PDA

View Full Version : PFS time slots week to week.

xazil
December 18th, 2014, 00:21
So that I don't thread jack the Silver Mount signup...

We seem to have a pretty steady band of PFS'ers.

As an observation we seem to have time slots of Friday & Saturday evening UTC that are generally used to run PFS games that suits a set of us of at least half dozen weekly often up to a dozen available. Often playing both days.

It might be a good idea for GMs to realise that they can probably run a parallel session without hurting the other group running. Whether in the same scenario (where the GMs can share the workload of scenario prep) or another.

I know I have tried to make sure I don't overlap with others, but do people think we should change our thinking?

Generally on the 0-3 Season modules that are really only made for a table size of 4, it becomes an even better idea, maybe put a table limit of 5 on those?

Comments/Ideas/Suggestions?

Trenloe
December 18th, 2014, 02:00
I think running the same scenario at the same time would have limited success (it might work one week, but not the next). In the regular PFS events that I am involved with (face-to-face games in store) with four tables each session the organisers avoid running the same scenario in the same time slot - they'll do it occasionally for specials, retirement scenarios and other scenarios that have an expiry date; but the norm is not to double up. If 2 scenarios are being ran in the same slot then it would be better to have different scenarios otherwise you'll have a good chance of not getting enough players to run 2 sessions. Variety in scenarios will allow you to attract more players. Unless you're idea is to run with the bunch of players you have at the moment, which will give you a better idea up front which scenarios people want to play and you can probably get away with it.

However, it might work... This would also give you a better chance of running a high-tier and a low-tier scenario.

I just feel that you'll have more chance of regularly getting 2 sessions worth of players if you have 2 different scenarios. You may get the odd double-session going ahead, but I would imagine that you'll have some times when you only run one session - then do you drop one GM and put the players only in one session? Administration and last minute changes could become a big headache here too.

But, give it a go - the great thing about organising PFS on Fantasy Grounds is that you usually know up ahead that you won't have enough players. You're not sitting at a table in a store or at a convention waiting for enough players to show...

xazil
December 18th, 2014, 02:53
Good points there Trenloe.

I'm trying to get a gauge on other people's feelings about the time availability generally.

Most of the sessions I have run I have felt there were more people hanging around missing games that filled up extremely quickly. Do others agree or that I am off base?

Trueshots
December 18th, 2014, 03:08
I think running the same scenario at the same time would have limited success (it might work one week, but not the next).

Fully agree

Trenloe
December 18th, 2014, 03:25
I'm trying to get a gauge on other people's feelings about the time availability generally.
It would be great if we could get some semi-regular PFS gaming slots set up - "PFS Friday", or whatever. If players know that there are usually games running Friday evening UTC, for example, then this *might* help to get more players on a regular basis. It's something we've tried doing before, but it didn't really take off as it relies on having regular GMs. I don't think finding regular players is the main issue, it's finding regular GMs who are free to run a game at roughly the same time slot every month, every two weeks, every week, whatever. If a core of 4 or more GMs could rotate round that helps a lot - it's getting those GMs and having them available at a regular time that's needed. Get the GMs and the players will come...

Victor
December 18th, 2014, 07:58
I like a lot of these ideas and some very good points brought up.
I do not think running the same scenario at the same time would often work, but when it would it would be preferable to running 2 different ones for the simple reason that I can't play in 2 games at once. :)
I agree that most games were probably made for 4 players and 6 is really pushing it, one or two players often end up hanging around the back of a battle with little to do. Limiting games to 5, or even 4 people, so that we can run 2 games at a time would be a GREAT idea, also the games would run much faster. I would probably miss the camaraderie of the big crowds though. :(
I also like the idea of a PFS night time slot that stays consistent, we pretty much already have that, it's just not official.

So.... what would be the best way to actually implement this. I am thinking that as soon as a new thread goes up we all join pretty quickly, which keeps another thread for the same time from going up, so the simple idea is for a could of GMs to aggree and post both games in one thread, (PFS Friday Night!) with 2 calendar entries, and I would try limiting them to 4 or 5 players. Worth a shot. :)

cmdisc
December 18th, 2014, 12:22
I can GM a session once a month on average. Fri/Sat evening UTC is best for me, but my schedule is flexible. Right now I'm focusing on 1-5 Tier, although 3-7 scenarios are possible too.

Edit:
Regarding overlapping sessions, I don't have an issue with that. There seems to be an increased demand for PFS sessions as of late.

Trueshots
December 18th, 2014, 13:44
I agree that most games were probably made for 4 players and 6 is really pushing it, one or two players often end up hanging around the back of a battle with little to do
this has religiously been the Issue with PFS imho, the combat content is far to easy. One maybe two rounds it's over, if you have a barb or (any of my characters,lol, wink) then combat is over in first round.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2014, 14:30
this has religiously been the Issue with PFS imho, the combat content is far to easy. One maybe two rounds it's over, if you have a barb or (any of my characters,lol, wink) then combat is over in first round.
As xazil says in the OP - seasons 0-3 were designed for parties of 4 characters, from season 4 onwards the scenarios are now designed for a party of 6 characters.

Farnaby
December 18th, 2014, 20:32
I'm fully up for either friday or saturday as a regular slot.
Running the same scenario next to each other with 2 DMs would be a somewhat rare occasion I think.

If someone is willing to show me as I'm DMing 2 live groups already I could add another 1/month on FG as well.
It also depends on if I have to buy the PFS pdfs or are they shared?

Trenloe
December 18th, 2014, 20:42
It also depends on if I have to buy the PFS pdfs or are they shared?
You need to purchase the PDF. If a FG GM has already created the scenario in FG you can show them proof you purchased the PDF and they are allowed to share the FG module with you - as per this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20244-Private-sharing-of-PFS-scenario-data-available-modules

Malkavian_Andi
December 19th, 2014, 09:12
One problem I see with scheduling regular slots is that GMs will less often schedule games at other times, because it's convenient to have a slot that's guaranteed to fill up.
There are certainly players who want to play, but simply can't make the regular slot. Those players wouldn't get to play most of the time.

I myself have the problem that I work late on Fridays and have a lot of local events on Saturdays, so evening UTC games can be difficult for me (since I'm in Germany, one might think evening UTC games are good for me, but actually, I can't make most of those).

But I do like the idea of having regular game slots, but I'd suggest having two different times, like evening UTC and evening CST. That way I suppose more players are able to make at least one of the slots.

Skellan
December 20th, 2014, 11:21
I am chomping at the bit to run some PFS games, I have been too busy to do much gaming in the run up to Christmas but as we move into January I plan to go nuts on it hehe. I'd be happy to be involved in running a regular UTC slot though Friday and Saturday UTC evenings aren't good for me as I do tabletop gaming then. Perhaps we could get together a list of lovely GM's and take it from there?

I am more than happy to share any of the FG modules that I have built. They should cut down on the prep time significantly, though you do still need to buy the pdf from Paizo. Just bob me a message if you want one.

As for the number of players, I am with you on a 4 player table being better (I think in general, not just pfs), mostly because I think the session moves quicker and players tend to have more time on the ball. As Trenloe said, the later scenarios work on a 6 player assumption and are bad ***. But yeah, the challenge level of scenarios can vary. I guess its just an organised play thing due to encounters being preset.

Its nice to see PFS alive and well on here :)

Lord Kavos
December 20th, 2014, 13:58
I have also been talking about gming more PFS myself, but as usual real life keeps getting in the way...

Perhaps we can have a game day once or twice a month, or one a week if there is enough interest, with a couple of different time slots as well?

Rivver
December 22nd, 2014, 17:10
I would be happy to run stuff once a week, but as I am new to FG I'd probably need a bit of coaching from an existing GM. Personally I would prefer games around the early evening UTC, but if the only way I can get that is to run myself, then I'll pony up for modules (they're only about $3-5 as far as I recall) and run once a week, probably on a Friday or Saturday.

Skellan
December 23rd, 2014, 05:17
I will be running scenarios early evening UTC. Do you have a pfs character? I'd be happy to show you the ropes on fg

Rivver
December 23rd, 2014, 08:25
I will be running scenarios early evening UTC. Do you have a pfs character? I'd be happy to show you the ropes on fg

I do. He is Alaerin, an Lv1 human Ranger. I'll make sure to look out for your games.