PDA

View Full Version : Questions before purchase

SublimeBW
December 16th, 2014, 15:57
Hey gang,

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on this since but had a few questions before I do so.

-Can I use the standard version to run the DM display on my screen and then the player screen on another display? My hopes are to use this as a combat map, combat tracker, database for information and story tool while leaving the dice rolls in the hands of the players.

-If I start creating a campaign in the Demo version and then upgrade to the standard version does my work carry forward? I would believe so since it looks like you just enter the license # but wanted to confirm.

-How much manual build is required? I want to get all the info from the books (PHB, MM & DMG) into the program so that I don't have to clutter up the play space. Do I have to go through and manually enter each item or is there already information in there?

Thanks for any info you guys can offer.

ddavison
December 16th, 2014, 16:02
1. Yes, you can run two instances of FG. You can connect to the GM instance from the same computer by connecting to "localhost" and it will act as a player. You can then drag that instance to a second monitor if you want.

2. Any campaign you create in the Demo version will not save. Upgrading that won't help the issue, since the campaign changes won't be saved. You'll want to upgrade to a full or subscription version before doing any extensive campaign creation. The demo mode should give you a good feel for what is possible, but isn't meant for anything long-term.

3. Which game system are you referring to? If you are referencing D&D 5E, then you will need to enter the items you'll need for the next session or for your characters. You can get by with the bare essentials and just add the few items you need in the session prep before your game.

SublimeBW
December 16th, 2014, 16:17
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Glad I didn't toy around too much with the demo mode after downloading it and was sidetracked by the bright-shiny new Xbox1. Sounds like I will be picking this up then. The main concern was the first question. Didn't want to get into it if I had to have a separate copy for my players as well.

As for the game system, I am indeed referring to 5e. Will be some time before I actually start the campaign so if I have to manually enter then so bit it!

damned
December 16th, 2014, 22:14
check out Valeros parse tool for the Basic PDF and then if you really want it all you will need to learn Par5e....

Mistamichal
December 17th, 2014, 03:19
I would go so far as to say: If you want to test out the full capabilities of FG, specifically creating a campaign, take out a subscription for 1 month. Then, if you like it, continue the subscription or just pay for the full GM version.

SublimeBW
December 18th, 2014, 16:08
I would go so far as to say: If you want to test out the full capabilities of FG, specifically creating a campaign, take out a subscription for 1 month. Then, if you like it, continue the subscription or just pay for the full GM version.

OH YES! I forgot they had that option. Was looking at this via Steam. That may be a good plan. If I upgrade from a subscription and it expires and then I upgrade to a full version do I have to restart or is my stuff safe? I would assume it is safe but want to confirm.

ddavison
December 18th, 2014, 16:12
Your stuff is safe. Your key will become invalid and will revert back to a free license; however, your campaigns and other application data folder items will remain intact if you choose to re-subscribe or replace it with a permanent one-time license. Simply re-enter the new license key into your Settings when that occurs and run an update and all your items should be recognized and re-appear.

SublimeBW
December 18th, 2014, 16:34
OK, one last question. Is it relatively easy to transfer information between my laptop & desktop? I was planning on doing some building during the holiday drive (wife is preggers and gets motion sick if she doesn't drive leaving me with lots of spare time).

JohnD
December 18th, 2014, 16:40
Yes moving between desktop and laptop is easy as a standard file transfer. I think many of us use a laptop for development and desktop for hosting a game. Personally, I had great enjoyment out of building content last summer in the shade enjoying the sun and the outdoors with a beer and my FG enabled laptop. :)

ddavison
December 18th, 2014, 17:04
You'll want to backup and copy over the Application Data Folder for Fantasy Grounds. This should cover everything you need to transfer. If you know specifically which pieces you touched, you can selectively copy over just the campaigns or other folders that you need.

Mellock
December 18th, 2014, 19:24
And congrats with the new baby. :)

damned
December 18th, 2014, 22:12
dont store LIVE campaign data on dropbox/onedrive/copy etc.
by that i mean dont point the default data location to one of these backup services.
at the end of your session on PC1 zip up the campaign you were working on and drop that in your dropbox and pick it up on LAP1.
unzip to the same location.
repeat in the opposite direction when necessary....

kane280484
December 19th, 2014, 10:22
Wow, I do that, I mean I store it in my OneDrive folder - does it seriously slow down FG?

(Will switch to local-only, just curious)

damned
December 19th, 2014, 10:53
not a performance issue. its a data integrity issue.
a number of people have reported data corruption after storing live data in a cloud sync location.
many people do it and have not yet had any corruption issues.

SublimeBW
December 19th, 2014, 13:11
Thanks for all the information everyone. Think between these answers and seeing that FG is about $10 off on Steam I will be picking it up!