PDA

View Full Version : More connection issues/advice/ESET antivirus

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2014, 13:45
Since I'm new to FG and since I had some considerable difficulty in connecting up my group I thought I might share what we eventually had to do. This may simply be unique to me but possibly not.

First off I'm all wireless here so my problems might have been related to that in some way. However I don't think it can simply be that. Anyway once I had FG installed (via Steam btw although this should make no difference), I used the "Test" button on the start up screen and it failed. I think I then did a Google search which led me to the need for port 1802 to be open. This further led me to a site which explained how I could do this for my router (although the instructions on that site were not particularly extensive I have to say). At any rate I eventually figured out what I had to do and managed to set up a couple of rules to open port 1802 for both incoming and outgoing traffic. When I then used the test button I got a green light. All was joy - for a while.

I assumed at this point that this was all I had to do but unfortunately it wasn't. When one of my players tried to join they could not find my server. So we then spent a while figuring out how to open ports on his router firewall. Naturally his was different from mine and it took us some time to figure it out. Eventually we did and he, too, got a green light when he used his test server button. Great, we thought, result. Unfortunately, no, he still couldn't connect. We then tried connection with our virus protection disabled (we are both using ESET), but to no avail.

At this point I began browsing the forums here and came upon the first Sticky up above relating to Hamachi. This turned out to be super frustrating and after a couple of hours of further trials we gave up for the night. The following day I came back to these forums and (did what I probably should have done in the first place) read the FAQ. There it told me that I should use the site https://canyouseeme.org to check whether port 1802 was open and visible to the internet. This test failed. So this puzzled me somewhat since the test button on the FG load screen was coming back green. I concluded therefore that the test button is not enough to confirm that all is well.

I tried various things like disabling ESET and firewalls but to no avail. Finally I discovered that I could set firewall rules within ESET. I'm not going to go into that process here but suffice to say that after some experimenting and further research I managed to let ESET know that FG was a program that I trusted sufficiently to allow two way communication. Once I had set up the relevant rules canyouseeme finally confirmed that port 1802 was actually open. Again I thought that this was it but, no, it wasn't; my players still couldn't connect. Long story short they, too, had to set up a rule within their firewall through ESET. Finally after all that, and a couple of very frustrating days my players could connect.

So the lessons from all of this are;
1. A green light from the 'Test' button is not the end of the story. I suspect that this only tests outgoing traffic.
2. If, like me, you are behind more than 1 firewall you have to make sure ports are open in all of them. (Obvious, you might say, and in hindsight it is. In my defence however, I had tried to connect with my Firewall disabled without success - so I had dismissed this as a problem. Clearly even though I had disable ESET it was still, somehow, blocking traffic). Most of the advice I read concentrated on the Firewall built into the router. However all of the advice applies equally to the Firewall within Windows or that comes with your Anti-virus software.
3. The best thread on this topic is in the FAQ; and the canyouseeme utility is an excellent place to start.
4. Despite what I have read elsewhere both DM and players need to configure everything.
5. My experience with Hamachi was not good; it didn't work for us at all, and to be perfectly frank I didn't like what it seemed to be doing to my computer.

Now, I have to say that it is possible that my problem stemmed mainly from ESET or some other peculiarity of my set up, so the above may not be a universal solution. Hopefully, however, this may be of some use to someone out there.

Happy Gaming.

ddavison
December 6th, 2014, 19:01
The host is the only person who needs to open or configure port 1802. The test feature ensures that you can connect to our server for the alias and that the port is configured properly on your system. Most local firewalls in Windows that I have assisted people with have an option to allow a program to be trusted and this essentially lets it communicate freely across all ports. I'm not personally familiar with ESET though, so thank you for sharing what finally worked for you. If anyone else uses ESET, please share your thoughts as well so that we can figure out what the minimum steps necessary are for getting it running behind that specific setup.

Blacky
December 11th, 2014, 15:44
Players shouldn't need to open anything.

As a GM, you need not to block TCP 1802, and have it routed the appropriate way. It's not something FG specific, and the process of routing a port should be explained in your router manual (if you have a router, if not just the port opened on any device or software between FG and the internet is enough).

Unless things changed recently, the Test connection tool should be enough. It ping an external source (the FG website server), which simulate a connection on your FG.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2014, 16:03
Players shouldn't need to open anything.

As a GM, you need not to block TCP 1802, and have it routed the appropriate way. It's not something FG specific, and the process of routing a port should be explained in your router manual (if you have a router, if not just the port opened on any device or software between FG and the internet is enough).

Unless things changed recently, the Test connection tool should be enough. It ping an external source (the FG website server), which simulate a connection on your FG.

As regards your first sentence I think this is, in fact, correct and my post above is in error on this point. I can say unequivocally though that, for me at least, the test button didn't work. It was lighting up green, only after I had configured my router but Port 1802 was still invisible to CanYouSeeMe.org and my players were unable to connect. It was only when I configured my anti-virus software that they were finally able to connect. Having had a few more days to consider things I think the problem lies with ESET. I seem to remember similar kinds of issues trying to get Origin (spits on the floor) to work. Even with ESET disabled it still refused to allow any kind of connection. I can't remember the exact reason why ESET still blocked any traffic but until it was forced to create a specific rule nothing could connect to me, nor could CanYouSeeMe.org see my port even though the test button was lighting up green.

At the end of the day I think it's just my system that was the problem and probably not a general one. Thanks for the feedback though, and just maybe this will help someone else out there.

damned
December 11th, 2014, 22:34
Hi Zacchaeus - i am glad you got it working. It is unfortunate that so many hoops need to be jumped through sometimes.
Having the GM be the central Server is both a positive and a negative.

Its a positive in that all the data always stays with you on your machine.
Its a positive in that it doesnt cause more recurring costs for Smiteworks which would be passed on to us.

Its a negative in that it is difficult for many people and it probably results in quite some number of people not buying the software...

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2014, 21:01
Hi Zacchaeus -

Its a negative in that it is difficult for many people and it probably results in quite some number of people not buying the software...

Gosh, I hope not, since it is a marvellous bit of software. I actually didn't give connection issues a single thought before I bought the four copies of the software for me and my gaming group. :)
These days connection issues are pretty rare and because of that it is perhaps more frustrating when they do occur and maybe also folk don't really know how to go about sorting the issue. On the upside at least nowadays we don't have to write .bat files in order to get anything at all to run. And yes, I am old enough to remember those days :)

damned
December 13th, 2014, 00:09
if people are having issues and they have tried a few steps - please do post here and we will help!