PDA

View Full Version : Using 3.0.9 Ultimate - Ran a small update - all data gone!

Koreapsu
December 7th, 2014, 02:58
New campaign starts in about four hours and I've been writing it for the past few months. Restarted my computer about 30 minutes ago and when I restarted FG I was prompted to install a small update then I clicked Load Campaign and there's nothing there.

Checked the AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds - modules/portaits/extensions/tokens are all intact, but in campaigns I can see the names of my old campaigns (and the current one) but all the folders inside the respective campaign folders are empty!

I've backed up after my last campaign finished, but not in the past few months so all my work is gone at this point.

Is this a known bug?

dulux-oz
December 7th, 2014, 03:17
Oh wow, sorry to hear that man :(

I've never had it happen to me, and I'm switching back and forth between Production and Test Modes all the time as I develop new Rulesets, Extensions, etc.

As a general computer trouble-shooting process, I'd run a global search of you hard drive for you specific Campaign folder, do a restore of your Trash Can, and then, if that doesn't help, hit the Net and grab a free file recovery app and run it (can't suggest a good one at the moment - haven't need to use one in a few years).

Good luck!

Nylanfs
December 7th, 2014, 04:20
I don't have any answers for you, but you have my sympathy. That truely sucks.

Koreapsu
December 7th, 2014, 04:48
Oh wow, sorry to hear that man :(

I've never had it happen to me, and I'm switching back and forth between Production and Test Modes all the time as I develop new Rulesets, Extensions, etc.

As a general computer trouble-shooting process, I'd run a global search of you hard drive for you specific Campaign folder, do a restore of your Trash Can, and then, if that doesn't help, hit the Net and grab a free file recovery app and run it (can't suggest a good one at the moment - haven't need to use one in a few years).

Good luck!

Yeah it's bizarre and incredibly frustrating.

Portraits I updated yesterday are there in the main portraits folder, but when I go into AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/Campaigns I can see the folders (for all campaigns), I can open them but the folders inside are all empty. No images or data at all.

Even A Tale in Dinor (all versions) is empty. Seems very suspect after running a small update that didn't seem to do anything.

Searched my computer for file names of images that are missing and they are just gone.

JohnD
December 7th, 2014, 05:34
Something is suspect. That small update was, I think, the portraits module.

damned
December 7th, 2014, 10:55
check you dont have something else going on like cryptolocker....

Mask_of_winter
December 7th, 2014, 11:11
Have you used a parser?

Koreapsu
December 7th, 2014, 18:54
No other issues with the computer and it'd be remarkable timing just seconds after an update.

I have used a parser recently.

Ran an undelete tool and found all the files in the folders and thought everything was great - sadly most are corrupt. Massive amount of work lost.

Griogre
December 7th, 2014, 19:18
Was it Par5e? If you don't set up your pathing correctly it can erase whole directories.

Koreapsu
December 7th, 2014, 19:58
Was it Par5e? If you don't set up your pathing correctly it can erase whole directories.

It was, but it wasn't directed at the FG folder in any way.

damned
December 9th, 2014, 02:26
If you use Par5e and do not specify a Temp directory it can (and probbaly will) delete lots of profile data.
I believe %AppData% is affected by this...

As much as Par5e is an amazing tool I think that this needs to be made safer...