PDA

View Full Version : 5E Effects examples

El Condoro
December 10th, 2014, 22:57
I'm not sure if this would help, but I have set up a (blank) Google Doc for people to add their effects codes. The last column is for confirmed tests. Once a code has been confirmed perhaps it could be transferred to the official wiki? I, for one, would find an effect repository very useful.

Google Doc (anyone can edit) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dctEkBftJFivXBYBQ3cQPqDyRuRr6KNcGwTf9oQ2YzU/edit?usp=sharing)

Thegroo
December 11th, 2014, 00:53
Great Idea and some good entrys.

Thanks to all

nytemare3701
April 11th, 2015, 23:40
What's the process one would go through to expand this? I'm going to be writing a lot of these over the next few weeks, and I wouldn't mind sharing.

damned
April 12th, 2015, 06:42
nytemare3701 dont go editing other peoples work. Add you own. If you have an improved version of an existing effect add it underneath the current one with a Note explaining how/why.

But - go for it! The more people applying their brains and imagination to this the better it will be.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

JohnD
April 12th, 2015, 06:48
Very interesting... we'll be expanding the list quickly with this.

Larac
April 12th, 2015, 06:52
Thanks this will help me as well.

Lee

nytemare3701
April 12th, 2015, 07:27
nytemare3701 dont go editing other peoples work. Add you own. If you have an improved version of an existing effect add it underneath the current one with a Note explaining how/why.

But - go for it! The more people applying their brains and imagination to this the better it will be.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-1.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Never said I was editing someone else's work. I was talking about listing more of the class effects as I figure them out for listing in the official wiki.

damned
April 12th, 2015, 08:19
nytemare3701 didnt suggest you were :) you asked the process, i responded. get in there and go for it :)

DickNervous
April 17th, 2015, 22:38
Okay, so I've never done any of this in FG, but there is always a first time. :)

I have a Paladin with Heavy Armor Mastery which means that when taking non-magical slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage he takes 3 less points. So would using the following effect do the trick:

DMG:3, melee, ranged;RESIST:bludgeoning,slashing,piercing;[SELF]

Though I don't see how you would differentiate between magical and non-magical....

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2015, 22:53
All you need for this is the damage reduction part (you can't set up the whole thing). For the damage reduction you would need an effect of DMG: -3 on the NPC who is dealing the damage. You can set up that effect on the Paladin's action tab and once he is hit you would drag the effect onto the NPC before the damage was rolled.

Resistance is a different thing altogether; it reduces damage by half against certain damage types. That's not what the Heavy Armour Mastery does. Just FYI to set up a resistance to non magical weapons you would use this - RESIST: bludgeoning,slashing,piercing,!magic

DickNervous
April 18th, 2015, 01:33
Got it.

So the way we have it setup currently (I click a button that heals me 3pts when I get hit, assuming 3 or more was done) is just as easy. Then we don't have to apply an effect to all the enemies who attack me.

I'm gonna have to look at this more. I'm determined to figure out a way to do this. :)

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2015, 12:25
Yes, or another way that I have just thought of is to use the modifier button at the bottom left. Click on it and then enter -3 before the NPC rolls damage. This will better handle any situations where less than 3 points of damage is done over your healing method, because if the modifier reduces damage below 0 it will apply 0.

For more information on effects have a look here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Although the effects are very powerful and you can automate a great deal within FG there are some limitations. You would not be able to set up the whole feat with the way effects work at present.

Valhingen
April 21st, 2015, 15:13
I'm struggling with one - I thought of a ring that is essentially a +1 Ring with +2 to Poison Saves (in 5E I suppose I have to go with CON saves).
Now for the syntax, SAVE:1 works ... but I cannot seem to get a CON in there. SAVE:1 [CON] doesnt work, neither any other way I could think of.

I thought it should be SAVE:1; SAVE:2 [CON] but either way, its not working for me...anyone?

Trenloe
April 21st, 2015, 15:19
I thought it should be SAVE:1; SAVE:2 [CON] but either way, its not working for me...anyone?
See the [stat] section under modifiers for the correct syntax of the statistic: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

Use SAVE: 2 constitution

Valhingen
April 21st, 2015, 15:33
Yes, thats where I thought its CON "When applying effects from PC sheet powers, bracketed ability tags ([STR],[DEX],...)"

Thanks alot for that tip :)

Trenloe
April 21st, 2015, 15:40
Yes, thats where I thought its CON "When applying effects from PC sheet powers, bracketed ability tags ([STR],[DEX],...)"
That's for applying the actual stat bonus to the effect: "When applying effects from PC sheet powers, bracketed ability tags ([STR],[DEX],...) can be added to the modifier dice and numerical portion to adjust by current PC attribute modifiers"

Xorn
April 22nd, 2015, 14:23
For Heavy Armor Mastery I made a modifier called HAM that is a -3. I click it before rolling damage on the guy with that feat. It's quicker than waiting for him to apply the effect to a monster than hits him.

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2015, 14:26
For Heavy Armor Mastery I made a modifier called HAM that is a -3. I click it before rolling damage on the guy with that feat. It's quicker than waiting for him to apply the effect to a monster than hits him.

I read this and at first I thought, "what has bacon got to do with a D&D feat?". Then I read it again :)

And nice solution, I keep forgetting that you can create your own modifiers.

someoneinatree
April 26th, 2015, 02:14
Just added Dodge to the google doc. I actually feel like it would be cool if this was a power already built into the 5E character sheet by default (I basically add it as a power on every 5e character I create, as it also serves as a reminder that the action is always an option available to me).

Morik
September 1st, 2015, 08:48
Just added Gauntlets of Ogre Power to the list. Someone let me know if there's a better way to do this. My version adds to your STR value. It would be nice if there was a way to replace your STR value instead.

Zacchaeus
September 1st, 2015, 10:46
Just added Gauntlets of Ogre Power to the list. Someone let me know if there's a better way to do this. My version adds to your STR value. It would be nice if there was a way to replace your STR value instead.

No, your way of doing this is correct. You would not want to overwrite your original strength value since you would need to know what that was in case you took the Gauntlets off or wanted to increase your ability score on level up.

Morik
September 1st, 2015, 17:14
Thanks :) Now, how would you add the Dueling Feature? It simply adds 2 damage when using a single weapon. I thought I could use the DMG command and just turn the effect on and leave it on, but it's not working...

Edit: Nevermind, it was a formatting error on my part :)

GraytDane
September 2nd, 2015, 01:20
Useful; thanks folks!

Morik
September 2nd, 2015, 21:50
Any idea how to do improved critical?

Jordan2261x
September 3rd, 2015, 00:31
For Improved Critical click the magnifying glass to the right of "Weapons" on the Actions tab of the character sheet. The menu that pops up allows you to set the critical threshold for ranged and melee weapon attacks.

Morik
September 3rd, 2015, 03:35
Thank you very much :)

Morik
September 3rd, 2015, 19:55
Any ideas on Heavy Armor Master?

Specifically this part: While you are wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from non magical weapons is reduced by 3.

Jordan2261x
September 3rd, 2015, 20:16
You would want to create the following effect and apply it to whichever character has the Heavy Armor Master Feat. Use a duration of 0 so that it does not expire.

RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic

That should do the trick.

Morik
September 4th, 2015, 02:47
Perfect, thanks.

Morik
September 4th, 2015, 04:32
So, how would you use that to do a Monk's Deflect Arrows?

RESIST: 1d10+DEX+(?monk level?) ranged

How would you work the monk level in? And will the all that work, or does it have to be a static number after RESIST?

Morik
September 4th, 2015, 08:31
For the Blur spell: Blur; GRANTDISATK; [SELF]

That sound right?

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2015, 12:24
For the Blur spell: Blur; GRANTDISATK; [SELF]

That sound right?

Indeed, that is correct. Only difficulty is that there isn't a way to build in any of the exceptions; the attacker has blindsight for example. You'll just have to handle that manually.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2015, 12:31
So, how would you use that to do a Monk's Deflect Arrows?

RESIST: 1d10+DEX+(?monk level?) ranged

How would you work the monk level in? And will the all that work, or does it have to be a static number after RESIST?

For Monk's Deflect Missiles you'll want this DMG: -1d10 [-DEX], [-LVL]. Set the expend to SINGLES. Drag this effect onto the attacker just before damage is rolled. Deflect Missiles isn't a resistance it's a straight reduction in damage so RESIST isn't appropriate.

Morik
September 5th, 2015, 06:25
Thanks a ton :)

Morik
September 5th, 2015, 06:44
I'm not familiar enough with googledocs, is there a way to put these in some kind of order?

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2015, 16:22
I'm not familiar enough with googledocs, is there a way to put these in some kind of order?

You would think there would be a sort option but I can't find one. :)

GraytDane
September 5th, 2015, 17:10
It would be easy to import the document into Word, sort, and then export back to the drive (if desired).

lambchopsil
September 5th, 2015, 18:17
Just need to transfer the data to a Google Sheet instead of a Google Doc. Sheets are sortable.

Morik
September 5th, 2015, 18:42
OK, I was just thinking that if this thing really grows, it would be quite unwieldy if it wasn't sorted.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2015, 21:12
OK, I was just thinking that if this thing really grows, it would be quite unwieldy if it wasn't sorted.

I shouldn't worry too much about it growing. The sheet was started because at the time there weren't many examples on the Wiki and there were a lot of questions about effects circulating. The Wiki was updated in, I think, February with many of the examples from the sheet and more recently it has had a slew of additional entries for new functionality in respect of magic item effects. It is more than likely that the Google Doc is now more or less defunct and, apart from your entry recently, hasn't had a new entry in some months.

You will more than likely find that the Wiki is the go-to place now for effects.

healdhj
September 6th, 2015, 21:57
I shouldn't worry too much about it growing. The sheet was started because at the time there weren't many examples on the Wiki and there were a lot of questions about effects circulating. The Wiki was updated in, I think, February with many of the examples from the sheet and more recently it has had a slew of additional entries for new functionality in respect of magic item effects. It is more than likely that the Google Doc is now more or less defunct and, apart from your entry recently, hasn't had a new entry in some months.

You will more than likely find that the Wiki is the go-to place now for effects.

That being said, this document is I'm just using FG. I'm looking to build many of the effects in advance and this is going to help.

The more the merrier!

GunnarGreybeard
September 9th, 2015, 21:56
I'm working on something similar that gives a bonus to everything involving STR (such as attack, damage, checks, saves and also skills). If that doable, could someone please post the syntax for that, its making me pull my hair out. :-(

jshauber
September 9th, 2015, 22:14

I don't think you want to replace any current ability values as you need to track those for increases and also what happens if you aren't wearing the affecting item any longer.?

I'm working on something similar that gives a bonus to everything involving STR (such as attack, damage, checks, saves and also skills). If that doable, could someone please post the syntax for that, its making me pull my hair out. :-(

I would just add STR:4 (or whatever the # is) effect to get the added bonus to all strength based rolls. This allows for the ability to remain as listed, but gives the bonuses associated with an item/spell/whatever. This can also be easily removed if necessary and detrimental effects will stack with it as needed if that happens.

Trenloe
September 9th, 2015, 22:38
I would just add STR:4 (or whatever the # is) effect to get the added bonus to all strength based rolls. This allows for the ability to remain as listed, but gives the bonuses associated with an item/spell/whatever. This can also be easily removed if necessary and detrimental effects will stack with it as needed if that happens.
This won't adjust Strength saves (a current known issue). In doing some quick testing STR:4 won't adjust STR based damage by +2 in the damage is untyped. If the damage has a type it works fine.

To clarify. STR:4 adds +2 to:

Attacks
STR based skills
STR checks.
STR based damage with a damage type.

But doesn't add +2 to:

STR saves.
STR based damage without a damage type.

EDITED to reflect post #45 and #47 below.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2015, 22:54
If I am understanding you correctly Trenloe, I can get STR damage to work as seen in the screen shot. I can confirm SAVE isn't working but damage, skills and checks seem fine.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2015, 23:08
I see that someone has also put up the shield spell using SCOVER. I would suggest that AC: 5 would be more correctly in line with what the spell description indicates.

Trenloe
September 10th, 2015, 01:03
If I am understanding you correctly Trenloe, I can get STR damage to work as seen in the screen shot. I can confirm SAVE isn't working but damage, skills and checks seem fine.
Thanks for checking. My testing was with untyped damage - which appears to screw with STR effects, as well as DMGTYPE effects as I reported here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25657-5E-DMGTYPE-effect-not-working-when-base-damage-is-untyped

If the STR based damage has a damage type then a STR effect is applied correctly.

Azngalahad
September 10th, 2015, 10:33
im trying to create a vorpal bladish weapon, is there an effect where it can instantly kill an enemy from its remaining hp, or would it be better to just use a massive amount of damage like 1000

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2015, 12:24
Thanks for checking. My testing was with untyped damage - which appears to screw with STR effects, as well as DMGTYPE effects as I reported here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25657-5E-DMGTYPE-effect-not-working-when-base-damage-is-untyped

If the STR based damage has a damage type then a STR effect is applied correctly.

Ah, roger that. I can confirm that you are correct in that the additional damage does not follow through when the damage type is untyped. Having said that I can't think of anything with doesn't have a damage type in 5e, but on the other hand there could be. :)

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2015, 12:27
im trying to create a vorpal bladish weapon, is there an effect where it can instantly kill an enemy from its remaining hp, or would it be better to just use a massive amount of damage like 1000

There isn't an instakill effect or indeed any effect which I can think of that would help you with this one. I think your idea of massive damage is the only solution. Probably something like DMG: 1000 and place the effect just before damage is rolled. Or just have the DM kill the creature in the Combat tracker.

TASagent
September 10th, 2015, 14:48
Azngalahad, one of the issues with implementing the vorpal sword is it has a number of caveats that make good automation impossible. These issues may apply to a greater or lesser degree to your problem depending on how vorpal-ish the weapon you want to create is. For Vorpal weapons in particular, here's the effect:

If you roll a natural 20 (and you can't just check for crit because things that tweak crit range wouldn't affect this),

and the creature is not immune to slashing weapons (we can test this),
and the creature is not too big (entirely subjective and based on the circumstance),
and the creature has one or more heads (that you could meaningfully cut off - obviously no actual stats for this),
and the creature does not have legendary actions (not really something we can test),
then you cut off one of his heads. The creature then dies only if he cannot survive with just the remaining heads (another subjective, stat-less judgement call), otherwise it just deals an extra 6d8 slashing damage.

While most creatures would satisfy all of these requirements, with the most common exception likely being the immunity to slashing weapons, the problematic behavior when it misfires would likely make it too annoying. Death means maxing out his wounds, but if a given character was supposed to be an exception, then you've just obliterated your record of how many wounds he actually had prior to just setting his wounds to max. So, unlike some effects, having this trigger at incorrect times would actually be incredibly inconvenient - inconvenient enough that it probably would not make the convenient times worth it (at least to me).

In the case of the vorpal weapon, what I would probably do is just add the effect to roll the extra 6d8 slashing damage on a crit, suck up the small potential to have it trigger on non-20 crits (and encourage the PC not to pursue 'all possible means' of tweaking his crit range to take advantage of the adjustment, reversing this decision if that happens anyway). Then all you need to do as a DM is remember that a torrent of dice on his melee attack means it's time to whip out the above table and see if the creature should be dead. In that case, you just want:

DMG: 6d8 slashing, magic, critical

It needs to be magic damage because it's dealt with a magic weapon and that's how magic weapons are detected - people sometimes overlook including that in their damage descriptors.

Daranduil
September 13th, 2015, 22:44
You would want to create the following effect and apply it to whichever character has the Heavy Armor Master Feat. Use a duration of 0 so that it does not expire.

RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic

That should do the trick.

I wrote this effect, but allways get damage reduced by half. It seems that doesn't get the number (but get slashing, bludgeoning, piercing correctly just getting half damage instead of reducing 3 damage)

I have version 3.1.2 (the version is updated at 13th September 2015).

arkanis
September 14th, 2015, 11:53
Same problem here, it seems that RESIST ignores the damage reduction number and applies standard resistance (half damage).

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2015, 12:24
I can't reproduce this. See screen shot. The text says partially resisted and Bob is taking 3 points less damage than rolled.

Trenloe
September 14th, 2015, 17:46
I wrote this effect, but allways get damage reduced by half. It seems that doesn't get the number (but get slashing, bludgeoning, piercing correctly just getting half damage instead of reducing 3 damage)

I have version 3.1.2 (the version is updated at 13th September 2015).
Are you running any extensions? If so, disable them all and see if it still happens. Easiest way to do this is to run in a brand new campaign with no extensions enabled.

Please provide a screenshot similar to Zacchaeus's above so we can try to work out what the issue might be.

arkanis
September 14th, 2015, 17:50
I can't reproduce this. See screen shot. The text says partially resisted and Bob is taking 3 points less damage than rolled.

This is how the effect works for me

arkanis
September 14th, 2015, 18:12
Are you running any extensions? If so, disable them all and see if it still happens. Easiest way to do this is to run in a brand new campaign with no extensions enabled.

Please provide a screenshot similar to Zacchaeus's above so we can try to work out what the issue might be.

The "HP under zero" extension prevented the effect from working properly. Thanks for the hint guys ;)

Daranduil
September 14th, 2015, 19:25
Same here 3rd party extension removal fixed it. Thank a lot.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2015, 19:40
Jolly good. I never think of extensions, but Trenloe always does. I could learn from him eh? :)

Just as an FYI, the HP under zero extension is no longer needed I think as of release 3.1.2. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24825-Test-Release-v3-1-2&p=218857&viewfull=1#post218857).

arkanis
September 14th, 2015, 19:49
Jolly good. I never think of extensions, but Trenloe always does. I could learn from him eh? :)

Just as an FYI, the HP under zero extension is no longer needed I think as of release 3.1.2. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24825-Test-Release-v3-1-2&p=218857&viewfull=1#post218857).

Note to self: Reading the release notes is highly recommended. :o

kylania
September 14th, 2015, 20:50
It needs to be magic damage because it's dealt with a magic weapon and that's how magic weapons are detected - people sometimes overlook including that in their damage descriptors.

I do keep forgetting that! Thanks for the reminder.

Tycandus
September 15th, 2015, 19:49
I'm having an issue, even when entering the code as shown in the docs, I get an error anytime I try to apply the effects; "Unable to decode effects details" Not sure where I could have gone wrong.

Griogre
September 15th, 2015, 19:56
Your effect syntax is wrong or you are trying to do something effects can't do. Post up the exact effect text (or give us a screenshot) that is giving you problem and we'll see if we can get you sorted out.

Tycandus
September 15th, 2015, 21:47
Figured it out. I have to hit enter before testing the effect.

Tycandus
September 15th, 2015, 21:51
Once you get all of the effects input, how would you go about creating a module or extension so they could be used elsewhere?

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 22:27
Once you get all of the effects input, how would you go about creating a module or extension so they could be used elsewhere?
You can add effects to the campaign effects list (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Effects), and then use the new extension to export campaign effects to a module for use in other campaigns: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26044-Campaign-Effects-Export-Extension-(CoreRPG-based-rulesets)

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2015, 22:33
You can add effects to the campaign effects list (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Effects), and then use the new extension to export campaign effects to a module for use in other campaigns: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26044-Campaign-Effects-Export-Extension-(CoreRPG-based-rulesets)

Good grief Trenloe, when do you have time to do all this stuff. Brilliant work.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2015, 22:40
Good grief Trenloe, when do you have time to do all this stuff. Brilliant work.
I've actually had it for a while as I wanted to see if there was a way I could block it from showing in the library. At the time I didn't have any free time to look into what I could do about blocking the appearance in the library and promptly forgot about the extension until Tycandus asked about exporting effects above.

johnblaise
September 16th, 2015, 22:43
Any suggestions for elemental affinity? I can't figure out the IF condition.

DMHERETIC
October 21st, 2015, 17:32
Hey All,
Ive been looking and havent seen any effects for Combat Superiority. Is there a way FG can handle these? or is it 'Theatre of the Mind'? I would add to the google doc if i had a clue how to do it. Thanks in advance!!

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2015, 18:09
Hey All,
Ive been looking and havent seen any effects for Combat Superiority. Is there a way FG can handle these? or is it 'Theatre of the Mind'? I would add to the google doc if i had a clue how to do it. Thanks in advance!!

See the screen shot below for how to set up combat manoeuvres.

Any suggestions for elemental affinity? I can't figure out the IF condition.

You can't use the IF condition for this one. Just edit the damage for each spell that does the correct type of elemental damage and add in the CHA modifier as a bonus to the damage.

leus
February 5th, 2016, 09:06
I don't know where put some tips and practice in the wiki, so I prefer to put them here

Timing: or playing with round count and initiative of the effect
"until the start of your next turn" is easy to code : 1 round, and initiative should be the same than yours
"until the end of your next turn" : the initiative should be yours minus 1 and with 2 rounds of duration if it's a bonus action or a normal action, and 1 if it's a reaction

Other keyword, i found on the forum archive
CRIT:19 is useful for NPC with a similar fighter power "improved critical"

I prefer some powers to have permanent effects even if they are not active under some conditions, and try to use skip or disable flag in the CT

Attached : 2 smalls modules, one with all keyword in order to have a ready-to-use example, one with extra effect (addiitionnal conditions, dice for Superior level of casting, tool)

Zacchaeus
February 5th, 2016, 12:48
Good stuff.

Another way to adjust the initiative for the 'end of your turn' is to directly adjust the initiative in the CT. In other words suppose your initiative count is 15, if the DM changes the 'initiative to adjust on' to 14.9 then the effect will remain until just after your turn and then come off as soon as the player presses the 'next actor' button.

One other point in your list of effects you have DEX:1d4. This modifier can't take dice as it's value, only numbers. So DEX: 2 will work but not DEX: 1d4

Interesting point about the CRIT keyword. I'm not aware of any of the official monsters that have a critical range but it's useful to know.

Griogre
February 5th, 2016, 17:10
Some NPC's in modules do have the crit 19. IE, there is an NPC in the first episode of HotDQ that has that property.

LoganChops
May 1st, 2016, 05:20
How would you go about setting up a Ring of Regeneration? I've been reading the 5E Effects page, but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

LoganChops
May 1st, 2016, 05:47
I just set up a Power Group, and added a heal effect of 1d6 and I figure he can just keep track of every ten mins to press it. If anybody knows a better way, please let me know.

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2016, 09:28
You can set up an effect REGEN: x where x stands for the number of hit points healed. The problem is that the PC would need to be on the Combat Tracker and you would need to cycle through all those on the CT however frequently your ring worked. So if it's a minute you would need to go through the CT every minute - if you get what I mean.

REGEN: is really most used where beasties (like vampires) regenerate wounds every turn.

LoganChops
May 1st, 2016, 17:31
You can set up an effect REGEN: x where x stands for the number of hit points healed. The problem is that the PC would need to be on the Combat Tracker and you would need to cycle through ll those on the CT however frequently your ring worked. So if it's minute you would need to go through the CT every minute - if you get what I mean.

REGEN: is really most used where beasties (like vampires) regenerate wounds every turn.

Yeah, I get you. Thanks!

PTBBC.ORG
June 5th, 2016, 18:09
I am trying to setup a Duergar Cleric and trying to get the Enlarge Effect to work. I have looked at the WIKI for SIZE, but when I put it in, it doesn't actually change the size/reach of him. And how would I put in DMG: Double... or times 2?

I have tried SIZE: < = M = L and < = medium = large

PTBBC.ORG
June 5th, 2016, 19:49
For some reason it does not work for me. I put it in and it never rolls the 1d10 to reduce, and does not remove any damage.

This comment was for the Monk Deflect Missiles quote about how to put in that effect.

Zacchaeus
June 5th, 2016, 20:11
There isn't a way to alter a character's size automatically. The SIZE function is used in an IF or IFT statement and returns a value based on the creature's size. So, for example if you did extra damage to large creatures you could create an effect such as IFT:SIZE(>M); DMG 1d6.

For your Duergar PC you would just have additional lines for weaponry that deals additional damage for when they are Large (so if they normally did 1d8 damage add another line for 2d8). You can change the character's size in the Combat Tracker (Click the space and reach button next to their name and amend the value there (5) to 10) so that they can be better visually represented and by holding down the CTRL key and moving the middle mouse button you can increase the size of their token. You can then create an effects ADVCHK: strength; ADVSAV: strength to handle the saving throw advantage. Make sure that the targets is set to self and set the expiry to 1 minute.

ffujita
June 7th, 2016, 04:55
In another thread, I was told that I should use a comma instead of a semicolon to separate effects. but, from the wiki...

Effects can be chained together but each must be separated by a semi colon ';'. For example AC: 1; ATK: 1; DMG: 1d6

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2016, 14:22
In another thread, I was told that I should use a comma instead of a semicolon to separate effects. but, from the wiki...

Effects can be chained together but each must be separated by a semi colon ';'. For example AC: 1; ATK: 1; DMG: 1d6

Yes that's correct. There is sometimes a need for a comma; for example if you are creating an effect which tests for certain creature types then those are separated by a comma (IFT:TYPE(undead, celestial, dragon) or if something resists damage from more than one source (RESIST: piercing, slashing, bludgeoning). But chained effects are separated by semi colons.

Hawker75
June 13th, 2016, 04:49
Trying to figure out from the above posts...how would you make a magic item, for example a sword that is +1 against Orcs?

epithet
June 14th, 2016, 20:19
+1 vs orcs isn't a property you'll be able to automate on a weapon. You can add an effect to the character in the combat tracker that adds a +1 based on the type of a target, but that will apply to everything, not just attacks with the sword in question. I would simply handle it the old fashioned way, like we did in the ancient days of pencils and paper... just add one where appropriate. It's easy to scroll up the modifier before you roll the dice.

Zacchaeus
June 14th, 2016, 20:35
You can't specify anything on a sword but you can create an effect on the character which will do what you want:

IFT:TYPE (orc); ATK: +1, melee; DMG: +1, melee
Make the 'Targeting' Self

The only problem is that this will have the effect of giving +1 to attacks and damage to orcs for any weapon that the PC has - not just the magical one. However you can disable the effect in the CT before the PC uses any other weapon and then re-enable it when they switch back to the magical one.

Hawker75
June 14th, 2016, 21:59
You can't specify anything on a sword but you can create an effect on the character which will do what you want:

IFT:TYPE (orc); ATK: +1, melee; DMG: +1, melee
Make the 'Targeting' Self

The only problem is that this will have the effect of giving +1 to attacks and damage to orcs for any weapon that the PC has - not just the magical one. However you can disable the effect in the CT before the PC uses any other weapon and then re-enable it when they switch back to the magical one.

Ok thanks. That will be a good work-around. Good idea!

Nickademus
June 14th, 2016, 22:49
However you can disable the effect in the CT before the PC uses any other weapon and then re-enable it when they switch back to the magical one.

Isn't there an extension that allows the PC to remove the effect (temporarily) themselves? :P

damned
June 15th, 2016, 00:42
I do think putting +1 in the modifier before making the appropriate rolls would be the easiest :)

Zacchaeus
June 15th, 2016, 09:10
Isn't there an extension that allows the PC to remove the effect (temporarily) themselves? :P

I think it removes it completely. Here it is (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) if you want to check it out. I don't use it becasue I wouldn't want players doing this kind of thing themselves.

Zacchaeus
June 15th, 2016, 09:11
I do think putting +1 in the modifier before making the appropriate rolls would be the easiest :)

It may well be but I'd still use the effect since I like them :)

Trenloe
June 15th, 2016, 12:24
I think it removes it completely.
Yep, it does. But it's super easy to add the effect back on - have the add effect and the remove effect set up on the character sheet, set it to target "self" and it can be added (and removed) with the touch of a button. In the recently discussed example, the player can add the effect for sword when they are using the sword and remove it when they're not - all at the touch of a button. No asking the GM to disable/remove it, they do it themselves.

I don't use it becasue I wouldn't want players doing this kind of thing themselves.
Players can add effects themselves, so why not let them remove the effects also? It makes for a faster game, empowers the players, and allows for more effects to be used quickly if the players can remove the effects they apply as well. Reduces the burden on the GM for removing/disabling/enabling effects too. If you're concerned about players being sneaky and removing bad effects, the chat window indicates what effects they've removed, so you can keep an eye on what they're doing.

Zacchaeus
June 15th, 2016, 12:36
Players can add effects themselves, so why not let them remove the effects also? It makes for a faster game, empowers the players, and allows for more effects to be used quickly if the players can remove the effects they apply as well. Reduces the burden on the GM for removing/disabling/enabling effects too. If you're concerned about players being sneaky and removing bad effects, the chat window indicates what effects they've removed, so you can keep an eye on what they're doing.

A fair point.

damned
June 15th, 2016, 12:52
Anything that reduces the GM load is a good thing :)

Zacchaeus
June 15th, 2016, 14:38
Anything that reduces the GM load is a good thing :)

Okay, okay. I'll try it out! :pirate:

Nickademus
June 15th, 2016, 18:06
It warms my heart to see someone else promoting this. XD

Okay, okay. I'll try it out! :pirate:
We'll make a believer out of you yet.

ffujita
June 15th, 2016, 19:39
I've found the effects removal extension to be quite useful in my regular campaign. Of my seven players, four are quite proficient, and they've become masters of adding/removing effects. One of my players can add/remove effects that I've set up as campaign effects but not code a remove effect himself, and two are quite useless in this regard -- you know the ones you have to remind that the ADV button is in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

When I DM an adventurers league game, I don't even bother telling people about it -- it takes time, not so much to tell them about it as to fix it when they're trying to create a remove effect effect, and getting the syntax wrong -- and not enough of the other DMs use it to make it worth my while to teach this particular feature.

Myrdin Potter
September 20th, 2016, 19:18
Dragonborn Breath weapon - My searching skills must be poor. I know you need to manually code this as an ability if you want to automate it and I would have guessed a thread with it would be easy to find so I can go through examples, but I cannot find one ....

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 19:29
Drag the Breath weapon from the Race into the Actions tab of the character and this will set up the basics. You'll need to adjust the damage type for whatever breath weapon is used and make sure, on the Powers tab, that the correct ability is being used for the saving throw.

Myrdin Potter
September 20th, 2016, 19:36
And the damage resistance - set up an effect that does not expire?

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2016, 19:42
Yes, that's all you would need.

Dracius
December 8th, 2016, 20:29
Timing: or playing with round count and initiative of the effect
"until the start of your next turn" is easy to code : 1 round, and initiative should be the same than yours
"until the end of your next turn" : the initiative should be yours minus 1 and with 2 rounds of duration if it's a bonus action or a normal action, and 1 if it's a reaction

Can someone explain this another way for me please? I don't understand why he's setting the rounds of duration to 2.

The way I've been doing EoNT (End of Next Turn) is lowering the init to adjust on by 1 after it's applied. It would be nice if there was a way to set the duration to a fractional, like "1.1 rounds" so that you wouldn't have to manually adjust it.

I also don't see why he's treating bonus/regular actions differently than reactions.

The other thing I've been wondering about effects, is a better description of: On Next Action, On Next Roll, Once Per Modifier

I get the usage of On Next Action and Once Per Modifier, but I can't understand when/why I would use On Next Roll. It seems to only make a difference in very specific scenarios. For example I made an effect that does: ADVATK; ATK: 2
And it would apply +2 on the attack without giving it advantage unless I set it to "on next action".

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2016, 22:28
You'll find more detail about the combat tracker here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Combat_Tracker#DM_View_-_Toggles).

As you are probably aware Fantasy Grounds adjusts the turn when the actor starts their turn. This is undesirable of the spell or effect needs to stay in place until the end of the actors turn or until the end of another actors turn. When an effect is placed on an NPC or PC the Combat Tracker notes this in the 'Initiative to adjust on' box in the CT next to the actor on whom the effect was placed. The number that goes into the box is the initiative of the actor who placed the effect.

So, if a Wizard with an initiative of 10 casts a spell which puts an effect on an NPC then the initiative to adjust on will be 10. So in this case when it comes back around to the Wizard as soon as his turns starts the effect will come off. If, however, the effect should persist until the end of the Wizard's turn then we need to adjust the initiative to a value that comes after the Wizard's initiative. So if we change the value to 9.9 then the effect will remain until the wizard's turn completes.

As for bonus and reactions I don't think they need to be treated any differently. It will depend on the wording of the spell or effect as to when it should end. You need to adjust the initiative to a value that will end the effect either at the start or end of the casters turn.

The effects article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Effect_Dialog) in the Wiki explains the differences between the On Next Action/Roll/Once per modifier.

Dracius
December 9th, 2016, 02:15
Thank you for the fast reply, but that wasn't what I was asking. I'm already aware of this part:

You'll find more detail about the combat tracker here.

As you are probably aware Fantasy Grounds adjusts the turn when the actor starts their turn. This is undesirable of the spell or effect needs to stay in place until the end of the actors turn or until the end of another actors turn. When an effect is placed on an NPC or PC the Combat Tracker notes this in the 'Initiative to adjust on' box in the CT next to the actor on whom the effect was placed. The number that goes into the box is the initiative of the actor who placed the effect.

So, if a Wizard with an initiative of 10 casts a spell which puts an effect on an NPC then the initiative to adjust on will be 10. So in this case when it comes back around to the Wizard as soon as his turns starts the effect will come off. If, however, the effect should persist until the end of the Wizard's turn then we need to adjust the initiative to a value that comes after the Wizard's initiative. So if we change the value to 9.9 then the effect will remain until the wizard's turn completes.

What I don't understand is this part:

I'm already doing what you suggest and using the CT to adjust the "Init to adjust on" for effects that need to last "Until the end of your next turn". What I don't understand is why the person I quoted says he changes the duration to 2 rounds.

The effects article in the Wiki explains the differences between the On Next Action/Roll/Once per modifier.

Thank you, but what I'm hoping for is a better description than what's on the wiki:

The other thing I've been wondering about effects, is a better description of: On Next Action, On Next Roll, Once Per Modifier

This is because the description on the wiki is ambiguous and misleading:

On Next Action: The effect will expire on the next relevant action. So if the effect is a damage effect then it will expire when the player next rolls for damage.
On Next Roll: The effect will expire immediately on the next relevant roll made by the character. For example if the effect modifies both attack and damage the effect will expire on the next attack or damage roll. If there are several targets then each of the targets will be affected by the roll not just the first.

The second sentence, stating that it will expire on the next relevant attack or damage roll, also applies to "On Next Action". Thus the example provided would work exactly the same with either Expend option. I'm hoping to see an example where 'On Next Roll' is required for the effect to function properly. I already tried all the ones that use it on that are listed on the wiki:

Guidance [Spell] Guidance; CHECK: 1d4 Targeting = Targets and Expend = On Next Roll. Expiry 1 Min

And the 5e Effects Shared doc:

Guiding Bolt
GRANTADVATK
Duration 1 Round, expends on next roll
Add another effect to the damage correctly parsed

And tested them both with 'On Next Action' and the result was unchanged. I spent a while testing it and I could only find very specific situations where it had any impact, and I couldn't determine why I'd ever want that functionality.

Here is one: ADVATK; ATK: 10; DMG: 10

If you have "On Next Action" set, it'll give advantage and +10 to the attack.
If you have "On Next Roll" set, it'll only give +10.

It'll expire on either a damage or an attack roll, regardless if you set it to "on next action" or "on next roll". For some reason the "On next roll" gives priority to the +atk and ignores the advatk. I'm not sure why that is and the description on the wiki doesn't even elude to it functioning that way.

You're the go-to guy when it comes to effect coding and automation, so I figure if anyone has an answer to this it'd be you.

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2016, 11:34
Right so I went back and actually found the post you were talking about and read it :)

I don't agree with the poster's method but I see what he is saying. He's not adjusting the 'initiative to adjust on' but using the duration of the effect to get an end of round situation. So what he's saying is that if you want an effect to expire at the end of the actor's turn then make the duration 2 rounds instead of 1. That way it will expire at the beginning of the actor's second round and so will be in effect at the end of their first round.

In summary to achieve the end of turn expiry either use the initiative to adjust on box or use the duration - but not both. If you are using the adjust initiative method you don't need to bother with messing with the number of turns.

On next roll = the next dice rolled. On next action = the next action the character takes. An action can have multiple parts, a dice roll is single roll of a dice.

The main difference between on next action and on next roll is the number of targets. For example if you have an effect ATK: 2 and you only have one target selected then there won't be any (apparent) difference between on next action and on next roll. However if you have multiple targets selected then the +2 bonus to attack will only apply to the first target if the effect expires on next roll whereas the bonus will be applied to all targets if on next action is selected. The difference is that a roll is a single dice roll against a single target but an action is a dice roll which could affect a number of targets.

Another difference as you have discovered is if you have multiple effects.

In the example that you gave (ADVATK; ATK:10;) to get the correct action you'll need to select on next action, otherwise On next roll will just give you the +10 for the attack since you are telling FG to expire the effect on the next roll of a dice. So the effect expires on the next roll which in this case gives the attack bonus but not the advantage to the attack. (I don't know the exact mechanics of how FG works out dice rolls but in this specific instance using On next roll won't do what you are expecting. I would have expected it to give advantage and ignore the +10, but there you go).

So if you wanted to use the effect chain in your example you have to use on next action since the advantage to the attack and the bonus to the attack are all part of the same attack action.

Does that make any more sense?

Dracius
December 9th, 2016, 21:28
Right so I went back and actually found the post you were talking about and read it :)

I don't agree with the poster's method but I see what he is saying. He's not adjusting the 'initiative to adjust on' but using the duration of the effect to get an end of round situation. So what he's saying is that if you want an effect to expire at the end of the actor's turn then make the duration 2 rounds instead of 1. That way it will expire at the beginning of the actor's second round and so will be in effect at the end of their first round.

I don't agree with his method either, because unless I'm missing something it'll stay active past when it should. If you set the duration to 2 rounds, it'll look something like this:

1st Round
Player 1: Effect Activated
MOB 1: *does stuff*
MOB 2: *does stuff*
Player 2: *does stuff*

2nd Round
Player 1: Effect ticks down a round, but remains active
MOB 1: *does stuff*
MOB 2: *does stuff*
Player 2: *does stuff*

3rd Round
Player 1: Effect Deactivates

Doing it your/my way (dropping the init by .1 after it's applied) it expires correctly at the end of the player's next turn. Setting it to 2 rounds makes it last past when it should, meaning you'll have to go in and manually remove it. I'd rather have the ability expire 1 turn too early than last 1 round too long, especially since most "Until the end of your next turn" are defensive effects that rarely come into play on your turn anyway (eg. Blade Ward vs OA's). I don't know of any offensive effects off the top of my head that last "Until the end of your next turn" (but I'm sure someone out there knows of one).

The main difference between on next action and on next roll is the number of targets.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, see I knew there was a piece of the puzzle I was missing. Based on what you're saying, I'm pretty sure the Wiki is incorrect:

On Next Roll: The effect will expire immediately on the next relevant roll made by the character. For example if the effect modifies both attack and damage the effect will expire on the next attack or damage roll. If there are several targets then each of the targets will be affected by the roll not just the first.

Because that implies the opposite of what you're saying, since it says each of the targets would be affected by the roll.

(I don't know the exact mechanics of how FG works out dice rolls but in this specific instance using On next roll won't do what you are expecting. I would have expected it to give advantage and ignore the +10, but there you go).

I was expecting the same thing. I only made that effect for testing purposes. All of my effects have "On Next Action" or "Once per modifier" (in some fringe cases), but now that I know what "on Next Roll" actually does, I'll need to review my effects to see if the wording on any indicate it should only affect a single target in a multi-target scenario.

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2016, 22:52
Yeah, I'll need to have a look at that bit of the Wiki again; it's been a while since I did it and there's probably an error or two in there that I never went back to correct. :)

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 01:06
So the google doc has some code to handle Sneak Attack, as so:

Sneak Attack; DMG:2d6 [ROLL] [SELF]

My question is, are the [ROLL] and [SELF] commands there supposed to have semi colons separating them from the DMG portion of the macro? Just a bit confused since I'm not sure it interacts with the Targeting and Expend boxes beneath the code section.

Moon Wizard
February 20th, 2017, 02:21
The [ROLL] and [SELF] are options that you can set in the Targeting and Expend boxes. That's how the effect appears in the combat tracker when you use those Targeting/Expend boxes, and it's easier to write it on one line that way.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2017, 02:26
The [Roll] bit means set the expend to on next role and the [Self] bit means set targeting to self in the boxes below the effect entry box. You don't put them in the actual effect line. If you put the effect once done on the CT it will look like what it shows in the Goggle Doc.

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 02:56
Thank you two for the clarification. However, I have another question. I was thinking of doing a macro to do a Dragonborn's breath weapon, and wanted to make sure it's written correctly. Haven't set up my own actual server, so I haven't been able to test this since the Manage Characters option doesn't have a combat tracker from what I can tell. The following is what I've done so far.

https://i.imgur.com/0jY1Nos.png
https://i.imgur.com/gxmk20K.png
https://i.imgur.com/zNBxBlp.png

From what I've gathered by looking at other spells that have a Half on Success check, I think that should be it. Does that look right?

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2017, 03:24
Yep, spot on.

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 03:33
Thanks again. Guess I'll finish typing up the racial powers for gnome, halfling, and tiefling.

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2017, 04:30
You'll find a lot of those in the Character Sheet section of the 5e Wiki.

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 04:46
Oh, that saves some time then. Still, at least this familiarized me with how to do these effects, so that's something.

Edit: Oh, so the Dwarven Resilience advsav against poison doesn't work properly as a macro? If that's the case, guess you'd have to code for every type of poison ability/attack to get advantage against said poison.

Moon Wizard
February 20th, 2017, 05:20
There's no obvious way to tell whether a power or ability is considered a "poison" power from spell or ability data.

The best bet would be to somehow tag saves as having a "poison" keyword, if the ability has the Poisoned effect or poison damage. However, the action system would have to be upgraded to add "keywords" to save triggers, and the save advantage effect upgraded to watch for those triggers. So, this hasn't been implemented. It's on the wish list along with Magic Resistance.

Cheers,
JPG

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 05:32
Ah. Well, maybe just having some fluff text that reminds the person that they have an advantage to saving roll in the combat tracker is good enough for now.

Edit: And did you forget a "no" between "There's" and "obvious"?

Dracius
February 20th, 2017, 18:04
It's really on the player to remember that their character has specific features and abilities. While it's nice that FG automates most of the process, neither FG nor the DM should be expected to remember and account for every character specific feature. If this were pen+paper there would be no expectation that something like Dwarven poison resistance would be automatically accounted for by the DM. It'd be up to the player to remember that they have such an ability and when the DM asks them to make a Save roll against being poisoned they say "I do so with advantage because of my Dwarven Resilience". It encourages players to actually know what their characters are capable of, instead of just expecting the DM to know every ability they have.

That being said, it would be great if keywords of "source" tags were included with save rolls, so that you could build effects around that data, but that request is already known and likely a big undertaking to accomplish. I would rather they invest that time on the unity client.

Trubo
February 20th, 2017, 19:16
Oh, I'm not saying that the DM should be responsible for that. I was just thinking it'd be nice as a player to make an effect for yourself that gives you advantage when your abilities say you have it, that way you don't forget about it. Until then, just an effect that is constantly on telling a dwarf player that they have advantage against poison is a nice reminder when looking at the combat tracker.

Tuendal
October 3rd, 2017, 22:51
Ok, so i'm trying to play around with some potions of hill giant str (and other things) and was curious as to if this was possible or not. So it looks like I can make the potion and if my characters Str is 15 put in the effect STR: 6 which should add up to 21 which is what the hill giant str potion grants. Is there a way it could put in STR: BASE + (21 - BASE) so that any str would be automatically modded to 21? I know it's not a huge hassle to change it, but then if you run into issues where the user forgets to change it if they level up and change their base str. Or would it be easier to just increase their Str bonus to +6 for which is what it would be if they had a str of 21? just playing with effects trying to get a better idea of how they work and how i can use them to my and my players benefit (or detriment as the case may be).

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2017, 23:00
There isn't a way to automate this or make it any easier than just add an effect of STR: 6 in your example. This is better than adding a bonus to the actual ability score becasue the potion only lasts an hour and you can therefore add the duration to the effect and it will count down on the CT (Convert the duration to rounds and put it on that way). I doubt that there will be a problem with the player needing to adjust STR before the potion runs out unless they drink it just before they level up.

Hamarion
October 9th, 2017, 06:07
Anyone have an idea on how to best handle the Rogue Reliable Talent ability that guarantees a minimum roll of 10 on trained skills?

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2017, 10:52
Anyone have an idea on how to best handle the Rogue Reliable Talent ability that guarantees a minimum roll of 10 on trained skills?

Just roll the dice and treat anything less that 10 as a 10. There's not automatic way to do this.

Yogel
November 12th, 2017, 16:47
Oh man, this post was a life saver.

Shimrath
January 20th, 2018, 07:54
Very cool thread. Great reference.

I saw two different spots in the thread where the whole "end of next turn" workaround came up. I'm surprised that this is an issue in the 5E ruleset when the 4E ruleset seems to deal with this sort of thing quite easily and accurately most of the time. If it's not too complicated to explain, why is this lacking in the 5E ruleset? Any plans to implement something similar to how the 4E ruleset handles it?

Thanks in advance,
Shimrath.

halfbent
January 25th, 2018, 23:57
Is there a way to make an effect for Defensive Flourish as a College of Swords Bard?

Defensive Flourish; DMG: +1d6; [ROLL]; AC: +1d6

It will add the damage correctly, but the buff clears after the damage roll and won't keep the AC. Not sure it is ever adding the AC to begin with.

Trenloe
January 26th, 2018, 00:10
Is there a way to make an effect for Defensive Flourish as a College of Swords Bard?

Defensive Flourish; DMG: +1d6; [ROLL]; AC: +1d6

It will add the damage correctly, but the buff clears after the damage roll and won't keep the AC. Not sure it is ever adding the AC to begin with.
Welcome to the forums!

Checking the 5E Effect Wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers We find that AC only accepts a number (N) not a dice.

halfbent
January 26th, 2018, 00:34
Ah okay! That's what I was thinking, resided to just tracking it manually since it only lasts until next turn anyway. Thanks for the response!

epithet
January 27th, 2018, 18:02
The bard in my group has several effects for the defensive flourish AC boost. He rolls the die, and dials up the modifier to the damage accordingly. Then he clicks the effect button(s) for the AC boost according to the die roll. I think he has AC: 1 through AC: 3, and if it is greater than 3 he'll add multiple effects. For a die roll of 5, for example, he would click the AC: 3 effect and the AC: 2 effect.

Old-DM
July 27th, 2018, 12:01
I do not seem to be able to figure out how to generate a specific effect. I want to allow PC’s to use a hero point to add +10 to their next roll. It then expires. The roll could be anything, an attack, damage, heal, initiative, save, skill roll etc. I know we can add 10 to the modifier box by the chat log but I would like something more “ elegant “. If someone could post the syntax I would greatly appreciate it.

damned
July 27th, 2018, 12:23
I do not seem to be able to figure out how to generate a specific effect. I want to allow PC’s to use a hero point to add +10 to their next roll. It then expires. The roll could be anything, an attack, damage, heal, initiative, save, skill roll etc. I know we can add 10 to the modifier box by the chat log but I would like something more “ elegant “. If someone could post the syntax I would greatly appreciate it.

Id modify the Hero Points extension directly.
You would add something like this to the code:

ModifierStack.addSlot("Hero Point", 10);

in the onDoubleClick (or whatever it is using) event....

damned
July 27th, 2018, 12:26
yeah that works...

the script in record_char.xml would look like this:

<script>
function onDoubleClick(x, y)
if getValue() > 0 then
local nodeWin = window.getDatabaseNode();
Debug.console("nodeWin: ", nodeWin);

local rActor = ActorManager.getActor("pc", window.getDatabaseNode());
Debug.console("rActor: ", rActor);

local sHeroDiceType = nodeWin.getChild("herodice").getValue();
Debug.console("sHeroDiceType: ", sHeroDiceType);

local sHeroName = nodeWin.getChild("pc_label_hero").getValue();
Debug.console("sHeroName: ", sHeroName);

local msg = {font = "msgfont", icon = "heropoints"};
msg.text = rActor.sName .. " is using " .. sHeroName;
Comm.throwDice( "dice", {sHeroDiceType}, 0, sHeroName .. " bonus" );
Comm.deliverChatMessage(msg);
ModifierStack.addSlot("Hero Point", 10);
setValue(getValue()-1);
end
return true;
end
</script>

Old-DM
July 27th, 2018, 13:37
Thank you giving me an answer so quickly master OB1 of Fantasy Grounds, but it is so far above my paygrade it makes my ears bleed. (No that is not the droids i am looking for) So basically I use notepad++ to open that xml file, add the line in purple exactly as typed and it works its magic. I had thought I could add a power (5e) to the players sheet and add an effect to do this task. I actually havent used the hero point extension per se. I will do this when I get back to my computer. Thank you damned, this is the second time you have rescued me.
Ps: Immortal Supreme Deity’s must not require much sleep. (Must code in dreams)

damned
July 28th, 2018, 00:11
Locate the Hero Points for 5e extension.
It is actually a ZIP file.
Unzip it into the Fantasy Frounds\extensions folder in its own subfolder like \HeroPoints5e
then you will find that file in the \campaign folder
Edit with Notepad++ or similar
Close FG and Open - when selecting your Campaign make sure you activate the Hero Points for 5e extension.

Zacchaeus
July 28th, 2018, 08:49
There isn't a way to use Hero points without the extension since hero points are not built into the ruleset. You could use preparation mode to control the number of points and for your particular requirement create an effect of ATK: 10; DMG: 10; CHECK:10; SAVE: 10 and set it to expire on next roll.

Old-DM
July 28th, 2018, 09:26
Damned, your awesome instructions worked perfectly (15 minutes to completion). I really appreciate the assistance. I would not have known how to do this without your help. Thanks from Old-Dm (approximately 44 years of continuous GM experience (chainmail (74-75), 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5 and pathfinder,4e (not long) and changed to 5e only because of FG. If I had eucalyptus leaves I would give you some.

ps: I can create effects myself (slowly), however buying Rob Twohy's coding mods from DM Guild was a great idea and a huge time saver. (if that helps anyone else)

Old-DM
July 28th, 2018, 17:57
Zacchaeus, I used damned’s method of modifying the Hero points for 5e extension and it worked great. I am going to try this as well ( maybe my players will find an amulet of heroic measure 3x per day or a book wth a new spell: Empowerment.) Thank you for the response, I am sure my players will appreciate new items found with that effect. Every time I read the forums it gives me ideas for effects for new things and better ways to automate it. The answers ( even older ones) also led me To port forwarding on my router and finally to Hamachi (works great).
Hail Zacchaeus, Hail Damned (you have convinced me that you are geniuses) I suppose I am in the market to buy that big bridge you have for sale in the city of Neverwinter ... or was it Waterdeep?

Old-DM
August 1st, 2018, 10:15
Okay I have set up a power on character sheet for each player (using Cantrips) called Cantrips Used. I am using the auto track power ext/mod. I want to set up effects to add 25 experience points each time the effect button is used (it actually counts down) and I get text on chat log saying (XP;25 or Experience; 25 or XP; add 25 etc. maybe 15 different ones) but the actual XP on sheet never changes. Obviously I have tried using different and many wrong syntax for the effect. What syntax do I need to use, for them to hit an effect button, to automatically add 25 experience points to their character sheet. Is this even possible? One of the guys we play with (maybe several) have issues with adding the right number of XP used each day from cantrips cast. Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
August 1st, 2018, 10:35
There is no effect which you can create to add experience points. XP is added via the party sheet or directly edited in the Party sheet or in the character sheet.

Old-DM
August 1st, 2018, 11:00
Thanks again for your help. (saved alot of frustration trying obviously useless syntax.
I watched your you-tube videos on creating backgrounds, classes and races. Great video's! Very helpful, but which are you Edinburgh or Glasgow? (Ehh.... about that drunkeness battle table... you must hang out with dwarves... right.)

ps I did use your effects for hero points effects syntax to create a ring and an amulet of Heroic Action, just waiting to be found by the Pc's in our next adventure. I'll make sure they know it was thanks to the Immortal Diety Zacchaeus. Who knows maybe they will build a shrine.

damned
August 1st, 2018, 12:36
You really should have a look at the Effects page to see what effects can effect...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Zacchaeus
August 1st, 2018, 12:49
I watched your you-tube videos on creating backgrounds, classes and races. Great video's! Very helpful, but which are you Edinburgh or Glasgow? (Ehh.... about that drunkeness battle table... you must hang out with dwarves... right.)

Actually neither; I'm originally from the Aberdeen area - and all Scotsmen are Dwarves. Or more precisely all Dwarves are Scotsmen; at least according to Hollywood :)

Booker Grimm
August 20th, 2018, 12:20
Hi,

I'm trying to add Chanel Divinity Oath of Enmity effect.

I have this so far, but it only adds it to melee (I want it to ranged as well). I'd also like it to be named as Oath Of Enmity in the CT, so my player knows what it is.

ADVATK; melee,ranged; GRANTADVATK: ALL; [SELF]

Gwydion
August 20th, 2018, 12:44
In the image you have a semicolon after “melee”. If u make it a comma I think it will work. You can also put Oath of Enmity; in front of the whole string so that it will show that way in the ct.

Booker Grimm
August 20th, 2018, 13:21
Thankyou.

Booker Grimm
August 24th, 2018, 09:34
One more quick one.

I have this effect protecting against TYPE, but want to add that it should protect against evil alignments also. I've tried adding ALIGNMENT(evil) but no luck. Can this be done - seems that Protection from Evil should protect you against that alignment?

Thanks in advance.

Zacchaeus
August 24th, 2018, 14:31
To test for alignment you need IFT: ALIGN (<alignment>) More information on the wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#A_Note_on_IF_and_IFT).

Edit: The spell as written protects against creature types rather than alignment.

Booker Grimm
August 24th, 2018, 14:57
Excellent. Thanks again.

JennyRB
September 8th, 2018, 23:13
TYVM this is very useful. Can you put in the meaning of the abbreviations in it so that if a DM decides to make there own skill, power, or spell. (It would be nice to look back if someone forgets the meanings)

rob2e
September 10th, 2018, 07:06
Did I ever see this? Funny. Nice.