PDA

View Full Version : A little help for a new campaign?

Blacksheep
December 14th, 2014, 23:15
Greetings. Long time GM but neophyte VTTer here. I'm wanting to use the FG2 platform to run my first VTT campaign, Rise of the Drow by Adventure a Week.

I bought all the relevant VTT files from AaW. What do I need here? Presumably a license (which one?) and the add ons specified by the content providers at AaW? Anything else?

Note that I'd like access for myself as GM and five players as quickly as possible, including absorbing all costs at my end as an enticement to make the switch, so if there is a broad license I can buy and then simply hand out keys or whatever to my players that would be optimal.

Sorry for the barrage of really basic questions but I am new to this environment and need a crash course on what to buy and do to get this project up and running.

Many thanks.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2014, 23:44
Greetings. Long time GM but neophyte VTTer here. I'm wanting to use the FG2 platform to run my first VTT campaign, Rise of the Drow by Adventure a Week.
Welcome, and good idea running the Rise of the Drow - are you running from the beginning of the main book or planning to run the prologue first?

I bought all the relevant VTT files from AaW. What do I need here? Presumably a license (which one?) and the add ons specified by the content providers at AaW? Anything else?
You should get an Ultimate license (see the next answer below). You don't specifically need any AaW content, but if you are planning on running the prologue I'd recommend running A0 and A1 to get the PCs to Rybalka - it brings them into the campaign world and gets them some badly needed experience otherwise the PCs will be sorely pressed from the word go as this campaign is very, very challenging. You can get A0 and A1 in FG module format from the FG store: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=&sys=-1&pub=22&typ=-1&x=11&y=7&sort=1

Note that I'd like access for myself as GM and five players as quickly as possible, including absorbing all costs at my end as an enticement to make the switch, so if there is a broad license I can buy and then simply hand out keys or whatever to my players that would be optimal.
If you want to absorb all of the costs then your best bet is to get the Ultimate license. Yes it's a big investment, but it will mean that you don't even have to hand out licenses to your players, anyone with the demo (free) license can join your games.

Sorry for the barrage of really basic questions but I am new to this environment and need a crash course on what to buy and do to get this project up and running.
No worries, we've all been newbies here at one time and struggled to get it all clear in our minds.

Blacksheep
December 15th, 2014, 00:20
Trenloe - thanks so much, that's exactly the kind of information I needed.

Just FYI ...

[A]re you running from the beginning of the main book or planning to run the prologue first?

My current thinking is: Campaign = {A0 + A1 + Prologue + RotD}

You don't specifically need any AaW content, but if you are planning on running the prologue I'd recommend running A0 and A1 to get the PCs to Rybalka - it brings them into the campaign world and gets them some badly needed experience otherwise the PCs will be sorely pressed from the word go as this campaign is very, very challenging

I'm digging the {A0 + A1} starting approach. Both are short, thematic, and leave plenty of time for oral descriptions to set the scene. Glad to hear I'm not adding too many XPs in doing so. I note your comment that I can buy them directly from FG ... I already picked them up from AaW (or I think I bought the same thing, anyway), I guess I'll see how seamlessly they integrate and if there's any problems I'll just grab them again here.

If you want to absorb all of the costs then your best bet is to get the Ultimate license. Yes it's a big investment, but it will mean that you don't even have to hand out licenses to your players, anyone with the demo (free) license can join your games.

I've been buying hardbacks from Paizo since they started Pathfinder, so even with the license this looks very price competitive. Very cool I can just drop a flat fee and hook up my players; that way there are no entry barriers and everyone can feel comfortable signing up at the same time whatever their circumstances.

No worries, we've all been newbies here at one time and struggled to get it all clear in our minds.

Again, thanks. This is exactly the type of collegiality I was hoping to find here.

Cheers

Trenloe
December 15th, 2014, 00:38
I note your comment that I can buy them directly from FG ... I already picked them up from AaW (or I think I bought the same thing, anyway), I guess I'll see how seamlessly they integrate and if there's any problems I'll just grab them again here.
If you bought the Fantasy Grounds products from the adventureaweek.com website (https://adventureaweek.com/shop/product-category/fgii/) then you'll be fine - they're the same products as the ones in the FG store.

You might want to also pick up the Rybalka campaign setting - it's basically all of the Rybalka info, maps, images, etc. from the subscribers section of the AaW website put into a FG module for ease of use within Fantasy Grounds.

Blacksheep
December 15th, 2014, 01:00
Cool, good to know, thanks - and I'll pick up the Rybalka setting pack as well, that sounds great.

damned
December 15th, 2014, 14:41
also - if you are not totally convinced to shell out the $$ for the ultimate you can pay $10 and try it out for a month on subscription. it doesnt reduce your purchase price bt if you are hesitant its a good safe way to try it out.... either way - welcome aboard and happy gaming.

Blacksheep
December 16th, 2014, 18:54
also - if you are not totally convinced to shell out the $$ for the ultimate you can pay $10 and try it out for a month on subscription. it doesnt reduce your purchase price bt if you are hesitant its a good safe way to try it out.... either way - welcome aboard and happy gaming.

Thanks, damned.