I wouldn't be a good choice to join as a player.)

GunnarGreybeard
January 11th, 2015, 17:11
Will probably be homebrew and since we will use text chat only it'll be something short as things generally go pretty slow till everyone kinda gets into a rhythm.

Ardem
January 15th, 2015, 07:16
If your not GMing then txt only is possible, a pair of headphones only and no mic. I had on occasion players that could not talk and replied in text, as a GM unless you got everything already written out it very hard to run a txt only in a given time frame.

damned
January 15th, 2015, 07:38
ive played a few sessions (at work <WEG>) and ive listed on TS and typed my actions with the occasional voice interjection if I got too excited or the GM missed my slow typing :)

GunnarGreybeard
January 15th, 2015, 13:02
Yeah, Text Only can be slow, especially if the GM is a slow typer or they are a bad typer and have to go back and re-edit each post before they hit enter. That last one would be me. I also find if you have more than 4 players its hard to keep up with all the banter and posts while you are go back and forth pulling up encounter, recheck story text and so on. Still though, the chat log makes it much easier to go back after the game and catch up on everything. But that's pretty much after the game ends for the night.

S Ferguson
January 15th, 2015, 16:37
Given Shadowrun 5e's rather extensive rules (especially if you have the Run Faster and other supplements, would IMHO would be very difficult to pull off in a text-based only game. Character generation alone would probably have to be done over a the course of about 2 nights per player (if you're using the standard character generation) to cover them properly. Combat would be a bit easier as the CT regulates "turns" between the different players. The actual roleplaying part is as noted is the numerous posts is the difficult part.

That being said, I've found that small - like 3 - players can conduct a text game no problem. Finding players who don't kump the gun, so to speak, is a different matter altogether. But with the right group it can work. It's slow moving, but functional.

@damned: I think Doc Venture's C&C western game has been put on hold indefinitely. That unless he's started it up again. It's C&C with elements of Sidewinder: Recoiled, Boot Hill 2e and down to earth research.

Cheers,
SF

Ampliturtle
January 18th, 2015, 01:01
Checking to see if ya'll are still recruiting, and whether your game plan has switched from Shadowrun to D&D or not. I'd really love to join either way. EST, weekends preferred but available on almost any day between 4 and 10 PM.

GunnarGreybeard
January 18th, 2015, 05:46
Checking to see if ya'll are still recruiting, and whether your game plan has switched from Shadowrun to D&D or not. I'd really love to join either way. EST, weekends preferred but available on almost any day between 4 and 10 PM.
Yes, we still have room and are playing D&D 5e on Wednesday night's from 7-9PM CST. I know that's a small window especially running text only which usually runs slower as far as game speed but we have some family restrictions that limit us to those general hours, at least at the present time.

You can join the game in the Calendar at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1320 or just post here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22929-Homebrew-5E-Text-Chat-Only-Game