PDA

View Full Version : Lost man - Looking for group.

Findanniin
December 16th, 2014, 11:28
Hi Guys.

I'm lost. Completely and utterly lost.
I've been travelling for what feels like a pretty long time.
Somehow - I'm not sure what left I took when it should have been right - somehow, I ended up in a country where nobody understands a word of English.
Where people take pictures of me for taking a bus. Where the internet is 25 kb/s.
Somehow, somewhere - I ended up in proper rural China.

I'm not sure how that happened.

I also have... time on my hands.
Quite a bit of it.
That's been some time.

So... what I'm looking for, I guess is as follows:
A group of people who speak English (or Dutch. I speak Dutch. And French - but you'll mock my accent, and I'll be saying "pardon" a lot. Actually, forget about the French) and who gather using FG. Preferably at a set time that's manageable compared to Beijing time.
Can be middle of the day, can be evening. I'm flexible. Truly.
And my schedule will remain as such for the foreseeable future.

You'd be adults. Or people who can pretend they're adults. That's probably the category I'd be in.

You'll play an rpg of a genre. It's secondary here. I haven't rolled dice, real nor virtual, in years. I'd love to do it again.
I played... pretty much all the mainstream games out there. Nothing I really dislike.
Except maybe Talislanta, but that's hardly mainstream.

In return, you get... um.
Well. A guy, late twenties, who doesn't even really know how to use this software.
But this guy has time on his hands.
And if you like... take him in, and he figures out how this software works - he'd totally GM something himself, later on.
Also, I have it first-hand that he's sorta okay. Usually.

damned
December 16th, 2014, 11:52
so...
25kbps... thats gonna mae things tougher for you...
suggest you jump on to https://extraordinarygamers.com/ and signup and jump on their TS channel.
why that one? cos there is almost always someone there to talk to.
talk - introduce yourself - whatever. make sure that 25kbps will work for voice (it should).
then you prolly want to get in on a game and have a try... once again thats a good site for finding a one shot game...
most (but not all) of the GMs are US based but there are a few others.
there are a few AUS and Asian GMs about whose times will overlap yours somewhat.
but find a game, any game and see how your bandwidth copes...
you might find that you are limited to TEXT only sessions - which is ok - they are a lot of fun but can move more slowly...

and... welcome.

Findanniin
December 16th, 2014, 12:06
Thanks for the welcome Damned.

Skype is more or less okay. Not perfect quality for either direction, but manageable.
I'm cheating, and bought a 3G pre-paid modem as well, which lets me come through pretty clearly, but it's pay by the m/b, and for hour long play sessions...
Might end up being pricey.
Still, China pricey isn't terrible, and I'm probably okay with that added cost.

I'll check the forum out. I'm not much on one-shots: but probably good to get to grips with the interface if nothing else.
Cheers :)

damned
December 16th, 2014, 12:09
Hey Findanniin

If skype is ok TS will be fine... about 8kbps.
FG isnt always sending/receiving data.
Its only when the GM shares a larger image that you might struggle.

Try a one shot or three so that you can meet more people, try more systems and get a good feel for the product.
Itll make finding a permanent home a lot easier :)

Mask_of_winter
December 16th, 2014, 13:49
Also, find the user Spooner on here. He runs some dnd 5e with people in Japan and China. Canadian, Americans and Scots ex-pats.

damned
December 16th, 2014, 13:50
Spooner or Spoofer?
One is still looking for his game...

Andraax
December 16th, 2014, 14:00
I have a new campaign starting up. I'm in the US, but it looks like it would mid-morning for you. Here is the entry for the first game: https://goo.gl/NhtdDX (You can use the "change location" link to set your local timezone if it's not calculated correctly.)

I'm using Castles and Crusades, it's a starting campaign (1st level). Rules are pretty simple. If you're interested, let me know and we can setup a character generation session where we can test out connection stuff for you...

Findanniin
December 16th, 2014, 14:41
Spooner huh. Thanks Mask, I'll keep it in mind :).

And that honestly sounds like just what the doctor ordered Andraax. 1st level campaign, new people - but if you're starting 19:00 UTC, that'd start at 3 a.m. for me.
Pretty sure I won't be in any state to do that on a regular basis. Also the walls are paper thin and the girlfriend will kill me halfway through the 2nd session.

Thanks for the many replies though, makes a man hopeful :).

Andraax
December 16th, 2014, 15:00
No, it's 19:00 US/Central time. You must have clicked the link before I fixed it. Looks like it's 9am in Beijing.

damned
December 16th, 2014, 15:00
Go Spoofer....
I alo run C&C and its at a more palatable time but my group is full (7 players) but I will probably run some one shots over the next 5 weeks..

Mask_of_winter
December 16th, 2014, 15:17
I must be yearning for human contact indeed lol
Yes, I think it's Spoofer, not spooner lol

spoofer
December 25th, 2014, 22:17
PM sent.

K.

JerryRig
December 26th, 2014, 05:28
Your invited to my Underdark campaign on Wednesday evenings (though some day shifting happening over the holidays). I know your working on a character already. Just thought I would update your thread.
If you end up having to type to communicate we will adept with you. The loading of images might be a little slower for you (game maps are the important ones ...I can let you know when something is just a picture of a NPC so you can cancel it if you want).