PDA

View Full Version : Par5e appears to not have problems with Class but it does not show up

JesterOC
December 27th, 2014, 05:04
I have just finished the basic backgrounds and went on to classes (Thanks Xorn for the killer tutorials). I pasted in and marked up the Cleric and it appears to parse correctly [Cleric - OK] (in green) no other warnings but when I exit the model and reload it (I even exited the program and reloaded the module, only the table and backgrounds entries show up.

Any suggestions? Thanks
-Update
I have noticed that it does not seem to complete. It just hangs after
Make : backgrounds (reference) ............. [Completed]
Thus it seems to hang before writing out
Make : class (reference)

By removing all the text after Equipment it completes
Still searching ....

-Final Update
All is not perfect yet, but it appears the problem was a #abf feature where I accidentally had a space between the level and the CR/LF
I also had forgotten a trailing semicolon in a list. But that just created a malformed xlm message not a silent fail.

JesterOC

El Condoro
December 27th, 2014, 07:20
When I opened your attached XML file in Wordpad it showed a lot of weird characters - —
I would get rid of those as a start, although there might still be other issues.

JesterOC
December 27th, 2014, 16:24
Using Notepad++ I don't see any odd characters. I am running on windows.

Kelendros78
December 27th, 2014, 18:29
All my classes work. what I would do is make a seperate text file parse one class at first then two you will find the issue class this way...also try deleting your temp folder and reparseing

Kelendros78
December 27th, 2014, 18:33
right off the bat I noticed that you are using #th as a row which it's not meant for...its just the title of the table. you should leave it as a row.

#th;Level Bonus;Features;

should be
#th;Cleric
#tr;Level;Bonus;Features;

it is very picky on syntax if you don't do it exactly right at worse it will error, but its supper picky about tables which will make it fail more times than not.

Ixion
March 14th, 2015, 02:15
I am hanging on classes as well. I cannot figure out where the issue is. I have also been following Xorn's excellent tutorial, using Notepad++ for the markup. My markups are in UTF-8 w/o BOM. I compared my markups to the Par5e user guide. My backgrounds went swimmingly. No issues.
However, I set up Barbarian for the first class, went to parse it to make sure I didn't have any issues, and it hangs. It says ready, but the status bar remains unfinished, and it never gets to Make : class (reference). I have back-edited to see if I can find a cause, but even if I go to just ##;Barbarian, no file is made.

The Scriven One
March 14th, 2015, 21:26
In case you're a complete newbie to coding/etc, like me, here are some things to check...

Extra or missing ";"

":" instead of ";"

"0" instead of "O"

"1" instead of "I" (ocr issues)

Other numbers in the wrong places

Strange characters such as a stray '

double spaces instead of a single space

Extra line breaks- make sure you have special character set to display (via the show all character button on top bar), and remove these in extended search mode with a find and replace on "\r\n\r\n" to "\r\n"

Tables that are formatted wrong, such as not having a closing #te; term.

And that's all I can think of for now. I hope it helps.

The Scriven One
March 14th, 2015, 21:34
If you need an example of markup that parses, here's a custom class (no WotC material) I wrote that I got to parse with help from people on the forums. I haven't fully tested it, so there may still be issues with it. You're welcome to use it in your games too. :D

Ixion
March 14th, 2015, 21:50
Thanks The Scriven One. I am in the process of going through my markup. I will certainly keep an eye out for those problems, because it can be the smallest thing. Fortunately, I skipped Classes for now, and moved onto equipment. So far, equipment has parsed just fine.
The little things can be frustrating, but I still feel it will be worth it. :)

The Scriven One
March 14th, 2015, 22:27
Yeah, it's definitely awesome, especially when you first open your book and it works. I love that I can use my own material in FG.

Ixion
March 16th, 2015, 00:36
I am banging my head. I have been through it line-by-line, double checking everything. Nothing pops out. No stray characters, no mis-used semi-colons and all the right places. No weird line breaks. I try to parse, and all I get is a hanged Par5e. Not even an error. If I had even the slightest idea of where to look for the problem, I would, but since I am not even getting errors, I don't have any idea.

Ixion
March 16th, 2015, 00:45
Consequently, I loaded your class, parsed it, and it came out squeaky clean. I am frustrated. They say patience is a virtue. ;)

The Scriven One
March 16th, 2015, 02:45
I really don't know what to suggest- maybe try to parse each class by itself and see which ones work?

Ixion
March 16th, 2015, 02:52
Yep, that is what I plan on doing next. In the meantime, I am going to continue marking up and parsing all the other things when I get too frustrated. I haven't had any issues with anything but classes, naturally :D

Ixion
March 16th, 2015, 02:58
Aha, I figured it out, not 10 seconds later. I had it marked up as

#bp;Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per barbarian level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level after 1st
#bp;Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival.
#bp;Equipment
when it should have been

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per barbarian level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival.
Equipment

Notice the difference ;)
Thank you for taking the time to help me though!

The Scriven One
March 16th, 2015, 03:37
Yep. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. The stray #bp; thing got me as well. I finally found someone mentioning that Par5E naturally formats certain text, and adding that kind of thing messes with its ability to process the file.

sunamaru subaku
August 4th, 2016, 21:10
I have completed the Barbarian class as my first instead. I have completed the parse just fine. no problem. I go to load in FG and it isnt showing classes tab. I dont know what to do. My backgrounds and tables are still there, just no classes. also I have checked the class.txt in configuration.