PDA

View Full Version : More Mac Questions and Troubles - Help Pretty Please

Trueshots
December 25th, 2014, 15:50
Problems:

1 - I can no longer copy and paste from pdf (or any document) into FG. Any clue why?

2 - How do I get the GM extensions I had on my PC, the GM extensions, etc.

3 - I have dozens of error messages when logging on, I just click off of them and am able to play but I'm wondering why I'm having so many. I'm running through Steam (which I absolutely hate!) and half the time I can't get the game to load.

4 - Can still not access any FG files, It seems they are in hidden areas of my computer. I have still yet to get the PF Character converter to open. But for a simple example, putting a picture into the portraits folder, I can't do this in the normal way. I have to actually be in game and put it in from inside. Ive posted a screen shot of the FG folder (being empty) and the true folder in the game that actually have a few of my portraits in it.

5 - So to sum up I think there is an use of where my files are or something, I wish I knew more about computers, especially Mac's to explain this better.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2014, 20:03
I'm probably not the one to answer your question since I don't have a Mac; but it seems to me that the software hasn't loaded properly. I know that my son, who does own a Mac, used one of the posts above to walk himself through the installation procedure using something called Wine. By that I mean he didn't install the software via Steam although it was bought (for him - by me) through that medium.
The PDF thing I can answer I think; FG is a windows program so it uses the CTRL+C/CTRL+V to copy paste. However macs do not use that convention, they use some other key (possible CONTROL?). At any rate when you copy you use the Mac way to Copy but when you paste you use the windows way. (So possibly CONTROL+C and then CTRL+V).

Trueshots
December 26th, 2014, 20:10
I'm probably not the one to answer your question since I don't have a Mac; but it seems to me that the software hasn't loaded properly.
I think I finally got it working yesterday, was able to load portraits, extensions, modules, etc. So as of now I'm good, and its a BILLION times better than going through Steam

The PDF thing I can answer I think; FG is a windows program so it uses the CTRL+C/CTRL+V to copy paste. However macs do not use that convention, they use some other key (possible CONTROL?). At any rate when you copy you use the Mac way to Copy but when you paste you use the windows way. (So possibly CONTROL+C and then CTRL+V).
Yea I do that. mac is command + c and command +v......but its depends on what I'm copying from on what it allows me to actually copy and paste, its very weird!

Trenloe
December 26th, 2014, 20:24
Copy/pasting within Mac has been mentioned a few times on the forums - searching for "mac copy paste" will give you a solution in the second thread returned in the search results. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21855-Cannot-Paste-within-Fantasy-Grounds-(Mac-osx)&p=184114&viewfull=1#post184114

Trueshots
December 26th, 2014, 20:33
Copy/pasting within Mac has been mentioned a few times on the forums - searching for "mac copy paste" will give you a solution in the second thread returned in the search results. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21855-Cannot-Paste-within-Fantasy-Grounds-(Mac-osx)&p=184114&viewfull=1#post184114

Do you literally know everything? How about, do you know if there is life on other planets? Have a shot at that one :)

Ill dl that app and try it after this game I'm in.

damned
December 26th, 2014, 23:27
he does know everything... which is great - but a little demoralising at the same time... :)

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2014, 14:01
he does know everything... which is great - but a little demoralising at the same time... :)

Actually Damned knows a whole lot too; so it's all round great for us new to this software. It isn't said enough but you guys are just fantastic and are making the FG experience, which is already good, just great.

Oh, and Trueshots, David Bowie has been asking that question since 1971. At least as far as Mars is concerned. :)

Trueshots
December 27th, 2014, 22:50
well thought I may have found the answer for my copy an paste issue. the program mentioned above did not work so I deleted it from my computer now. anything I copy and past looks like these photos no matter where I copy from or where I copy to. Any thoughts of whats causing this?

suntzu777
January 5th, 2015, 11:53
Your issue is not with the fantasy grounds.exe embedded within wineskin (steam version) but the wineskin package from steam , personally i use crossover and do a install of fantasy grounds into crossover , i downloaded the steam version and put my serial into it and had the exact same issues , i am guessing but it maybe how fantasy grounds is "packaged" inside wineskin in the steam version

one thing i did find is that if you copy via cmd-c and paste via ctrl-v that does work

Rob

Trueshots
January 5th, 2015, 19:48
steam version
Rob I don't use the steam version . I actually completely deleted steam off my computer.

Trenloe
January 5th, 2015, 19:54
Rob I don't use the steam version . I actually completely deleted steam off my computer.
Did you use the Steam wine wrapper or did you configure Wine yourself?

Essentially, we're looking at this being a Wine config issue - not allowing proper copy/paste. Check the link HoloGnome gave you here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21855-Cannot-Paste-within-Fantasy-Grounds-%28Mac-osx%29&p=195756&viewfull=1#post195756

darrenan
January 5th, 2015, 20:15
The issue ended up being a VPN that Trueshots had running. Once he turned that off, everything started working.

EDIT: woops replied to wrong thread, please ignore.

Trueshots
January 5th, 2015, 22:31
Yup, different issue :) I will say this emphatically, I am continually amazed at the community support here on FG. The people here make real sacrifice to help others. It's ashamed this is the Internet and not my local community!