PDA

View Full Version : New D&D 5e campaign.

cobblepotter
December 6th, 2014, 22:29
Thinking of running tyranny of dragons (Hoard of the dragon queen & Rise of tiamat).
I have nearly 18 years experience as a dungeon master. the only problem is i have little experience as a DM on fantasy grounds. So i'm looking mainly for players who can cut a Newbie some slack. ;)

Also, I live in the UK. So GMT time zones are preferable.(8:00ish). but I'm willing to compromise ans hour or 2 either way. I'm free to DM most evening other than Tuesdays.

I'm not setting anything in stone yet. I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there would be.

DMJ. ;)

VenomousFiligree
December 7th, 2014, 07:57
How are you planning on running IC, text or voice?

cobblepotter
December 7th, 2014, 18:29
Voice. Due to my DMing style i require the use of my voice. I understand that some people cant use voice chat programs for various reasons. But due to my preferred style. it'll be using a chat program such as team-speak or vent.

Ellspeth
December 7th, 2014, 18:42
I am in the eastern USA and currently play with a group in the UK, your evening is simply an afternoon game for me, possible depending on the day of the week. I am keeping an eye out for a D&D 5e, I have the PHB, but just haven't really found a game at a time that worked for me that wasn't already full.

cobblepotter
December 7th, 2014, 18:52
Thats great ellspeth. Once i get a time and day settled. if the time is good for you. You'd be welcome to join.

I seem to be getting a lot of interest thus far. With a little luck I may be able to get started in the next week or so.

Emerald_wind
December 7th, 2014, 21:30
Have you settled on a day yet, time could work for me if you play on the weekend.
Either way, I wish you all the best, and don't worry about being a newbie DMing in FG, it isn't all THAT different. (ok, maybe a little, but you'll catch on quickly).

Fixit9660
December 7th, 2014, 21:42
Hi,
I'm in the UK and free Thursday nights usually. Current drawbacks:
As Christmas is approaching I'm committed to something else until 28th December.
I'm a complete newb at FG, like you.
Normal availability and details as per signature.
Hope you can fit me in.
Andy, a.k.a. fixit9660.

Ellspeth
December 8th, 2014, 00:59
Do keep me in mind Cobblepotter, the only day truly impossible for me is Wednesdays, that is the day I play with the group in the UK already. As far as a newbie goes, I have played RPG and Fantasy grounds the exact same amount of time, just under one year.

cobblepotter
December 8th, 2014, 17:36
OK guys and girls. Its seems the most asked question is time and dates.
I'm going to talk to a couple of players who are definitely playing in this game and see whats gonna work best for both of them. So it'll likely be either later today or tomorrow before i have a set time and date.

In meantime. I'm going to put them game on the game calendar.

Ellspeth
December 8th, 2014, 18:14
i took the liberty of reserving a spot, i can withdraw if the times prove impossible, i hope you don't mind

xazil
December 9th, 2014, 00:58
I've put in a application as well. Have played through DnD since BECMI/1st Ed to the Next Playtests onto 5th.

I'm in Australia which means that UK evenings are my mornings, so if you decide to play on Friday or Saturday nights I should be able to join in.

Victor
December 9th, 2014, 01:32
I am a buddy of Xazil's and I would like to join this campaign if the times work out.
The 8pm GMT works fine for me (in California), the best days would be Friday or Saturday. I will apply on the calendar to get a slot, but give it up in plenty of time once we know when and who can play.

(EDIT) I am currently playing at 8pm GMT on Friday the 12th and Friday the 19th. Xazil is also in the game on the 19th.

cobblepotter
December 10th, 2014, 16:26
Ok guys. I've settled for Friday. 8PM UK time. to all those who cant make Friday's i apologize in advance.
My two regular players cant make it this week though. So it may have to wait till next week before we get started. But as its so close to Christmas I'd be willing to put the game back till after Christmas. But i'll leave that up to you guys.
In the meantime. As I've had such a good response in regards to player numbers. I'm going to whittle the numbers down a little. for those who are still interested in playing in the campaign. Can you please PM character concepts and back story's. Doesn't have to be a novel. but something i can work with as a DM. I'm going to put a limit of 6 players in place and I'll make my choices based on your response.

Ellspeth
December 10th, 2014, 17:20
I appreciate the consideration, but since you have plenty of players, while the time isn't impossible it gives me two days a week with back to back games on weekdays, that is difficult. I have withdrawn my application, you guys have fun, I'll keep an eye out for something evenings or weekend days in my time zone. Have fun.

cobblepotter
December 10th, 2014, 18:54
Sorry pal

Ellspeth
December 10th, 2014, 19:29
No worries I wish you all well and good times, no one can accomodate everyone.

cobblepotter
December 10th, 2014, 21:00
Sorry guys. It seems in trying to get a good day for everyone else. I'd forgotten about myself.
The games will be run on Saturdays. I completely forgot Fridays are a No go for me.

saturdays. 8PM GMT. . . that final. lol

Victor
December 12th, 2014, 12:32
Saturdays work out fine for me.
Do you want to use a point buy system or roll for stats, and how much starting gp, if any? :)
I will start making up a character on Fantasy Grounds, I have not done a 5e with it yet.
Any plans for a start date?

cobblepotter
December 13th, 2014, 13:59
point buy. although D&D5th edition. isn't exactly point buy. You have predetermined numbers that you may spend as you will.
As for a start date. I'm gonna say the 27th. although as its so close to Christmas it may get pushed back to the 3rd of January. I'll be free the evening of the 27th. but I know it may be a problem for some people. So depending what everyone wants to do I may run a little "getting to know you" session for the players who are free on the 27th.

cobblepotter
December 13th, 2014, 14:07
quick note. if you wish to roll for your attributes, you can do that. But you'll have to do it in FG with me. If you'd prefer to do it that way just PM me, and i'll arrange a character making session.

Victor
December 14th, 2014, 05:12
5e has 3 methods. Predetermined stats you assign, Rolling for stats, or 27pt point buy, with no stat higher than 15 or lower than 8, before the racial adjustments.

The point buy system prevents anyone from having a +4 to start and I am pretty sure will not allow anyone to hit 20 (+5) at level 4. While this drive me nuts cause I like to be super buff right off. it makes sense and keeps the game fairly balanced.
Rolling for stats can put one player well above or below the rest, and I am not at all sure it's the best way to go, altho I prefer it myself, because I think I will roll Epic stats.

Victor
December 14th, 2014, 06:29
For rolling stats it may be easier for you to set up a quick Roll20 blank campaign and invite us. We would not have to set up a character, but could log in and roll dice. The chat window will keep the log of what we roll, but you should be there anyhow to oversee our official rolls.
Just a thought, if this is easier for you. Otherwise, yea, I would like to set up a time to roll stats. Anytime soon works for me. I just:
Hung up a horseshoe
Found a four-leafed clover
Found a face up penny
Got the large half of a wishbone
Blew out my Birthday candles
Wished on a shooting star
Saw the 'first star I see tonight'
Found a dollar in the pocket of a new coat
Had a bird poop on my shoulder

Now quick, before a black cat comes along....

:)

Send you my email in a PM in case you want to invite me to a Roll20 campaign

cobblepotter
December 14th, 2014, 21:19
Victor i sent you the invite over on roll 20 if you want to roll up your stats.

texaspoet
December 15th, 2014, 06:36
Are you full up? Are you running every Saturday?

cobblepotter
December 17th, 2014, 00:31
Were full now buddy. sorry. i'll keep you in mind though we we need more players.

cobblepotter
December 21st, 2014, 13:40
Date has been confirmed for the 3rd on January.

Rivver
January 14th, 2015, 07:32
Spoke to cobblepotter last night and it's unlikely the game will be on this weekend but he said he'd update on the message board when he has more info. I am assuming that it won't happen.

Isamill
January 14th, 2015, 11:19
If there is any spots available or someone pulls out for this game (I see that you are probably pretty full up - but it's always worth a crack lol), I'd most certainly be keen as this is one of the few game times that suits me perfectly (being in Oz), although never tried 5E I have pretty much every other edition of DnD and wouldn't mind giving that one a go
If full don't worry (well maybe a little bit), you guys have a great time

Victor
January 14th, 2015, 20:16
Ok, Well to not keep others up in the air, Xazil and I are signed up for a PFS game Saturday at that time. I will confirm that I am playing in that game and this one will be at least a week away still.

cobblepotter
January 14th, 2015, 21:12
Sorry I've been away for a while and the lack of updates. I'm going to have to call the game off. or at least till I've gotten some things sorted out at my end. I don't mean to be vague. but its a private matter. I cant commit to a game and let players down by not running a regular game. I think I'm going to be running one shot games for a while till things get a little more stable.
Thank you for your patience and I apologize if I've wasted anyone's time.

xazil
January 14th, 2015, 22:51
No problem cobblepotter. Hopefully things work themselves out for you. I'd be happy if you gave me PM if you do consider picking this up again as I am interested. Currently Victor and myself are playing PFS on an adhoc basis around this time slot, but for a continuing campaign we would be happy to move over.

Victor
January 15th, 2015, 00:40
No worries, I hope it all works out for you. Xazil and I have been playing PFS games on Saturdays, so you have not inconvenienced us.
Good luck