PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with the server? 1/8/15

chillybilly
January 8th, 2015, 13:15
My group plays 5E once a week. Last week we had no troubles but last night, none of us could get a successful connection test (except one player). Is there some kind of trouble with the server? Still no success connecting to you guys this morning.

I've checked things on my end (IP still the same, port is still forwarded).

damned
January 8th, 2015, 13:21
Ive just tested successfully with and without Alias.
Best to report it *when* you are having the issue to help narrow it down.

Only the GM needs a successful connection test. Players getting successful test is irrelevant to successful game.
On the GM connection restart the router and the computer and check that not only is the port still forwarded but that your computer still has the same address.
Also make sure you are not connected by both network cable and wifi. FG will/can only bind to one IP at any one time and if you have 2 it is a lottery as to whether its the right one.

chillybilly
January 8th, 2015, 13:35
Thank you for the reply!

Still cannot connect, right now. Comcast's cable from outside feeds into their modem which goes to my router which goes to my computer. Exactly how its been for years (with successful FG connections). My external IP is the same as it's been for weeks (verified). 1802 is forwarded to my internal IP address (like it's been for years).

The ONLY change I can think of from last week was I downloaded a player ruleset (Extinction event from the Generic Ruleset Folder) and placed that in my ruleset folder... but reading the thread, other people have done it too seemingly without ill-effect. Wife's computer can't connect either.

Andraax
January 8th, 2015, 13:58
If you're not using static internal IP addresses, then DHCP on your router could have handed your computer a new internal address. You should verify that.

Trenloe
January 8th, 2015, 14:13
Wife's computer can't connect either.
Assuming you're wife's computer is on the same local network, when she tries to join your game use your (GM) internal address (as reported by Fantasy Grounds in the top right of the Load Campaign screen) to connect. See if that works - if it does, and the connection test doesn't work on your PC, then you have an issue with port forwarding.

chillybilly
January 8th, 2015, 14:15
My Internal IP is the same as what I have my router to forward port 1802 to. Double checking with both cmd, ipconfig and with what the FG program says my internal to be (they match). whatsmyip also matches what FG says my external ip is. I've turned off Windows Firewall (for now, just to be sure).

Trying that now, Trenloe!

Trenloe, when I start FG as the GM and try to connect with my wife's computer using my external IP, she cannot connect to host and I receive no "Trede is connecting" message. She can connect using my internal IP. I am focusing on port forwarding, like you suggest. I swear that my cisco router has port 1802 (TCP) forward to my internal IP XXX.XXX.X.140. Windows firewall is off (even though it allows FG).

I just actually opened up DMZ (which forwards all ports, right) to my internal IP. Still no connection.

Andraax
January 8th, 2015, 14:46
Starting to sound like Comcast made changes to the firewall within their modem.

chillybilly
January 8th, 2015, 14:49
Andraax, that is a very possible thing.

chillybilly
January 8th, 2015, 15:21
First, Thanks to damned, Andraax and Trenloe for answering so quickly. You folks are incredibly helpful to us peons!

Second, Andraax hit the bulls-eye. Comcast had changed a setting somehow. To be honest, I haven't ever been inside the latest modem that Comcast sent us because I could always connect to FG after I installed it. Obviously something changed between last week and this. I got inside, dropped the firewall and forwarded 1802 to my router and now I get a successful connection test. Using Trenloe's idea of attempting to connect via external IP from the wife's computer worked so I am pretty confident my other players will be able to also connect tonight (our make up session from last night).

Thanks again! Problem solved! My party can continue to figure out why Queen Ilesoa is acting all bratty in Korvosa.

Andraax
January 8th, 2015, 15:23
Make sure that your party kills the Queen's evil adviser Com-cast.

Nylanfs
January 8th, 2015, 17:51
I bet Com-Cast is slowing down her broadband...