PDA

View Full Version : Question about adding creatures

Sulimo
January 6th, 2015, 04:41
So I finished up the Middle-Earth races, and everything is working correctly (thanks everyone for your help).

I am now attempting to add creatures from Creatures of Middle-Earth (from MERP).

I was looking through the Creatures and Treasures module, and I am pretty sure I have it down, but I do have one question:

When looking at the creatures, there is a line for IQ. I have mapped out the numbers (seems to be 1-13), however, 12 and 13 seem to be the same (very high (94-99)). I looked at the tables, and everything I could think of, but whenever a creature has either 12 or 13 for IQ, it just displays the Very High IQ, and I think 13 should be (exceptional (100-102)). I am not sure if this is some sort of bug, or I am missing something, anyone have any ideas? It is not super important, but I thought I would ask if anyone knows.

One other quick question while I am thinking about it, I have a basic adventure created to help my group get used to using Fantasy Grounds, however, intermittently, when users connect up to my game, they cannot pull down the drop downs for Profession and Race when building a character. Eventually it worked, but I am not sure what I did to fix it, anyone else have this issue, and know the proper way to resolve it?

Thanks,

Dakadin
January 6th, 2015, 07:15
Good catch! There is a bug in the code that is setting anything over 12 to 12. That is why it isn't showing up correctly. I just tracked it down based on your post. Thanks for pointing it out. ;) It should be 12 = Very High, 13 = Exceptional.

The drop down issue is probably occurring when they connect for the first time and need to download a module. It can also happen if you change a module. The client needs a new version before it can populate the drop downs since it is done dynamically. Once they get the download it should work as long as the module isn't change.

Sulimo
January 6th, 2015, 17:35
Thanks for looking into the bug. I was not sure if it was one or not.

And thanks again for the advise about clients connecting. I have the ultimate license, and everyone else just has the free version. It eventually worked, but I was not sure what I did to fix it, I think maybe it was setting the modules to force load that finally got it though.

Now I just need to get a regular mouse :p, my Touch mouse does not allow me to click both buttons at once to get the measuring line on maps. It really only has one button, and determines which one by where you are touching, so I don't think it is a problem with the program, just the mouse is not capable of doing that.

Sulimo
January 8th, 2015, 00:01
Hey Dakadin, I noticed another potential bug. It is in the Max Pace settings. While the numbers go from 1-7, it seems that 7 is showing the same as 6. For example, for the animal Antelope-like Animal, Small, in the XML it shows <maxpace>7</maxpace> but when you open the creatures link from the module, it shows a max pace of Fast Sprint which corresponds to a 6 from what I can tell. Rodent, small has <maxpace>6</maxpace> and shows up as Fast Sprint when the creature is opened.

From what I can tell, the numbers should match up as follows:

1=- (N/A)
2=Walk
3=Jog
4=Run
5=Sprint
6=Fast Sprint
7=Dash (mapping to Fast Sprint instead)

It shows correctly in the Table, but not in the creature entry when it is opened.

If you need further details, please let me know.

Dakadin
January 8th, 2015, 03:06
Good catch! When the original creators setup this ruleset, I am guessing they didn't have the "-" at the beginning so their code for those is off by one when it is trying to prevent it from going over the maximum value. I will review the code for other possible instances but please let me know if you see anything else so I can include it in the next release.

Sulimo
January 8th, 2015, 04:21
That makes sense. If I spot anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. For right now, it will probably be related to the Creatures from C&T for now. So anuthing I spot will probably be there.

Dakadin
January 8th, 2015, 08:26
I just went through the code and there is one other place it occurs. In the Outlook field for NPCs/Creatures, "Varies" shows up as "-" in Creatures & Treasures and changes to the "Timid" with the description of "Skittish around other creatures, runs at the slightest hint of danger." when moved to the NPCs section in your campaign.

Sulimo
January 9th, 2015, 00:49
Interesting, I thought I checked that out, but now I am not so sure, for Outlook, I had the following as the mappings:

1=- N/A
2=agressive
3=aloof
4=altruistic
5=belligerent
6=beserk
7=carefree
8=cruel
9=domineering
10=good
11=greedy
12=hostile
13=hungry
14=inquisitive
15=jumpy
16=normal
17=passive
18=playful
19=protective
20=timid
21=varies

So far, so good on adding the new creatures to the new module, everything seems to be working like I would expect. Thanks again for your help.

Sulimo
January 9th, 2015, 02:10
So I found another issue; I would guess it is from the original programming. The Locale settings are not displaying correctly for the "burial areas". The code for that is supposed to be SS, however, there is a code for "saltwater shores/shallows" that is S. When looking at the creature itself, it shows "saltwater shores/shallows" twice. It does not seem to matter if it is pulled from the Creature link in C&T, or if it is dragged to the NPCs and checked there.

Dakadin
January 9th, 2015, 06:01
Interesting, I thought I checked that out, but now I am not so sure, for Outlook, I had the following as the mappings:

1=- N/A
2=agressive
3=aloof
4=altruistic
5=belligerent
6=beserk
7=carefree
8=cruel
9=domineering
10=good
11=greedy
12=hostile
13=hungry
14=inquisitive
15=jumpy
16=normal
17=passive
18=playful
19=protective
20=timid
21=varies

So far, so good on adding the new creatures to the new module, everything seems to be working like I would expect. Thanks again for your help.

Yeah those mappings look correct but 21 = varies won't show up correctly in the listing from Creatures and Treasures. You can check it by looking at drakes or golems if you look in your PDF or physical copies. It also won't show the correct description as an NPC.

Dakadin
January 9th, 2015, 06:01
So I found another issue; I would guess it is from the original programming. The Locale settings are not displaying correctly for the "burial areas". The code for that is supposed to be SS, however, there is a code for "saltwater shores/shallows" that is S. When looking at the creature itself, it shows "saltwater shores/shallows" twice. It does not seem to matter if it is pulled from the Creature link in C&T, or if it is dragged to the NPCs and checked there.

Thanks. I will look into that one.