PDA

View Full Version : bandwidth question :)

JulioIP
December 20th, 2014, 11:00
i have read the other posts on bandwidth.

running speednet test i dl 59 mbps and upload at 12 mbps. so if there are any issues with latency its probably not from my end. is that safe to assume? i understand about maps sizes and tokens etc. but i am going to start my first game later today and from what i read i got the impression that my connection should be more than adequate so if we have any issues it would probably be on their end.

Mask_of_winter
December 20th, 2014, 11:19
As a GM the upload speed is more important. And the brunt of the data transfer will occur during the first connection. I have an upload speed of 0.7mbps and run many one shots. If everybody tries to connect at once it can take a while for me so I try to stagger their entry.

I would still try to keep map size under 1mb and shared tokens to a minimum though.

But yeah, if you run into any problems, it shouldn't be on your end. :)

Good luck with your first game!

JulioIP
December 20th, 2014, 11:34
ty :) im super exicited, we are starting savage tide. should be a blast!!! im expecting quite a learning curve but its a group ive played with for years but hardly ever have a chance to get together with cuz of RL!! so im hoping to go from twice a year to hopefully twice a month. :) but ya we'll have fun :) thanks again for your reply :)

Blacky
December 20th, 2014, 13:25
12Mb/s is way way above average. Unless you have horrendous delays (ping) or truckload of loss/choke, you should be more than fine.

It still might take some time for you player to download all things needed at their first connection to your campaign, and one in a while when downloading large images, but nothing out of the ordinary or not manageable.

PS