PDA

View Full Version : Implementing Dragon Breath, AoE spells

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 12:11
I'm trying to set up attacks/Effects in the Actions tab of several different characters so that the target automatically rolls its save, the damage is calculated and then the damage is applied according to the result of the save. So I set up a new Power for Breath Weapon, add a 'Cast' and give it an appropriate saving throw. I then add a damage line with 2d6 fire damage. In the combat tracker I select targets and make the cast and, correctly, all of the targets make a saving through. I then click on damage which is correctly applied to any targets that fail their save. However, with Dragon Breath and several other spells like Fireball, any targets which succeed on their save take half damage and this part is not being applied (in fact all targets which succeed are unselected as targets). Now the Wiki, which details the various effects which the program recognises, does not seem to contain any keywords which would cover this situation (Avoidance and Evasion not being applicable).

So, my question is, is it possible to do this? If so can some kind person point me in the direction of the solution. If not then can someone let me know. so that what little hair I still have will last a little longer. :)

damned
December 11th, 2014, 12:52
create a second damge entry with the half damage.
once you have applied the full damage to the still selected targets (those that failed their save) apply the half damage to the other targets as a separate roll.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 13:25
Damned, you are a gentleman and a scholar. So in the case of the breath weapon I'd just create a second entry that does 1d6 damage; elegant. Just to be pedantic if the damage were 3d6 or a similar number of odd dice how do I create 1/2 damage for that, or am I asking too much of the built in automation?

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 14:21
Wait, of course, I just light up the half damage from the modifiers window before making the roll. Damned once again I and my hair thank you!

El Condoro
December 11th, 2014, 14:22
There is also a "Half on success" option in the spell damage dialog box (Actions tab)

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 14:55
There is also a "Half on success" option in the spell damage dialog box (Actions tab)

Em, I don't see that! All that's in the damage dialog is Dice, Stat, Bonus and Type. Nothing like that in the cast section either. Are you perhaps sneakily running a version that hasn't been released yet?

EDIT: Ah, yes you are. I've just downloaded the test version and there is the option, right there where you said it was. Kudos to the developers and to you El Condoro for nudging me (however unconsciously) in the right direction.

Also, it must be great being in the Antipodes at this time of year. It's blowing a blizzard outside here :)

El Condoro
December 11th, 2014, 21:04
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention I am on the test version. Yes, it's going to be 25 deg Celsius here today - summer approaching.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 22:27
Yes, it's going to be 25 deg Celsius here today - summer approaching.

That makes me feel a whole lot better :(