PDA

View Full Version : how to install community content on Steam / Mac version

seewhatsinmybrain
December 20th, 2014, 12:01
Brand new to FG - just bought it from Steam, running on a Mac.

How do I install community created content? Everything says to put the content here or there in a specific path, but its all referencing Windows paths.

This is on a Mac and the "open folder" button in the main UI does nothing.

Thanks in advance!

ddavison
December 20th, 2014, 14:32
I replied via Twitter already, but I've compiled a few tips for Steam Mac users here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/626329820884543295/

Tips for Mac Users
Cutting and Pasting from outside FG into your campaign
Fantasy Grounds only supports pasting of plain text and unfortunately, there are a number of different ctrl characters, hidden HTML and more in many sources that you may want to paste from. I played around with a couple different options to remap shortcut keys to Paste and Match Style; however, the best solution for me was to locate and install an application called PlainClip. Once installed, you can open the application with the Shift key down to set the preferences and configure it for the first time. This puts one additional step in the process to copy and paste into FG but it allows you to paste from any source (so far as I can tell.)

https://www.bluem.net/en/mac/plain-clip/

New copy and paste process:

Highlight text you want and press Command+C
Launch PlainClip (it runs without an interface and normally finishes immediately)
Place your cursor in FG where you want it and press CTRL+V

With that setup, I was able to paste entire sections, including HTML, directly from d20pfsrd into FG.

Adding files from outside Fantasy Grounds
Your campaign may need new tokens, images and maps from outside Fantasy Grounds. These typically go into your hosts/tokens folder, into your modules folder (for .mod files), into your portraits folder or into your campaigns' individual Images folder for maps and handouts.

The folder path is very long. There are two options to get you there.
a. Launch a campaign and go to Images & Maps and then click the Folder icon. That will place you in the campaign's image folder. You can navigate up from there to reach the root data folder from FG
b. Right-click in Steam and go to Properties | Local Files > Browse local files. You should see FantasyGrounds.app. Right click on it and choose Show Package Contents. There is a drive_C folder inside the app that you can drill into to reach your files like you would on a Windows PC.

The path should look similar to this
drive_c\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\[Your Campaign Name]\Images

The folder button on the launch screen has been fixed on Mac in our Test channel but hasn't been rolled out to Live mode yet. Once updated, it will start opening a Finder window for you from our launch screen. You can check this out by switching your FG Settings to Test Mode if you want.

Performance Improvement
Turn off the Steam overlay since the command keys to launch and interact with the overlay currently interfere with keys used by FG. Right click on Fantasy Grounds in your Steam library and choose Properties. Uncheck the box to enable the Steam Overlay. It is on by default.

seewhatsinmybrain
December 21st, 2014, 01:49
I replied via Twitter already, but I've compiled a few tips for Steam Mac users here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/626329820884543295/

Thanks - folder button works great in test as you said. Appreciate the reply.