PDA

View Full Version : Call For Graphics Volunteers

dulux-oz
December 6th, 2014, 05:28
Hi Guys & Gals,

If you've been on these boards for a while you've probably come across me mentioning that my Graphics work *SUX* - its one of the many things I can't do or can't do well. In the past Zeus has been kind enough to help me out, but as he's busy as a FG Developer I can't keep expecting him to help (although I do keep asking :o - and I just want to say again: thankyou a whole big heap, Zeus!).

Since I recently managed to get hold of most of the CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets I've noticed that, while the functionality of my Extensions works perfectly, under some Rulesets they look awful! (The 5E DnD Ruleset, for example.)

What I'd like to do is either produce some dependant-Extensions which change the Graphics of my existing Extensions to be more Ruleset appropriate, or, more likely, update my existing Extensions to detect which Ruleset they are running under and use the appropriate Ruleset specific graphics. Either way I can code for this AOK.

What I can't do is produce the Graphics.

So, if people would like help out themselves, their fellow Ruleset Users and I by putting together some Ruleset-appropriate Graphics for their favourite CoreRPG-Derived Ruleset - or for any CoreRPG-Derived Ruleset, for that matter - I would be very, very grateful! Think of it as paying something back to the community :) Any Graphics used will, of course, be appropriately acknowledged and copyrighted in any Extension they are released in.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Blacky
December 7th, 2014, 04:42
It's always possible, but the thing is if an Extension needs to be graphically tailored for each ruleset, we are going very fast straight into abyss. Not to mention that a new “skin” is probably the first (and a lot of times only) work done by a GM as an Extension. When you add localization extension (including graphics wherever graphics have text or locale specific metaphor), the number of extensions needed grow geometrically.

Wouldn't it possible to reuse a current graphic from whatever ruleset is used, meaning it will automatically use something in the correct style?

dulux-oz
December 7th, 2014, 05:35
It's always possible, but the thing is if an Extension needs to be graphically tailored for each ruleset, we are going very fast straight into abyss. Not to mention that a new “skin” is probably the first (and a lot of times only) work done by a GM as an Extension. When you add localization extension (including graphics wherever graphics have text or locale specific metaphor), the number of extensions needed grow geometrically.

Wouldn't it possible to reuse a current graphic from whatever ruleset is used, meaning it will automatically use something in the correct style?

Yeah, we already do this for the majority of graphics, but your suggestion (thankyou) still leads to the issue of multiple rulesets versions, etc - plus (for eg) using an existing Menubar Button for my Locations Extension ie two "Notes" buttons?

The number of CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets is relatively small, the code to do this is relatively simply, all I need are the graphics files - by my estimation, We're looking at maybe 3-5 files per Ruleset per "average" Extension (my Locations Extension being the biggest at approx. 10 files) - and I don't have to worry about 3.5E, 4E or PF (already done) -AND I suspect that we'll find we can re-use some graphics from Ruleset to Ruleset.

Hence me asking for a few volunteers...

Cheers

Oberoten
December 7th, 2014, 22:05
Which extensions are we talking about? I certainly wouldn't mind chipping in a bit.

- Obe

Ikael
December 7th, 2014, 23:04
Yeah, we already do this for the majority of graphics, but your suggestion (thankyou) still leads to the issue of multiple rulesets versions, etc - plus (for eg) using an existing Menubar Button for my Locations Extension ie two "Notes" buttons?

The number of CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets is relatively small, the code to do this is relatively simply, all I need are the graphics files - by my estimation, We're looking at maybe 3-5 files per Ruleset per "average" Extension (my Locations Extension being the biggest at approx. 10 files) - and I don't have to worry about 3.5E, 4E or PF (already done) -AND I suspect that we'll find we can re-use some graphics from Ruleset to Ruleset.

Hence me asking for a few volunteers...

Cheers

Actually I agree with Blacky that with this approach workload is much more than that of you want support all rulesets. For instance you are lacking the fact that some rulesets like SW have several commerical theme/skin extensions. Just by supporting the ruleset will leave several look-and-feels unpolished. However the is no simple solution for this except do it for all of them. I have struggled long time how to make the best use of graphics from ruleset to another. For instance when SW was converted into CoreRPG layered the are still some graphics that are not fully compatible because of different window/style. Personally I would love to see/have old d20 times back when you could take any graphics from almost any other ruleset and use them in your own ruleset and it would work just fine. Instead of this I can find several annoying graphical glitches which does not make it unusable but still...

dulux-oz
December 8th, 2014, 03:11
Which extensions are we talking about? I certainly wouldn't mind chipping in a bit.

- Obe

At the moment I'd like to cover my Locations and Weather Extensions. In the near future I've got another Extension or two coming out for CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets, so I'd like to get them done as well, but for now the two I've mentioned by name are the "priority?"

They both look OK under 3.5E, 4E, PF, & Fate Core
The Weather Extension needs a slight tweak under Numenera
The Locations Extension needs a slight tweak under d20Modern
They could use some work under 5E, C&C, & CC.
They'll both probably need some work under the CoreRPG-Derived version of Savage Worlds'(when it's released).

I haven't checked any other Rulesets.

So if you're interested in helping out with any of these I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

dulux-oz
December 8th, 2014, 03:19
Actually I agree with Blacky that with this approach workload is much more than that of you want support all rulesets. For instance you are lacking the fact that some rulesets like SW have several commerical theme/skin extensions. Just by supporting the ruleset will leave several look-and-feels unpolished. However the is no simple solution for this except do it for all of them. I have struggled long time how to make the best use of graphics from ruleset to another. For instance when SW was converted into CoreRPG layered the are still some graphics that are not fully compatible because of different window/style. Personally I would love to see/have old d20 times back when you could take any graphics from almost any other ruleset and use them in your own ruleset and it would work just fine. Instead of this I can find several annoying graphical glitches which does not make it unusable but still...

That's the price I'm willing(?) to pay for being a perfectionist (or, as my ex-wife used to say: anal!). I can't do anything about Commercial Skins, etc - but what I can do is get the basic look-and-feel for the various CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets right (with a little help from my friends) - yes, its a big job, but just because something is big or hard doesn't mean we shouldn't have a crack at it :)

Most of the Graphics issues I'm seeing with my Extensions and the various Rulesets are minor "style" type issues (there are one of two exceptions that will require a bit more complex coding) - so a new graphic in the Ruleset "style' should fix the issue. For the others, well...

Cheers

Oberoten
December 8th, 2014, 20:45
At the moment I'd like to cover my Locations and Weather Extensions. In the near future I've got another Extension or two coming out for CoreRPG-Derived Rulesets, so I'd like to get them done as well, but for now the two I've mentioned by name are the "priority?"

They both look OK under 3.5E, 4E, PF, & Fate Core
The Weather Extension needs a slight tweak under Numenera
The Locations Extension needs a slight tweak under d20Modern
They could use some work under 5E, C&C, & CC.
They'll both probably need some work under the CoreRPG-Derived version of Savage Worlds'(when it's released).

I haven't checked any other Rulesets.

So if you're interested in helping out with any of these I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Sure, give me a link with the icons you use now and I'll see what I can render up and even send in one for Arm as well. My graphics work is a lot better than my coding these days.

- Obe

jasonthelamb
December 9th, 2014, 03:13
I have no problem helping out, too - if it's needed... just point me in a direction (artistic direction) :P

dulux-oz
December 9th, 2014, 04:16
PMs sent to Jason & Obe :)

Thanks Guys

dr_venture
December 9th, 2014, 21:09
I've already done the basic buttons to fit with the C&C default skin - I'm happy to share if you'd like them.

dr_venture
December 10th, 2014, 02:34
I can't PM you images, so here's what I have for the Weather ext. -- again, matched to the default C&C ruleset, which I also did the graphics for, so I'm using the same templates to create the images where possible. I also did the text for the tabs to match the ruleset more closely - do you want those too?

If these look OK to you, I'll do all the icons for the Locations Ext. and zip them for you -- I believe I have your email address, so I'll just email them if you'd like. Be advised that the ribbon looks a tad grainy, as the resolution of the image is much larger than it appears in the UI - it looks fine when viewed in FG.

dulux-oz
December 10th, 2014, 05:39
I can't PM you images,

I meant email them to me, please.

so here's what I have for the Weather ext. -- again, matched to the default C&C ruleset, which I also did the graphics for, so I'm using the same templates to create the images where possible. I also did the text for the tabs to match the ruleset more closely - do you want those too?

Yes, please

If these look OK to you, I'll do all the icons for the Locations Ext. and zip them for you -- I believe I have your email address, so I'll just email them if you'd like. Be advised that the ribbon looks a tad grainy, as the resolution of the image is much larger than it appears in the UI - it looks fine when viewed in FG.

Kewl, yes, they look good.

Yes, please email me the lot (Locations & Weather) - I can then mark off C&C Default - thanks Dr V (BTW, don't worry, I'm still working on that other stuff I mentioned :) )

Cheers

Tailz Silver Paws
December 23rd, 2014, 03:55
I started to build a graphical UI for FG a while ago. I might be able to help a bit....

dulux-oz
December 24th, 2014, 11:05
I started to build a graphical UI for FG a while ago. I might be able to help a bit....

All offers greatly appreciated - PM me with what you'd like to work on and I'll let you know what we've got covered already

And thanks

Cheers

Tailz Silver Paws
January 6th, 2015, 00:18
What sort of thing are you looking for? or need?

dulux-oz
January 6th, 2015, 02:18
What sort of thing are you looking for? or need?

Basically I'm after help with turning the current CoreRPG/3.5E/Pathfinder Graphics of my Locations and Weather Extensions (and soon to be released WMC and Organisations Extensions) into ones more in "style" with the other CoreRPG-derived Ruleset.

Post #6 of this thread has the specifics - with a note that C&C is covered by Dr.V. and we don't have to worry about that Ruleset (thanks again Dr.V.). Jasonthelamb and Oberoten have also oferent to help but I haven't heard back from them yet (Christmas and all) so I'm not sure which Ruleset(s) they're working on.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the original Graphics files fro the Ruleset(s) you're interested in so you can see what we still need.

Cheers

dulux-oz
April 29th, 2015, 07:48
Hi Everyone,

First, let me thank Dr_Venture once again for all of the help in getting my Extensions' graphics "C&C-ready" - I really, really appreciate the past, present and on-going help in this regard. I'd also like to once again publicly thank Zeus for the graphics he has provided to me in the past - again, thankyou!

Next, to those Community Members who offered to help in the past - I'd like to thank you as well. I haven't heard back from some of you in a while so if you're still willing and able to help out I'd love to hear from you; if you can't, then that's OK too, I understand how life can get in the way of our hobby :)

Finally, to everyone else in the Community, new or old, I'd like to ask for your help. As I've said before in this thread I need some graphics from my Extensions "ported" over to the relevant style for a given set of Rulesets. This is so that the Extension "looks good" when using it with the Rulesets it works for. With all of the new people coming to FG with the 5E licensing deal this is a perfect time to get these Extensions of mine "looking right" - especially as its the 5E Ruleset that the Extensions need the most graphics work with.

So what do I need (Part 1)?

For 4E D&D
I need the graphics in the 4E_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the 4E Ruleset in the 4E_Samples.zip file.

For 5E D&D
I need the graphics in the 5E_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the 5E Ruleset in the 5E_Samples.zip file.

Continued in Part 2

dulux-oz
April 29th, 2015, 07:50
Continued from Part 1

So what do I need (Part 2)?

Call of Cthulhu
I need the graphics in the CoC_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the CoC Ruleset in the CoC_Samples.zip file.

For d20 Modern
I need the graphics in the d20_Modern_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the d20 Modern Ruleset in the d20_Modern_Samples.zip file.

Continued in Part 3

dulux-oz
April 29th, 2015, 07:52
Continued from Part 2

So what do I need (Part 3)?

For Numenera
I need the graphics in the Numenera_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the Numenera Ruleset in the Numenera_Samples.zip file.

For Savage Worlds
I need the graphics in the SW_Required.zip file converted.

I've included some examples of existing graphics from the SW Ruleset in the SW_Samples.zip file.

I also included in the "Required.zip" files three base images I used to make three sets of Small Menubar Buttons - you'll see when you open the zips :).

If you'd like more information or want to send me your graphics, you can do so by emailing me at [email protected].

As I've said previously, full copyright acknowledgement will be given to the creators for any graphics used in my Extensions.

I write my Extensions to help out my fellow FGers, but I need you help and feedback to do so. If you use one of my Extensions for a Ruleset not listed and you think the graphics cold be "improved", please drop me a line so I can add your favorite Ruleset in to my list. Of course, if you want to do the graphics as well then please do so. :)

As a final note: please do not run any of your graphics through a "compression" utility (such as scriptpng - I need the files in their raw, uncompressed form. I compress all my images in my Extensions when I release them, but for now I need them "uncompressed".

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Cheers