PDA

View Full Version : LFG: Pathfinder AP

Nickademus
December 16th, 2014, 19:39
Since a game has been made official and a forum is set up for it, I am changing this post so that others seeing it will not be mislead. Thank you all for your feedback and comments. I am looking forward to the start of the game.

I am no longer LFG.

Original Post:
There are several Pathfinder Adventure Paths that I have wanted to experience, but I am always the one (locally) that gets stuck GMing. I have a nice one on the horizon, but I'd like to get one more AP into my weekly schedule.

It is rare for one of these to start on a day/time slot that I can play though. Looking for a game on Sunday or Monday night, possibly Tuesday. I'm EST and can adjust my evening schedule to accommodate most time slots after 5 pm.

Some of the APs I'm interested in: Rise of the Runelords (hey, I'm a bit behind), Second Darkness, Kingmaker, Carrion Crown, Skull & Shackles, and Mummy's Mask.

lachancery
December 17th, 2014, 04:50
I'd like to join in to make it two players interested in joining an AP in the EST time zone. I also have Sunday & Monday availabilities, but not Tuesdays. Unfortunately, I can't make it before 8:30pm - kids bedtime.

I'd be in for Second Darkness, Carrion Crown, Skull & Shackles and Mummy's Mask. I have played RotRL and am running Kingmaker.

Blahness98
December 17th, 2014, 07:12
I might be able to run a game every other Monday if that interests you guys.. But I'd have to do get everything into FG as I have been working on my Tsar game and doing the ground work for Rappan Athuk. I think I have all the AP's you guys have listed, so you'd just have to narrow it down to what you want to play..

Taonna
December 17th, 2014, 07:51
if you do end up starting a game a good friend of mine has been looking around for a game so if you do have a slot I would appreciate it if you might extend an invitation to a one CrossFire on the FG fourms. Thank you.

Dr_Babylon
December 17th, 2014, 08:06
Wow. Lots of my favorite faces...names converging here. I wish you all the very best in building something grand.

Old Man Trouble
December 17th, 2014, 12:12
I'll throw my name in the hat for a Mon/Tues 5PM-10PM time slot as a player. The only one of the above APs that I wouldn't be able to be involved in is Rise of the Runelords as I've got that campaign already in progress. In any case, good luck to all!

Nickademus
December 17th, 2014, 14:54
If I had to prioritize my desire for an AP, here's the list:

1. Mummy's Mask
2. Kingmaker
3. Rise of the Runelords
4. Skull & Shackles
5. Second Darkness
6. Carrion Crown

Blahness, if you are up for running one it seems you have a player base here willing to play every other Monday evening/night. The slot would need tweak (start early/long game or start late/short game) but I for one can accommodate anything. If it takes time to get the AP into FG, I'm sure we all understand that and would be willing to wait (heck, I've been waiting years for some of these).

Old Man Trouble
December 17th, 2014, 15:06
Agreed. I wouldn't expect anything to be ready for a month. If the player base can get a time set and details worked out, of course. I'll keep an eye open for developments.

RustyAngel
December 17th, 2014, 18:12
And I would have to say Blahness is a great GM. I would so be interested if he was running another game and it was at a time I could get in on :3

fatalnightshade
December 17th, 2014, 18:19
well if yo guys have a slot open for a game i would be interested and as is only ap i don't really wanna do is rise of the runelord as i am already part of a group that plays that ap

Blahness98
December 17th, 2014, 23:04
Only catch to me running is that it would only be about a 3-4 hour session and it would start near 9pm GMT-6. It would be a text only game as I am usually hanging out with my family or am near them and don't want to disturb them while I am running. If that works, I will see about prepping some material.

Dr_Babylon
December 17th, 2014, 23:16
...go on.

Nickademus
December 18th, 2014, 00:04
Only catch to me running is that it would only be about a 3-4 hour session and it would start near 9pm GMT-6. It would be a text only game as I am usually hanging out with my family or am near them and don't want to disturb them while I am running. If that works, I will see about prepping some material.

Works for me.

CrossFire
December 18th, 2014, 03:47
Yes im very interested in a game if you would like to send me a message so we can discuss the game more thank you

kwarner1986
December 18th, 2014, 03:48
You've peaked my interest as well. I haven't played any of those scenarios either.

Old Man Trouble
December 18th, 2014, 13:59
If I am doing my time zone math correct, that would be 10:00 pm start time for EST. Unfortunately that is well outside my time allowance. 8(. Good luck to all others though! 8)

RustyAngel
December 18th, 2014, 17:31
Monday's at 10pm would also be undoable for me as I have a game that starts at 8. So I shall have to bow out, best of luck to everyone :)

Nickademus
December 19th, 2014, 02:05
So unless we have another volunteer for GM, the slot is looking like 3am GMT/10pm EST/9pm CST until 6am GMT/1am EST/midnight CST. How many can fit this slot?

lachancery
December 19th, 2014, 02:36
So unless we have another volunteer for GM, the slot is looking like 3am GMT/10pm EST/9pm CST until 6am GMT/1am EST/midnight CST. How many can fit this slot?

I'd be able to do an end time of 1am EST, aided by caffeine the following day. I'm ok with text only as well.

My AP preference is in the same order as yours, with the omission of RotRL and Kingmaker, as I've mentioned before.

Blahness98
December 19th, 2014, 17:56
Well then.. I will start prepping The Mummy's Mask and will let people know when I am close to getting it done.

lachancery
December 20th, 2014, 13:14
Well then.. I will start prepping The Mummy's Mask and will let people know when I am close to getting it done.
Fantastic! Are you thinking of having a forum thread or an Obsidian Portal/Epic Words site to host our character creation, offline chats and supporting material?

After perusing the People of the Sands (https://paizo.com/products/btpy92lx?Pathfinder-Player-Companion-People-of-the-Sands) book (do you have it, Blahness?) and the Mummy's Mask Player's Guide (https://paizo.com/products/btpy94z3?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Mummys-Mask-Players-Guide), here are the character ideas I'm toying with (subject to your approval and to compatibility with other characters, of course):

A) Warpriest (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/classes/warpriest.html) of Pharasma (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pharasma): a tradition-steeped Pahmet (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pahmet) (desert dwarf) hailing from ancient Osirion Necropolises, a caretaker of the living, a warden of the restful dead, and an appeaser of the anguished unliving. He would be a supporting melee and healer.

B alternate) Magus (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcasters/magus.html): a half-genie or half-elemental hailing from an oasis in the Osirion desertic interior. A devout follower of Sarenrae (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Sarenrae), she would belong to the Cult of the Dawnflower (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_Dawnflower) and fight in the high-mobility dervish dancing style. I haven't locked down her motivations for joining yet - I'm leaning towards religious, but it would likely be multiple layers in the end.

C alternate) Slayer (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedClassGuide/classes/slayer.html): a "duskwalker" type of character of undetermined race yet. Likely a native or dweller of Wati, his motivations would be more mundane and "darker" - profits maybe? I'm thinking someone who learnt to avoid the scorching sun and be at ease in the shadows. I'd be inclined to go for the Shadowdancer (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.html#shadowdancer) prestige class with this character. He would be a high mobility supporting melee, and be stealth/trapfinder.

Blahness98
December 20th, 2014, 14:32
Fantastic! Are you thinking of having a forum thread or an Obsidian Portal/Epic Words site to host our character creation, offline chats and supporting material?

Yep.. It will be the same forum as my Dragonlance game. Once I get closer to actual game start, I will start a calendar entry with the necessary information.

Nickademus
December 20th, 2014, 19:34
Depending on creation guidelines and house rules, I'm planning on bringing one of my dervish brothers. Both have high survivability, with the elder begin more martial and the younger being more scholarly. Either can fill the role of the party 'rogue'.

Dr_Babylon
December 20th, 2014, 19:51
Indeed...good, good.

I have downloaded the free Player's Guide for this one and plan to do the requisite homework but can I ask about the intended mechanism of party formation? Are we to be formerly acquainted (childhood friends, etc)? Caravan guards or would-be mercenaries? Are we just different folks who maybe want to take a look in a nearby tomb because...well why not? Are we all the same person but from alternate dimensions and forced to team up and learn about the horrifying differences in our very existences to work together to overcome an all-powerful tormentor who is probably another version of us?

I will look forward to learning the other stipulations regarding initial character creation at the convenience of our esteemed benefactor.

For the time being, have a safe and happy holiday folks.

Tymire
December 20th, 2014, 21:06
Works, yell when ready and good to see about starting characters. Loved that Dragonlance game, just wish went on longer.

Blahness98
December 20th, 2014, 23:47
@Lach: I do have that book and will take a look through at the stuff you have listed.

@Tymire: Yeah, it was a fun game. But with a new kid and everything, I couldn't keep it going. If I get more time someday I might see if I can run that one again..

@Dr. B: From what I have read and converted so far, it is recommended that you all have known each other prior ro campaign start.

Thanks to the holidays coming up, I should be able to get some stuff converted as well as getting a creating a section on my forums for the game. Once that is done, I will get the calendar page set up and go from there.

Dr_Babylon
December 21st, 2014, 02:05
Holy heck! Tymire too? What a team!

kwarner1986
December 21st, 2014, 03:01
You can count on me as well every other Monday for this adventure. Keep us posted.

Nickademus
December 21st, 2014, 03:13
In that case I should introduce my two potential characters. (The GM or party can choose which one I play to round out the party.)

8372 Hakeem Al'Irizati
Younger Brother
Race: Human
Role: Martial Merchant
Alignment: NG

A man of many faces, to some Hakeem is but a humble Qadiran merchant traveling the roads to peddle his wares throughout the Inner Sea. To others he is a treasure hunter and archaeologist, seeking forgotten ruins and sites of power. But to some, he is an exalted dervish of the Dawnflower, an elite warrior of Qadira’s patron goddess Sarenrae. A capable tomb raider and blossoming scholar, he finds the prospect of delving into the ancient secrets of Osirion a fascinating idea.

8371 Rasheedi Al'Irizati
Elder Brother
Race: Human
Role: Defensive Monk
Alignment: LG

A devout and pious man who takes on the burden of protecting others and leading by example. Having balanced the teachings of the Qadiran Dervishes and a monastic order devoted to the spirit animals, he provides a sturdy companion to those who would put themselves in harm's way. A resent rift that has formed between him and his brother has caused Rasheedi to journey to Osirion seeking artifacts of antiquity, and an understanding of the differences between them.

Both have roguish abilities and a touch of the arcane. They can be support for almost any role.

Dr_Babylon
December 21st, 2014, 05:59
Very interesting.

I look forward to seeing what other personae might make it to the table. I intend to wait a bit longer to avoid stepping on any toes but I do have a few directions in which I might be bent. My recent adventures elsewhere leave me aiming toward a character with a less positive outlook. Seems I play a lot of cheerleaders nowadays.

I suppose I shall have to see what the dice convey. Unless we're doing a point buy...?

lachancery
December 21st, 2014, 23:08
@ Blahness: the Mummy's Mask's players' guide refers to the second book of the Aap for a description of the ancient Osirion gods (which sound like the Egyptian mythos). My Pahmet concept would be a creature of ancient traditions. If the old gods for in, I'd like to get more information on them. (Obviously don't want to buy the second book and run across spoilers.) Pharasma is the modern version of the "journey of the recently deceased" - a topic of veneration for Pharaoh dynasties.

@ Nickademus: my second character concept could be connected to your brothers. If that concept wins,I'd like to explore that back story.

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2014, 01:32
That is a possibility, Lachancery. Both brothers have vivid backgrounds and have been busy prior to getting their first PC level. Is your Magus a Qadiran dervish? It says he/she is from the Osirion deserts.

After consideration, I'm leaning towards Rasheedi being the better choice for the group. I'll know more when the rest of the group fleshes out. (Who's in the group anyway?)

Dr_Babylon
December 22nd, 2014, 02:04
The favorite I have among my options has sort of a martial arts flavor, too, so I might avoid that one as I loathe extraneous overlap. Someday I will find my chance to portray her complicated persona but, admittedly, making her work on paper might have been a long shot anyways.

I do also have a sorcerer from Katapesh (probably?) I would love to put into play but I have a sneaking suspicion that the wily enchantress will have little to do in this campaign. I am avoiding reading anything beyond the basic setting (I like surprises!) but I am inferring a running theme of traps, undead, and wasteland exploration.

I grow antsy, as is my wont, but I will hold off on any official verdict until random stats have been established. Should we expect to go into this thing at level one?

Blahness98
December 22nd, 2014, 02:51
Right now, it looks as if there is a vocal group consisting of: Dr_Babylon, Nickademus, and lachancery. And a quieter group consisting of: Taonna, Crossfire, fatalnightshade, Tymire and kwarner1986. Those are just the ones that have replied in this thread. Who will still be available and interested when I get this thing converted (looking to at least have 4 of the 6 books done before game start) is currently unknown.

@Lach: I will be dumping a bunch of info on the forums that I have with the ancient gods (pretty much a pathfinderized listing of Egyptian gods) as well as the starting city of Wati on there as well once I get to that point in my conversions.

From what I have been reading, this AP is built with a group of 4 level 1 PCs in mind, but I will attempt to adjust to accommodate for more. The most I will go with is 6 characters (5 is my preferred as it allows for a good balance), however since keeping track of that many in a chat only setting is difficult and getting everyone involved is difficult.

And from what I have read about Paizo APs is they recommend a 15 point buy character. Have yet to verify that fact. Will be posting more once I get farther..

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2014, 04:23
And from what I have read about Paizo APs is they recommend a 15 point buy character. Have yet to verify that fact. Will be posting more once I get farther..

I think it depends on the AP, but I have played a Reign of Winter with a 20 pt buy and party wiped (the AP even gives you free ability boosts); yet when playing Kingmaker with a 15 pt buy it was quite benign. As a GM I've come to the conclusion that the amount of point buy has much less of an effect than a good build and team cohesion. I just use 20 pt buy since it is what PFS uses. Make things more uniform for myself and my players that are used to PFS.

lachancery
December 22nd, 2014, 08:12
@ Blahness: based on the text-only games I've seen, FG sessions accommodate well three active player voices fluently. As more get added, confusion & slow downs rise quickly. With a party of 4-5, situations would handle most characters being involved with 1 to 2 taking a backseat (typically for good roleplay reasons). I'd advise against going up to 6 players - it doesn't increase the fun, just the downtime and latency.

@ Blahness: also based on experience, characters get around level 9 by the end of the third book. That is a lot of adventuring, especially over the slower pace of text-only. As GM, I have found it worthwhile to read ahead a few books to get a good sense of the overall story arc, but I rarely prepare into FG more than one full book ahead of where the players are. That also allows me to make power adjustments, should my party be stronger or weaker than expected, instead of having to go back to tweak stuff I converted into FG already.

@ Dr_B: the mood of Osirion that comes from the Inner Sea World Guide, from People of the Sand and a few PFS scenarios set in Osirion, seems to have an aura similar to the Mummy movies - power from ancient times buried in tombs and ruins; much of the metaphysical mood is around the rites of "death"; mundane events focus around the profits from tomb raiding, smuggling and trading of ancient treasures... Strikes as fantasy tales inspired by the likes of the Indiana Jones & Mummy movies. I haven't come across clear references yet, but it seems as though Sphinxes are playing (or have played) a part in the story as well; they are referred to in the Pahmet (desert dwarves) texts and also with the Living Monolith prestige class. I find Osirion is not too "Arabian nights" or "Prince of Persia" in feel though - that's more Qadira. I've been slowly getting myself to think the right way about this context...

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2014, 13:33
Here.
https://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial/duneRunner

Dr_Babylon
December 22nd, 2014, 19:32
It's unfortunate in that The Mummy movie analogy that we can't all be Brendan Fraser. I'm kidding of course. Good lord, who would want to be? I'd go with Oded Fehr or even Arnold Vosloo's character first.

I'm fairly certain my reticence regarding point buys has been well established by this stage. It likely goes without saying that I would be very amenable to almost any other options there. I recognize that I am in the minority on this subject and my opinion would very likely adapt if I ever ran a game. Perhaps this is my inexperience talking, but I've never understood how multi-ability dependent classes can even work with a measly 15-points. In that world, I would assume there simply are no intelligent paladins, charismatic monks, or wise bards. That just feels so bloody calculated. The local blacksmith is always going to be mightier than the party's fighter as that's the only high score he needs, etc. I guess I like my intrepid adventurers to feel a little more...heroic if possible. I hope that doesn't come off too munchkin.

I know this debate has likely happened innumerable times before and I sense I should leave it at that. It's a great crew, a GM I admire, and an ideal schedule with text-only communication. I'm totally on board with this project unless someone tells me to scram.

lachancery
December 22nd, 2014, 19:53
I'll go for John Hannah's... :)

kwarner1986
December 22nd, 2014, 20:12
I'm definitely on board with this project, and I'm already trying to get character ideas going.

Nickademus
December 22nd, 2014, 21:05
I'll be Rachel Weisz. The rest of you can keep saving me. :P

kwarner1986
December 22nd, 2014, 21:07
I'll play Jonathan the Rogue

Brandon: "It's not worth your life!"
Johnny: "Yes it is, yes it is!"

lachancery
December 23rd, 2014, 00:49
I'll play Jonathan the Rogue

Brandon: "It's not worth your life!"
Johnny: "Yes it is, yes it is!"

HEY!! You just stole my character! (John Hannah is actor who played Jonathan)

kwarner1986
December 23rd, 2014, 01:01
HEY!! You just stole my character! (John Hannah is actor who played Jonathan)

I was thinking he played Benny for some reason.

Okay, I'll play Alex, and no not the Alex from the 3rd movie. I'll be the adorable 12 year old with 18 Cha.

Dr_Babylon
December 23rd, 2014, 02:47
Without looking it up, I want to say Benny was...Kevin J O'Connor? From Deep Rising and numerous other less-than-A-list titles?

asmodeus90
December 23rd, 2014, 07:00
damn i would love to play but seams that this will be taking place as im driving to work and besides sounds like yall have a great group already set up

Lord Kavos
December 23rd, 2014, 12:36
would be keen to play with you guys...But your game looks like its filling up already (only just saw this thread).

Played a bit with nickademus & lachanery, seen your wonderful work on the boards Dr Babylon...

Timeslot would put it in the middle of the day for me (GMT+10), at present I could do that as I am out of work, if i could get enough music gigs i could keep it open (and not have to find a real job - not sure how i'm going to get that to happen though).

I only say this upfront as I have having to drop out of games at a later date. Looks like i will have to get a real job eventually, and that would stuff this timeslot up. Again in saying that, not having much luck with job prospects atm anyway, so if you are looking for one more player I would definitely be interested.

As for characters, leaning towards playing an Arabian Knight/Paladin (maybe with a monk level or 2), or a genie-kin (Ifrit/Oread) /elemental sorceror / mage if that helps.

Tymire
December 23rd, 2014, 23:20
What's wrong with Brandon? There always have to be one person like that in a party.

Have a few ideas that have been popping around in my head, but wanted to see what others where thinking of first and what you had planned. You put a crapton of info up before hand for the DL game that tied into things.

@ Blahness: based on the text-only games I've seen, FG sessions accommodate well three active player voices fluently. As more get added, confusion & slow downs rise quickly. With a party of 4-5, situations would handle most characters being involved with 1 to 2 taking a backseat (typically for good roleplay reasons). I'd advise against going up to 6 players - it doesn't increase the fun, just the downtime and latency.

Unfortunately this is very true in text based games. It's hard to see who is talking too who. Also it's quite common to get multiple responses to the same question as you all are well aware. Main thing is to make sure to designate a party "face". Another thing that's possible is to add another chat program or at least a couple different channels in teamspeak for multiple conversations. Wonder why FG doesn't have that (separate one for chat and one for combat).

Blahness98
December 24th, 2014, 03:16
If anything, I will go with 5 as I seem to be handling that number alright at the moment in my Tsar game. Then again, a pair of players don't really talk so...

Have a few ideas that have been popping around in my head, but wanted to see what others where thinking of first and what you had planned. You put a crapton of info up before hand for the DL game that tied into things.

Yeah, I intend on attempting the same thing with this campaign. Just finished getting the bulk of the scenario into FG. Just working on the images, tweeking the maps, and getting the monsters transferred over (love Trenloe's tool for that). So after that is complete, I will be doing a dump of information onto my boards about the City of Wati and the old gods. I will have to look and see what else I would need to get up there, but that could be added at a later date. Oh, and that crap ton of info is still there. It's just waiting for the day I run the war of the lance again..

Also, for those interested, this will most likely be a 20 point buy, max starting hp. I don't usually allow the leadership feat, life oracles, summoners, mythic characters or third party sources. If it is written by Paizo, it is generally fair game. I do reserve the right to ban things after the fact for future uses (as in, you can use it until the character dies). And if you power game, the NPC characters you meet will also power game.

Dr_Babylon
December 24th, 2014, 03:32
What happens if one or more of us are, like, the opposite of a power-gamer? My characters tend to be inherent underachievers...

I'm strongly considering doing up some desert-themed variation of the classic Elven Ranger at this point. I figure someone in the party ought to know the lay of the land if we're mostly sticking to one particular setting / locale. Many of you are quite aware that I'm not one for optimization so I will certainly divert my aims if someone can do this better than I. Most likely mine will have some kind of big curvy sword. And a little bit of angst.

Working on balancing stats now...

Tymire
December 24th, 2014, 04:46
One main question right now for you Blandness is how much of the AP is based on ruin exploring/exploiting? If people are going to be playing good and true native Osirions disturbing and looting tombs would be a big no-no. If there's even just a bit, we really shouldn't be playing good and true native Osirions (the good or native part needs to go away, lol).

And Babylon can you do anything without Angst? One of these days want to see you play a happy go lucky optimistic boy (or girl) scout. <insert evil laugh>

Blahness98
December 24th, 2014, 05:03
Let me look into the next few books and I will let you know..

Edit: Looked ahead and there are several crpyts and places you will be exploring. So plan accordingly..

Taonna
December 24th, 2014, 07:48
damn I feel like I am missing out on a hell of a party here for mummy's mask I shall enjoy hearing tales of your adventures in the coming eves.

lachancery
December 24th, 2014, 15:38
It seems the other character concepts are complementary to my first pick; with Blahness' blessing, I'll be building on this:

A pahmet (desert dwarf) hailing from a reclusive necropolis in southern Osirion. A devotee to the ancient Osirion gods, he is himself a relic of the past. His backstory will revolve around having heard of the events transpiring at Wati and traveling to the city to witness the desecrations, curb the ancient unliving souls that never found their way to the afterlife, and do what can be done to instill wisdom in these modern people delving in ancient secrets better left undisturbed.

As warpriest, I'll have a support melee & healer role, lacking social & stealth skills.

Nickademus
December 24th, 2014, 21:15
Also, for those interested, this will most likely be a 20 point buy, max starting hp. I don't usually allow the leadership feat, life oracles, summoners, mythic characters or third party sources. If it is written by Paizo, it is generally fair game. I do reserve the right to ban things after the fact for future uses (as in, you can use it until the character dies). And if you power game, the NPC characters you meet will also power game.

I'm curious why not life oracles. And I'm used to seeing magus on the list with summoners, but perhaps for a different reason. I'm also curious what you consider power gaming.

At any rate, I have a build that fits those restrictions. I'll be interested in hearing how all the characters come to know each other prior to the game, so I can feed the appropriate information to the others. For now, just consider Rasheedi the party 'rogue'.

Oh, and Dr. B., feel free to play your martial arts character. Rasheedi is a monk, but he fights like a dervish (whirling scimitar). The monk aspect is more for the mentality and defensive training than for the martial arts. Wouldn't be as much overlap as you think.

I did have one question about the campaign. It's fine if you don't want to give an answer for this (as some games don't have a set answer). Once things get going and we start leveling, are we going to have reliable access to a place to purchase gear? I ask because some APs don't give you this and you are better off investing in crafting feats. On the flip side, some APs don't give you the down-time for that either so crafting feats may be worthless. A little hint of what's to come may help us decide how/where we are going to get our better gear as we level.

Blahness98
December 24th, 2014, 22:33
I don't remember my reasoning behind life oracles. It has been on banned list for a while now, so yeah. Might take it off and see what would happen. And as far as power gaming goes, I am thinking Pun-Pun, the character that can decimate an entire army by itself without sweat, ect.

And as I quickly looked ahead in the campaign, you are generally around one city or another. There does not appear to be too big of a time crunch (at least during the next 2 books) so you can pick and choose what you want to do.

Nickademus
December 25th, 2014, 00:15
Good to know.

I have a life oracle in my Ravenloft game. The healing output does make damage a little trivial, so that might be it. Still, there are other things than damage you can do to challenge a party with a life oracle.

kwarner1986
December 25th, 2014, 01:01
Looks like we have a lot of melee players. So I'll make a Human Fighter. Archer style. Ah, Level 1 Rapid Shot. Background to follow as I have to read up on the old gods.

Dr_Babylon
December 25th, 2014, 07:04
I've officially narrowed my selections down to two, for those keeping score.

Adhiambo is a young Zenj woman who has traveled far from her home on the savannas of the Mwangi Expanse. Having devoted most of her life to the shamanic traditions of her tribe, she is generous with her healing gifts, curious about foreign cultures, and quite open regarding her abundant--if eclectic--insights into the spirit world. Her rustic upbringing has provided her with adequate survival training suitable for the arid terrain of Osirion (more sand than her beloved Fields of Jaadja, she laments) and she is a capable diplomat, preferring to avoid unnecessary conflict. Despite a somber outlook, Adhiambo seems a benevolent soul, genuinely interested in investigating any unnatural threats to her fellow man. Still, she remains somewhat secretive about her reasons for having so abruptly left the land of her birth.

(Admittedly, Adhiambo may step on the toes of Lachancery's dwarf but I suspect we may come to a point where we will be glad for a little extra positive energy on our side in this campaign. Moreover, I would sincerely look forward to our characters debating the finer points of their individual philosophies. Given the specifics of her homeland, I'd love to try her out in any comparatively exotic locale. As I understand Golarion's cultural analogs, if we're in Egypt, Adhiambo is from Kenya.)

The Elven woman calling herself Redleaf hails from a secluded and forbidding region of the wastes beyond the reach of civilization (I want to say "badlands"?). Her savage appearance and irascible demeanor seem incongruous with most of the gentler stereotypes regarding Elves as fey mystics and erudite magicians (details pending...), though the long, elegantly curved blade she wears sheathed on her back would fit with their typical design aesthetic. Redleaf maintains a callous, almost mercenary detachment in her manner but she does claim to know the land better than most and her interest in securing honest work as a guide seems sincere.

(This would be the aforementioned Ranger, though I am loath to go the way of the bow. Been there. I'd likely exercise some references to how Elves were handled in the Dark Sun mythos and other off-market sources. Rather like the sound of "Painted Elves". My only concern with this character is that I have no portrait and it's almost impossible to find pictures of Elves on the internet...)

I'm still willing to adapt of course, but I believe I can make either of these work. And they should both have all your Survival needs well in hand. Guess that means I get to set up the tent. In any event, I solemnly swear to bring some personal drama to the table (or our between-session forum?) for those who are interested.

@Nickademus: I appreciate the sentiment and look forward to interacting with either of your Qadiran brothers but I've decided this isn't the place for my pseudo-monk character. It would be a stretch to place her in Wati in the first place, much less attach her to anyone else.

@Tymire: I'll have you know that I've played a very nice paladin for a number of months now and she has no angst about her at all. She even hugs!

kwarner1986
December 26th, 2014, 00:23
I've officially narrowed my selections down to two, for those keeping score.

@Tymire: I'll have you know that I've played a very nice paladin for a number of months now and she has no angst about her at all. She even hugs!

It's funny you haven't seen DrB play a nice character, but that's all I've seen of him. It will be interesting to see the dark side.

lachancery
December 26th, 2014, 05:55
@ Dr_Babylon: No worries about sharing healing; the warpriest has many options to redirect his focus on combat. Sounds like you're thinking of Shaman (reference to spirits) - I'd love to see one in action!

@ Nickademus: Based on my previous game with Blahness, my perception of what he considers power gaming would be character builds that have first focused on an optimized mix of tactical options, followed by assembling a "Frankeinstein medley" role-play story to explain why these tactical options mesh. Pathfinder is fertile grounds for such stuff, further nurtured by PFS organized play. I hope you will forgive my candor and please do with it as you will: one level dips in classes that were written to be life-long commitments to one set of "ideals" (ex: monk & wizard) come across as power gaming. As Dr_B posted earlier, his builds that I've seen were "anti-power gaming", focused on creating complex psyches and tagging along the tactical choices that go with that. I am more middle of the road: I am story/persona focused first, and I will integrate cool tactical choices that have the right flair.

Nickademus
December 26th, 2014, 23:11
To each his own. I have seen nowhere in Pathfinder where any class, monk and wizard included, has been written to definitively be anything let alone a life-long commitment. There are some criteria in D&D for some classes but they were removed for Pathfinder. In fact, I see a lot of things in Pathfinder that promote multi-classing and even know of some feats that require multi-classing to obtain.

I personally don't view the method in which a character is made to dictate whether it is power-gamed or not, and I have seen power-gamed characters and non-power-gamed characters emerge from all the generation methods you mentioned. My belief is the idea of power-gaming refers more to the power of a character, specifically if the character minimizes the need for other characters and thus minimizing the fun other players would have adventuring with the character.

Each GM seems to have their own idea of what power gaming is and where the line between wise decision making and min-maxing is. This is why I was curious what the GM's thoughts were on it when he brought it up.

Blahness98
December 26th, 2014, 23:54
I don't mind people multi-classing. That is fine, it's in the game and it's all good. It is people that work the rules in a way to make their characters that could rival gods of the land at say 12th level. I had a player that did that in a game I ran a long time ago when I was younger and didn't know any better. It got to the point where all he was able to take out anything I threw at the group without any worry of what it was. Other players didn't like the results and didn't want to game with the player anymore. I don't remember the build, but he had six or seven classes and worked the system. Since that point, I am always wary of people attempting godhood by working the system. That is what I consider power gaming. I should put no munchkins instead of power gamers.

Min-Maxing has its place in Pathfinder from what I have seen. From my view it is a way of the game, and I don't mind it as much. I've seen it all over the place from regular APs, Society games, home brew stuff. I get concerned about the dwarven warrior's with the CHA of 5 running in a game or something that has a stat dumped horribly. I've seen stats that low and always wondered how a player can RP. (In fact, I haven't seen stats that low RP'd well, if at all.) I should have a rule saying that if you have a low score, you have to RP it.

It just seems that these days, it's more math than actual character. I've seen threads here, over at Paizo's site that people go threads on making characters that make DMs cry. Part of me misses the days when people played a character for fun and not the math behind everything. Going to have to give props to Doc B cause every time I have gamed with him, he makes characters, not walking calculations.

I think I have rambled on, so I am going to go back to getting stuff entered into FG.

Dr_Babylon
December 27th, 2014, 00:53
Well heck, now the pressure is on...

Let's see...what about a bard who was once a driving instructor who got sent back in time...?

In all seriousness, what's the party looking like right now?

Desert Dwarf death-worshiping war-priest (melee / healing) = Lachancery
Quasi-monk human dervish from Qadira (melee / rogue skills) = Nickademus
Semi-feral elf (melee / survival skills) -or- Tribal human shaman (healing / diplomacy) = drBabylon

Did I miss anyone?

lachancery
December 27th, 2014, 01:18
Desert Dwarf death-worshiping war-priest (melee / healing) = Lachancery

May not be wholly accurate on the "death-worshiping". I'll be going for ancient Osirian gods, which is in essence the Egyptian mythos. Which god I'll choose is still unsettled - thinking either Osiris or Anubis. The former is more on the good/healing side, the latter is more on the rites of death.

Dr_Babylon
December 27th, 2014, 01:55
Yeah I was fumbling for a better word. "Repose-concerned" didn't have quite the same ring to it but I somehow got the impression that your dwarf would have more than typical interest in securing a peaceful rest and respectful treatment for the departed. Not a bloodthirsty executioner so much as a reverent devotee to the significance of that inevitable and deeply personal final transformation. More a messenger or go-between, perhaps, with one foot in each world? I have no designs on painting you into a corner. I'm sure he or she will be fabulously intriguing any way you slice it.

Reckon I ought to read up on these pseudo-Egyptian gods myself.

lachancery
December 27th, 2014, 02:34
Yeah I was fumbling for a better word. "Repose-concerned" didn't have quite the same ring to it but I somehow got the impression that your dwarf would have more than typical interest in securing a peaceful rest and respectful treatment for the departed. Not a bloodthirsty executioner so much as a reverent devotee to the significance of that inevitable and deeply personal final transformation. More a messenger or go-between, perhaps, with one foot in each world? I have no designs on painting you into a corner.

Like you, I'm toying with two concepts. They're actually quite close to each other; it's more a matter of lead guiding beliefs.

I'm hesitating between Osiris and Anubis at the moment. With Osiris, my concerns would be with "enlightenment" in the afterlife, the final "rebirth", whether that means arriving safely to the final destination, or coming back through resurrection. Osiris seems to have a slight bend towards before & after death, whereas Anubis seems focused on the death itself, its rituals and inevitability.

Admittedly, I have not read enough on the Egyptian mythos to mold my character's concept. If you'll be choosing your healing shaman, I'll be tempted to go for the harder-line Anubis. If you'll be going ranger, I'm more likely to go for Osiris who will make a stronger healer... Pressure's back on you! ;)

Come to think of it, hang on a minute...

@ Blahness: can you confirm that the references I have been reading are accurate?

Osirian Pantheon (and other Pathfinder gods): https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Portal:Religion

Osiris: https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Osiris

Anubis: https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Anubis

Blahness98
December 27th, 2014, 03:51
@Lach: Yep those are accurate. Still dumping stuff onto the forums, but that matches what I have on it.

Tymire
December 27th, 2014, 06:23
At this rate with what's everyone is considering probably going some type of Int based caster (witch or arcanist) or less likely a shaman (speaker for the past). As mentioned still wanted to take a look at what's going to be posted.

Also think an archer was mentioned *shrug*.

Nickademus
December 27th, 2014, 11:41
Yeah, Kyle will be playing an archer fighter (gee, that sounds familiar).

Blahness98
December 27th, 2014, 15:26
I am more or less waiting for proboards to get their crap together. I haven't been able to change any settings in a few days. Once that gets fixed, I will get the link and the calendar page up.

kwarner1986
December 27th, 2014, 17:48
I'm torn between playing a Half-Elf Lightning Sorcerer or a Human Fighter Archer.

Dr_Babylon
December 28th, 2014, 00:30
Yeah. Let's make it official. Totally playing an Elf Ranger from a largely uncharted region in the wastes beyond civilization. Probably just stick with the base class instead of futzing with variants and such like I usually do. I'd love to use Freebooter for the sake of supporting the group but I'd have trouble justifying the swimming aspect of that archetype. I love the flavor of Guide and Skirmisher but I suspect the trade-off isn't worth it.

Anyway, she should bring some frontline combat capabilities, especially geared towards dispatching undead foes and hopefully she can keep the rest of you fed and sheltered as well when we're in the wilds. As has been politely implied, I'm not so great with optimization so I can only hope she won't lag too far behind in terms of overall usefulness.

lachancery
December 28th, 2014, 01:46
Is that your final answer, Dr_B? Do you wish to lock it in? ;)

Unless another character declares he will have some magical healing, I will then also commit my choice of deity to Osiris...

Dr_Babylon
December 28th, 2014, 02:13
Is it my imagination or is the Elven pantheon for Golarion pretty limited? I can only find three knife-ear deities online. Any suggestions? Maybe a plan, all-purpose nature god, fickle and detached on matters of feeble mortal struggles?

Anyone else planning on fielding an Elf? I like to be special...

Trenloe
December 28th, 2014, 03:00
Is it my imagination or is the Elven pantheon for Golarion pretty limited? I can only find three knife-ear deities online. Any suggestions? Maybe a plan, all-purpose nature god, fickle and detached on matters of feeble mortal struggles?
Info on deities isn't part of the OGL so is difficult to get online. Elves of Golarion lists the following 6 as commonly worshiped by Elves: Calistria, Desna, Findeladlara, Ketephys, Nethys, Yuelral. Inner Sea Gods adds Alesta the Welcomer.

lachancery
December 28th, 2014, 03:01
Elves in Golarion worship the main deities - not just their own pantheon. Have a look on the Pathfinder Wiki at the pages religion (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Portal:Religion), Calistria (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Calistria), Desna (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Desna), Shelyn (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Shelyn), elves (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Elves) and Kyonin (https://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Kyonin) - albeit far from where we are, it is one of the "definitively elven" kingdom of Golarion; elves are found all over Golarion as a minority people.

Dr_Babylon
December 28th, 2014, 03:45
Thank you Trenloe and Lachancery both. I shall take this all into consideration. It may take some reading to decide which one translates best as a God of Not-Getting-Eaten-By-Undead.

lachancery
December 28th, 2014, 04:04
Thank you Trenloe and Lachancery both. I shall take this all into consideration. It may take some reading to decide which one translates best as a God of Not-Getting-Eaten-By-Undead.

Look up Sarenrae - she's very present in the area we'll be playing, and is a beacon of light against the undead.

Trenloe
December 28th, 2014, 04:20
Pharasma is always a staunch anti-undead deity too. Stopping souls making their way to her boneyard is sacrilege!

Dr_Babylon
December 29th, 2014, 07:19
Ended up going with Calistria for the record. Redleaf's emphasis on slaying undead doesn't really feature there but it's not like she lives in a church anyways. She's more a vindictive firebrand and impulsive thrillseeker than a ray of sunshine anyways.

Blahness98
December 29th, 2014, 17:31
Calendar page set up and invites sent out..

kwarner1986
December 29th, 2014, 22:15
I think I'm going to go with a Half Elf Lightning Elementalist Sorcerer.