PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Targeting and Advantage/Disadvantage

Draca
December 29th, 2014, 00:13
I tried to create an effect that would provide advantage to a single target.

I can get every other effect to work properly but this one.

Has anyone else successfully used third party targeting to gain advantage against a single target?

Zacchaeus
December 29th, 2014, 16:34
Is this related to your post below?

I presume you mean that what you want to do is something like player 'a' casts a spell on monster 'b', allowing player 'c' to have advantage on an attack on monster 'b'. To set something like that up you would need a test condition on player 'c' to see if he would gain advantage against monster 'b', as well as an effect on monster 'b', which need only be a keyword. So player 'a' would add an effect to the monster (eg hitme) and then add an effect to player 'c' along the lines of IFT: hitme; GRANTADVATK. You would need to add the 'hitme' keyword to an extension (as described in your other post). However as far as we can tell at the moment the IF and IFT functions are not working with any of the advantage/disadvantage functions in 5E, and without that I can't see any way to make what you want to do work.

Currently FG can't test for conditions such as a particular PC's name etc, but you could add the names of PCs to an extension and use those for some things. However, again, until IF and IFT work with the Advantage/Disadvantage functions it would not be possible.

Of course if you are trying to do something other than what I have assumed above a more explicit description of what you are trying to achieve would be helpful :)

Draca
December 29th, 2014, 23:39
For instance if you create an effect of ATK: 2 [self]
and shift drop it on a foe, it will give you and only you +2 to attack that target.

I tried to do this with ADVATK [self] , but it does not produce the same effect.

As far as an extension i have already modified Trenloes alignment extension to create a new condition of vow-of-emnity
Then apply to my self IFT: vow-of-emnity; ADVATK

This does not work either.

Both methods work with everything but advantage / disadvantage.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2014, 01:52
I think there is a general issue with targeted effects (IF, IFT or actually targeting the effect) for advantage and disadvantage. Whether it's the same code I'm note sure, but I'm guessing it's related.

Draca
December 30th, 2014, 02:07
Well at least i learned how to modify an extension =)

Now to wait for the fix =)

Moon Wizard
January 8th, 2015, 19:18
Targeted effect modifiers for the ATK effect type are not applied until the AC is checked. You should see a [EFFECTS +X] or [DEF EFFECTS +X] in the result line which indicates the original roll as well as crit/hit/miss status. It will not modify the roll itself.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
January 8th, 2015, 23:24
Targeted effect modifiers for the ATK effect type are not applied until the AC is checked. You should see a [EFFECTS +X] or [DEF EFFECTS +X] in the result line which indicates the original roll as well as crit/hit/miss status. It will not modify the roll itself.\
So, can you use targeted effects that grant advantage/disadvantage?

Moon Wizard
January 9th, 2015, 01:35
I just checked it with the latest beta that I pushed today. It probably didn't work before that, since that particular effect (adv) needs to be checked before the roll is even made. This also means that rolls made to chat window and dragged to target from chat window will not apply adv/dis, since there are no dice rolled at that point.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2015, 18:24
So just to make sure that I am getting the syntax and everything right, and that what I am trying to do is feasible:

I add an effect to a beastie; let's say charmed for the sake of argument, and I have something in my arsenal which gives me attack advantage on any beastie which is charmed. So I attach an effect to myself along the lines of IFT: Charmed; GRANTADVATK: melee. As far as I can see this should work now, but it isn't. Since you have fixed this Moon Wizard I am doing something wrong so what is it?

(Just by the way the spellchecker doesn't recognise 'beastie' but will accept beasties. Can't have been many Scotsman who developed that one :) )

Trenloe
January 11th, 2015, 18:32
GRANTADKATK means that people get advantage on attacks against you, not against your targets. Use ADVATK and it should work.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

And, you need to set your system for language EN_sc if you want it to recognise beastie. ;-)

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2015, 18:54
GRANTADKATK means that people get advantage on attacks against you, not against your targets. Use ADVATK and it should work.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

And, you need to set your system for language EN_sc if you want it to recognise beastie. ;-)

Ah, yes, what a tool I am. Thank you for this. And I'll get right on setting the language :)