PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker and (long) Effects

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2014, 18:25
New to Fantasy Grounds, so apologies if this has been covered somewhere else; but I've been unable to find anything on the subject.

I've set up a Wizard with the spell Mage Armour, which has a duration of 8 hours. As we all know this effectively adds 3 to the characters AC for the duration of the spell. Once I have dragged the effect into the Combat Tracker (from the actions tab of the character's sheet) the AC increase applies correctly and I'm happy with that. However the Combat Tracker doesn't seem to recognise that this effect has an expiration and so when the party takes a long rest (or several in a row), Mage Armour persists. If I set the number of rounds to 2,820 (6secsx10x60x8) the counter correctly counts down the rounds as progress is made during an encounter. However when the party takes any kind of rest the effect is cleared from the character which, for a short rest, is undesirable (unless of course such a rest would actually tip the time to more than a cumulative 8 hours).

So, my questions is, does the Combat Tracker track effects which persist beyond a few rounds? If so I must be doing something wrong in my set up of the spell and I'd appreciate any input on this. Just incidentally I followed Jason Hibdon's rather superb video on character set up and it appears to me that the way he set up this spell mirrors what I have done.

Griogre
December 6th, 2014, 21:57
The combat tracker only updates effects when the round number changes. Most DM's will only advance rounds in combat. With a spell like Mage Armor you are probably best setting it to expire on rests so you can evaluate how long the spell will be up each time.

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2014, 22:48
Ah, right, I thought that was the case. Jolly good, and thanks for the reply.

Xorn
December 7th, 2014, 03:18
Clear expiring effects affects anything measured in rounds or minutes. I just manually clear Mage Armor after a long rest, myself. It would be interesting if a long rest expired anything measured in hours, but that's not the case, for now.

rob2e
September 14th, 2016, 20:51
Has this info changed. As of now, do "hour" and "day" effects need to be removed manually still?

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2016, 22:23
Gosh, this is an old thread :)

Yes, anything which is timed at 1 hour or above will not expire on any kind of rest whether long or short. Even clearing expiring effects won't affect anything that isn't in rounds or minutes.
With the wisdom of almost 2 years since the initial post I don't really bother with things like Mage Armour anymore since the Wizard will likely have it on permanently, and there aren't too many effects which last beyond a few minutes.

Nickademus
September 14th, 2016, 22:58
I read this:
New to Fantasy Grounds, so apologies if this has been covered somewhere else; but...
... and I thought we were being trolled. Then I saw the date of the post and was like, 'Really? He's only been around a couple years?' You're a faster learner, sir.

On topic, if this was really a problem, it should be able to easily be fixed with a small extension.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2016, 23:20
I read this:
... and I thought we were being trolled. Then I saw the date of the post and was like, 'Really? He's only been around a couple years?'

Certainly very close to my first post I think :)

rob2e
September 15th, 2016, 06:34
Cool/ WOULD be nice if all effects times worked.