PDA

View Full Version : Large Modules

Nylanfs
January 3rd, 2015, 18:31
I'm working on converting the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil to FG. It's pretty damn big. I'm wondering if I should break it apart into separate modules along the Parts listed? Part 1: Hommlet, Part 2: The Temple of All-Comsumption, Part 3: The Rebirth of Elemental Evil.

How do other people handle large modules like this?

darrenan
January 3rd, 2015, 18:55
When I do APs, I put each part in it's own module. I usually also create a 'global' module for anything that spans the entire campaign, such as towns, NPCs, etc. Also make good use of the group tabs to keep each page of stories, encounters, npcs, etc. easy to manage so you don't need to scroll too much. Also, when creating modules, make sure to assign a name to the 'default' group tab, otherwise if you have several modules loaded you'll have several unnamed group tabs which can make it hard to find things in a hurry.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2015, 18:56
I split up my modules into chapters/parts from the scenario. Usually along the lines of what is a good split - e.g. location, event arc, etc.. This allows you to close the module when the event arc is over, or open/close a module when the PCs arrive at/leave a location.

Start with the parts you've outlined above and if they get too large/unwieldy then split those up further - perhaps around the chapters.

Nickademus
January 3rd, 2015, 22:08
I've read through that adventure before and yes, I recommend what you are suggesting.

**Spoilers**

Make a module for Hommlet, one for the ruined moathouse, one for Nulb, one for the old Temple, one to four for the new Temple (possibly one for each quarter of the ring), and one for the spire and planar content. Might even want a universal one for adventure-wide content and statistics like the new spells and prestige classes. There is no penalty to having content abstracted so spread the memory usage around.

That is a big project. Kudos if you get it done and I hope you have fun running it. I have been wanting to do so for a long time.

Nylanfs
January 4th, 2015, 04:38
I have everything for Hommlet worked up now, working on getting the NPC's input from PCGen using the Creature Parser (Man it does NOT like spellcasters).

And I have everything on different tabs on the story and encounter windows I thought that might be enough but I think I am going to break everything up at this point. To bad you can't have a module of modules. :)

darrenan
January 4th, 2015, 05:58
You can reference other modules from a module. You just need to make sure they are all loaded in the overarching campaign, otherwise you'll get missing reference errors.