PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest

Nickademus
December 10th, 2014, 23:52
I'm not planning on running a game, at this moment.

But I have a live campaign that was well received and I've considered running it over FG. It is a bit different than most fanstasy campaigns and not everyone that tried the live version liked it. So I wanted to ask around and see who would find this particular style interesting and have adequate availability.

System: Pathfinder (knowledge of system not required)
Character Creation: Custom (no character needed beforehand)
Slot: 7 pm-11 pm EST on Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat
Campaign Emphasis: role-playing and character development
Tools: FG and Team Speak

Out of the blue, a letter arrives from Uncle Ved. This could be your chance! A chance to get out of this backwater village and make a name for yourself. After all the storybooks you’ve read of knights and heroes slaying dragons and defeating armies of orcs, maybe Uncle Ved will bring you and your friends to the Frontier to adventure with him…

This game is what is called a 'Zero-Level Campaign' or Peasant Campaign. It takes place in a fantasy world where you play boys and girls just coming of age. No one has gained any PC levels or even experience traveling. The only source of character knowledge about the outside world is the stories of the peddlers and the storybooks they bring. An uncle of one of the PCs is a powerful mage out beyond the borders of the kingdom and has paid for the children to receive a higher grade of education than most peasants can afford. Thus your parents were not surprised when you received a letter at the end of your schooling requesting a visit. It seems the mage has plans for you.

Character receive a level of a custom NPC class to start and must work to discover and earn their first PC class. The Frontier area is wild with only a small population of well-fleshed out NPCs that offer more than just a place to rest and sell. They each have personalities and agendas and can potentially help the characters earn their PC class and more. The characters become more than visiting adventurers. You become a part of the area, known by people and possibly even a part of the community.

The Frontier also just happens to be where the highest concentration of ancient ruins are. Perfect for daydreaming adventurers. The campaign is largely sandbox with periods of concentrated questing and downtime. There are several overarching plotlines that could be considered the 'main plot' of the campaign, as well as a plethora of optional content for the youths to adequately get in trouble.

This campaign also features some unusual changes and new optional content (for those bored with the standard fantasy fare). For instance, some of the changes are that there are no gods in this world (not to say their are no religions) and a new AC value has been added.

Some of the new optional content:

A new standard race
Two new classes utilizing a new magic system
An herbalism system based on skill only
An exploration system (if compatible with FG)

Does this sound like something that people would be interested in.

Old Man Trouble
December 11th, 2014, 00:18
Depending on day/time, I would be interested in this. I've had a similar idea (starting out as peasants, not heroes) before, but never got to run anything with that theme. I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments.

Blahness98
December 11th, 2014, 00:31
If you can lock down a day and time, I might be up for this. This sounds like a very interesting idea..

Dr_Babylon
December 11th, 2014, 00:41
If I could meet the voice requirement, I would be tremendously excited about this project. As it is, I shall simply heap admiration your way from the sidelines. I love me some detailed character development, yes I do.

Nickademus
December 11th, 2014, 00:50
The time is fairly set, though I can start at 7 or 7:30 pm EST as easily. The day is not up to me, but usually up to the players. This is all figurative since I'm not currently planning on running a game, but if I were that time slot is what I'm available in the evenings.

@ Dr. Babylon
I'm not opposed to a lack of voice chat, but I frown upon it. Though being able to log in to TS and hear the conversation is a must. There is a lot of voice interaction with my NPCs and the conversations go too fast for most people to type and keep up. This would mean that the player would constantly feel left out. Is there no way to get a headset for your computer?

Dr_Babylon
December 11th, 2014, 03:16
While I can entirely appreciate your sentiment on the subject, I am afraid that voice remains completely unfeasible for me. Thus, I must indeed relegate myself to a superfluous position offering only praise in lieu of outright contribution. It is a brilliant premise, especially the potential for building stronger initial bonds between player-characters. I've always had trouble buying into a band of strangers essentially trusting each other implicitly on the spur of the moment simply because there's adventure afoot. If I am reading your intentions correctly here, the party formation promises to be a good deal more intimate in terms of background affiliation.

In any event, I have taken up enough of your time so I bid you farewell and best wishes.

RustyAngel
December 11th, 2014, 15:49
This sounds like a neat idea, however I am unavailable on those days >.<.

Nickademus
December 11th, 2014, 21:33
After a brief discussion with a friend that wishes for me to run this, I can add Monday morning to the list of possible times. I'm still not planning on running this, but if I were to change my mind morning EST game might be more manageable.

Old Man Trouble
December 12th, 2014, 01:30
You know, you're awfully active in this thread for someone not planning on running it. 8D

Nickademus
December 12th, 2014, 06:18
You're correct. It's almost as if I'm here 'Gauging Interest'. :P

fatalnightshade
December 15th, 2014, 00:44
seems like an awfully interesting concept i am rather interested in this

Unbutu
December 23rd, 2014, 05:09
It's interesting, for sure.

I'd like to play a game where the focus is on character developement. It's what gives the meaning to all the rest.

It reminds me in a way of the kickstarted ''The Adequate Commoner.''

Nickademus
December 23rd, 2014, 06:37
How many are available for a Monday morning EST game slot? That seems to be the only time possible for my friend.

fatalnightshade
December 23rd, 2014, 08:05
uhm... id need a specific time on mondays since i already have a game that day but might be able to squeeze in two depending on their times...

Old Man Trouble
December 23rd, 2014, 17:35
I am unavailable on Monday mornings.

Vasquea
December 28th, 2014, 19:46
Reading the first post I would be very interested in something like this if you did run it but times would be a little more difficult for me being in Ireland and untill I get my new work schedule I could not say that I would be able to make it

Arborhawk
January 1st, 2015, 01:20
Sounds very interesting. Count me intrigued! Also available for those times except Fri.

Chocopyro
January 4th, 2015, 04:23
I actually got FG because I wanted to run a game very similar to this for some online friends. So, this would be a great learning experience, seeing as how I haven't actually joined any games yet. (Not including using it for battle map purposes around the table) I'd be missing from Friday games, but I could certainly be there for any days other than Wed-Thurs-Fri.

Hurty_Noob
January 10th, 2015, 23:05
sounds awesome! i'd want to play if you ever did host this.

Nickademus
January 15th, 2015, 21:31
EDIT: due to circumstances, Monday morning is no longer an option. I'll consider the feasibility of an evening game and post it if this campaign is to be run.