PDA

View Full Version : 5E Request & FG Question

Xorn
December 24th, 2014, 18:53
5E Request: It would be nice if an untyped DMG effect just increased the damage it's modifying, instead of adding untyped damage. For example the default parse for a hobgoblin's "sneak attack" is DMG: 2D6. When the damage roll is made, it's 1d8+1 slashing, and 2d6 untyped. So a raging barbarian with RESIST: slashing only resists the 1d8+1. If you manually change the effect to DMG: 2d6 slashing, then it behaves correctly. Since pretty much all monster entries don't specify a damage type, I'll be fixing a lot of these.

FG Question: I really rearrange the crap out of my FG window these days--I put the party tracker in the top left, shrink the chat window and put it below the party tracker with the combat tracker next to it, and use the rest of the screen for maps/images. I also move the dice over to the right side above the tokens (dropping them till they land nicely). Is there any way to save the way I've positioned everything between sessions?

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2014, 21:56
5E Request: It would be nice if an untyped DMG effect just increased the damage it's modifying, instead of adding untyped damage. For example the default parse for a hobgoblin's "sneak attack" is DMG: 2D6. When the damage roll is made, it's 1d8+1 slashing, and 2d6 untyped. So a raging barbarian with RESIST: slashing only resists the 1d8+1. If you manually change the effect to DMG: 2d6 slashing, then it behaves correctly. Since pretty much all monster entries don't specify a damage type, I'll be fixing a lot of these.

Hmm, an interesting point which has passed me by. It works the other way round too; I just noticed that the rogue PC hasn't entered a type for his sneak attack damage; so that will have to be corrected.

FG Question: I really rearrange the crap out of my FG window these days--I put the party tracker in the top left, shrink the chat window and put it below the party tracker with the combat tracker next to it, and use the rest of the screen for maps/images. I also move the dice over to the right side above the tokens (dropping them till they land nicely). Is there any way to save the way I've positioned everything between sessions?

I think the answer to this one is no, although being fairly new to this application I could be missing something but I can't see it. :)

Xorn
December 25th, 2014, 12:54
I'm sure the long answer is an extension for the second one. Then I could have the chat window, the dice, ad modifier stack all pre arranged. The party tracker and combat tracker positions are stored still.

Trenloe
December 25th, 2014, 18:42
Position of windows (combat tracker, party sheet, etc.) is stored in windowstate.xml in the campaign directory. The size and positions in this file will be used when the window is opened.

It doesn't look like the size/position of the chat window is stored in this file. So, as it is at the moment, you will have to resize the chat window each time but the other windows should keep their size/position between sessions - you'll just have to open them.

spoofer
January 2nd, 2015, 09:57
the rogue PC hasn't entered a type for his sneak attack damage

Ohhh, that is it!!! That is why the sneak attack dice will not crit, even when you hold down the shift key. Added a damage type to it, and bingo, now the dice are doubled if you hold down a crit key. It looks like untyped damage dice do not double even if you hold down the shift key. I have not checked what happens after rolling a natural 20 on an attack.

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2015, 14:08
This also happened the other night in a short testing scenario I had with my players and the wizard critted his Chromatic Orb. Since the damage type for that spell is variable I had not thought to put in a type; so it would not roll any critical dice even though it knew that there had been a crit. So the moral of the tale is make sure that you put some kind of damage type in if you want FG to roll those criticals.

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2015, 16:24
Oh, and just as an FYI the current test version has been updated and now does include the base damage type in bonus effects.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22515-Test-release-v3-0-10/page2

grapper
January 23rd, 2015, 18:12
Oh, and just as an FYI the current test version has been updated and now does include the base damage type in bonus effects.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22515-Test-release-v3-0-10/page2

I've had a problem with this. Our paladin used divine smite against a monster with resistance to bludgeoning damage, but not to radiant. However, the "DMG: 2d8 radiant" became "2d8 bludgeoning, radiant" when the damage was applied and the radiant damage was halved. I don't think there should have been any resistance against the radiant portion of the damage. I think that adding the base type to bonus damage should only happen when no explicit type is given.

Zacchaeus
January 24th, 2015, 20:54
I haven't got a Paladin in my group so I haven't needed to look explicitly at the Paladin skill set. Looking at your piccy however it would appear that you have created an effect for the Divine smite which has been dropped onto the Paladin. I think for this type of thing, since Divine Smite deals a different damage type altogether, I'd set up the Divine Smite effect as a cast and just roll that damage separately. The kind of thing we were talking about above is where there is added damage such as when a Rogue uses sneak attack which feeds off the damage type of the weapon being used. i.e. it is 'untyped' damage. Divine Smite isn't untyped - it is radiant damage - and is therefore almost a separate attack from the main one, whereas Sneak Attack is just one attack with added damage.

Moon Wizard
January 26th, 2015, 18:44
The current implementation inherits damage type from the weapon used for damage effects, based on some research I did for PFRPG/3.5E/4E a while back. There is not as much information or discussion on 5E yet as there was historically for 3.5E/PFRPG.

I can see it going either way depending on the interpretation of the GM, but I'm leaning towards removing weapon type if damage effect has explicit type. Give me some time to dwell on it.

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
January 26th, 2015, 20:24
I can see it going either way depending on the interpretation of the GM, but I'm leaning towards removing weapon type if damage effect has explicit type. Give me some time to dwell on it.

I'm inclined to agree. If we take the two examples above, Sneak Attack and Divine Smite. In the case of sneak attack it is fairly obviously that the damage must relate to the weapon being used. Our enterprising rogue isn't using some other weapon for his sneak attack; it's all coming from his knowledge of creature anatomy/positioning or whatever. So the damage must follow logically from whatever weapon he is using. Same for Xorn's Hobgoblin.

On the other hand Divine Smite is an altogether different kind of damage. Sure it is related to the hit from whatever weapon is being used but it is some Divine Power which is causing the added damage, not the actual weapon. The weapon is simply a conduit.

One thing I also noticed is that spells can't have multiple damage types. I'm thinking of such spells as Chromatic Orb where the caster chooses the type of damage. It would be handy(ish) to have the ability to add a number of types of damage to such spells.

Moon Wizard
January 27th, 2015, 00:18
I found evidence online earlier today to support the full inheritance of damage types specifically for 4E, which is where this bit of effect handling probably originated.

Regards,
JPG