PDA

View Full Version : Extinction Event Release

Ardem
January 2nd, 2015, 04:48
Many moons ago now I wrote a core ruleset called Extinction Event.

The ruleset was based on my desire to create a mechanically lite but detailed ruleset for a modern apostolic setting. I ran a couple of Alpha tests earlier in the year and displayed it at the mid Year Con. As a GM I was very happy with the results and the very gritty atmosphere and game play that was involved.

The ruleset is complete however there are still a number of things I would like to include, however I will do over time. I look forward to people using the ruleset and enjoying it. I am open to any suggestions or improvements people would like to see me make. Feel free to send me a PM at any stage and I will endeavor to answer it as quickly as possible.

Download Ruleset
Current Version 0.90 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/FG/EE/0_9/ExtinctionEvent.pak) Tested with 3.2.3

Old
Current Version 0.80 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/FG/EE/0_8/ExtinctionEvent.pak) Tested with 3.2.0
0.71 Beta (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/FG/EE/0_71/ExtinctionEvent.pak)
0.7 Beta (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/fg/ee/0_7/ExtinctionEvent.pak) Use only with 3.0.9

Download Module
Current Version 0_9 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/fg/ee/0_9/ExtinctionEventBasicRules.mod)
0_7 Beta (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4316559/fg/ee/0_7/ExtinctionEvent-Basic-Rules.mod)

This is an except from the introduction

Extinction Event is a Tabletop Roleplaying game that brings together various concepts to suit a modern and post-modern setting. It is a survival game at heart where the setting is unknown to the characters before they start.
This makes character selection and creation very interesting, as well as game play.

There are various settings that this game mechanics are aimed at, however they are not limited to. Some of these setting include
- Alien Invasion
- Post Nuclear Holocaust
- Chemical/Virus induced human manipulation
- Hollow Earth event
The characters start their various lives are normal every day humans, that have a variety of skills. The world over night changes causing these every day humans to stretch for survival.
The gameplay is an hour by hour event, in most cases. The mundane is much apart of the survival as the fantastic, and most time interlinked. The search for food, water and shelter are necessary requirements but hindering this is the setting that the characters find themselves in.
A GamesMaster has a little bit of work to do before a campaign starts, however there are parts of this manual to help a GamesMaster quickly create the desired creature and lore quickly.

Mask_of_winter
January 2nd, 2015, 05:48
Thanks for sharing! I'll have a look.

damned
January 2nd, 2015, 06:25
Awesome! Well done Ardem.

Oberoten
January 2nd, 2015, 06:48
Bravo. :) Will be taking this one for a spin.

- Obe

Mask_of_winter
January 3rd, 2015, 12:37
It looks great!

Keep in mind I don't know the rules but every time I click on the die icon for a skill or what not I get this error: Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:241: attempt to index field 'targeting' (a nil value)
Not sure if it's because of what I'm doing or because I'm using 3.0.10. I remember this test release causing all kinds of conflicts with other rulesets and it was the same error.

damned
January 3rd, 2015, 14:24
Works fine in 3.0.9
Do we know what the fix was for 3.0.10 in the other rulesets?

Ardem
January 4th, 2015, 00:25
It looks great!

Keep in mind I don't know the rules but every time I click on the die icon for a skill or what not I get this error: Script Error: [string "desktop/scripts/modifierstack.lua"]:241: attempt to index field 'targeting' (a nil value)
Not sure if it's because of what I'm doing or because I'm using 3.0.10. I remember this test release causing all kinds of conflicts with other rulesets and it was the same error.

Thanks for the headsup on this, I going to have to download 3.0.10 and correct the fault it is obvious that 3.0.10 has remove or relocated some default code I am using. 3.0.9 works fine, as far as I can see.

Ikael
January 4th, 2015, 01:11
Thanks for the headsup on this, I going to have to download 3.0.10 and correct the fault it is obvious that 3.0.10 has remove or relocated some default code I am using. 3.0.9 works fine, as far as I can see.
In 3.0.10 CoreRPG expects that in modifierstack there is controller named targeting. It's easy fix just check how modifierstack controlled and scripts is implemented in 3.0.10 codes

Ardem
January 4th, 2015, 06:18
Created a new version 0.71 which will work with 3.0.10, There is an error using this version in 3.0.9 in combat window due to extra information please only use this version in 3.0.10.

Note: Please remember on skill rolls the modifier just changes the target number, it does not show up in the die roll on skill checks. A negtive modifier bring down the target number whereas a positive modifier increases the target number. It does not modify the dice rolled, the reason for this is the ruleset can limit the modifier so it does not go past 9 or less then 1.

Ardem
January 14th, 2015, 02:00
Just curious does anyone know how I would get this added to the Wiki under community rulesets so its not lost.

Moon Wizard
January 14th, 2015, 02:55
Send me a PM and I'll do it.

JPG

Ardem
April 14th, 2015, 03:29
Fixed up the front page to reflect the right download.

chillybilly
May 17th, 2015, 17:14
Very nice ruleset.

Ardem
May 18th, 2015, 00:29
I noticed you edit the post, so I am guessing you found the option. To tell you the truth I cannot remember if I put it in or not <smile>

chillybilly
May 18th, 2015, 13:00
I hope this was OK but I copied the ruleset set, opened the copy and then just removed two quotation marks from a line in the file that returns the dice rolls depending on who rolled.

I REALLY love this ruleset. It's an impressive accomplishment. My players will freak out, though, if they can't see my rolls for the NPCs.

Ardem
May 19th, 2015, 01:04
That fine it a free ruleset, what I will do however I will add an option in the preference file for GM displayed rolls on or off.

As for your players freaking out, they will freak out more when you will be unable to fudge the wound roll if that how you wish to play it. This is a very very deadly ruleset, one npc good wound roll will kill them. If this is too harsh for your players you can implement a fate point system, that makes you reroll your wound rolls.

I myself love the harshness and it normally pay your character in a death or a debilitating wound if they screw up in a firefight.

Example from the last FG Con one shot, one of the players move behind a tree which was out in the open to get a better shot. He got his better shot and was pinned behind the tree, he tried to make a dash to a wall, however one of the enemy took him down with a gut wound, he was out of the rest the fight, so was another player trying to stop the bleeding. Luckily one guy was able to hold off the enemy and eventually took the rest out.

I am glad you like the ruleset, I am hoping and your players get a great amount of fun out of it. Any question some suggestions feel free to let me know.

chillybilly
May 19th, 2015, 01:13
That fine it a free ruleset, what I will do however I will add an option in the preference file for GM displayed rolls on or off.

As for your players freaking out, they will freak out more when you will be unable to fudge the wound roll if that how you wish to play it. This is a very very deadly ruleset, one npc good wound roll will kill them. If this is too harsh for your players you can implement a fate point system, that makes you reroll your wound rolls.

I myself love the harshness and it normally pay your character in a death or a debilitating wound if they screw up in a firefight.

Example from the last FG Con one shot, one of the players move behind a tree which was out in the open to get a better shot. He got his better shot and was pinned behind the tree, he tried to make a dash to a wall, however one of the enemy took him down with a gut wound, he was out of the rest the fight, so was another player trying to stop the bleeding. Luckily one guy was able to hold off the enemy and eventually took the rest out.

I am glad you like the ruleset, I am hoping and your players get a great amount of fun out of it. Any question some suggestions feel free to let me know.

With some of the crueler game systems, I usually give my PCs drama points or something to help mitigate fierce damage. It's just that my PCs are used to being able to see NPCs attack them. It's almost liberating to have attacks and damage out of my hands. I can entirely "root" for the PCs and it's the "machine" that is killing them.

Ardem
May 19th, 2015, 02:47
That is true, I almost feel sorry for my players, because things tend to be out of my hands once the enemy has been put down. Just remember to keep telling them that cover is there friend, and the only thing that tends to keep them alive. When no cover make yourself as small as possible. (unless in melee)

Ardem
January 15th, 2016, 02:04
Hey guys,

Sorry for the not so often updates however I fixed the bugs in the Ruleset to work with 3.1.5. All good now. i will try to update this more regularly in the future.

Ardem
November 8th, 2016, 02:47
Tested with 3.2.0 there seem to be no glaring bugs or broken pieces so looks ok, to use this version.

Ardem
February 14th, 2017, 05:31
Release of 0_9

For download see post #1

Update of Graphical Icons

Drag and drop of inventory error (fixed)
Drag Drop of Weapon to include DamageType and FireMode (fixed)
Updated code to be compatible with 3.2.3

Update of Module
Some Data types corrected due to inaccuracy

Hlynrian
September 17th, 2018, 01:52
This download link is not working. Still active ruleset?

Ardem
September 17th, 2018, 01:54
This download link is not working. Still active ruleset?

I have not updated it for a while, so it might be broken. Give me a few days to check it out, and update it to the lastest Core version. Just been busy with a whole lot of other stuff, thanks for your interest.