PDA

View Full Version : Questions about NPC Portaits

markjlyon
December 9th, 2014, 05:25
How do you set the NPC portrait? I can't figure out a way to do it. I can only change their token image.

How do you get chat to display a portrait when the GM talks as an NPC? I can't figure out how to change the GM portrait or have it different for each speaking NPC.

I find lots of resources for making content, but nothing like adding NPC portraits or changing the GM chat icon (without replacing the image in the rule set). As a professional software developer I am sure I could understand any API or xml formatting documentation if I can just find it.

Is the problem that people wouldn't be able to tell (other than by name) PC's chat versus NPC's chat? Would the simple solution be to work exactly like smart phones work now: some chats are left to right, other chats are right to left? So keep the PC's chat and portraits like they are (left to right) but make all GM chat messages (with and without portraits) go from right to left? Does it make sense to have the GM talk as a different person but not LOOK like a different person?

I think it would add to the immersion if NPC's had their own portraits.

If this isn't currently possible, can it be added? Is they any way I could help add it?

Thanks,

M

Trenloe
December 9th, 2014, 14:02
This is currently an item on the FG wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=86318

The wishlist is the list that the FG devs use to track feature requests. The person who added that request to the wishlist is an active community member (Blackfoot) - he may have made some progress in coding this himself...

Nickademus
December 9th, 2014, 18:17
I thought there was an extension for this in the forum list...

Trenloe
December 9th, 2014, 18:54
I thought there was an extension for this in the forum list...
That was just to change the "GM" icon (a one time change). The OP is asking for a way to change the chat icon on a per NPC basis.

Nylanfs
December 9th, 2014, 19:00
Hmm, I wonder if you could link an image to a chat text box so that when you drop it into the text area the image is automatically shown to the players?

Trenloe
December 9th, 2014, 20:07
Hmm, I wonder if you could link an image to a chat text box so that when you drop it into the text area the image is automatically shown to the players?
The "icon" used in the chat message has to be a previously defined <icon> resource in the ruleset. i.e. it can't be a dynamic image or token. It might be possible to put some specific text at the beginning of a chat frame, <icon1>, <icon2>, etc. that could be parsed when added to the chat window and the relevant icon resource from the ruleset used. However, this would be a finite, predefined set of icons.

This could be done in an extension and if the GM was willing to manually edit the icon graphics files (icon1.png, icon2.png, etc.) then they could change them - but this is pretty fiddly and would need to be done outside of the game as the extension would need to be reloaded after any changes.