PDA

View Full Version : Brief Server Update

ddavison
December 6th, 2014, 03:40
You may see a note or warning about SSL for the next 10 minutes or so.

ddavison
December 6th, 2014, 04:25
Okay, that didn't roll over smoothly. I may postpone another attempt for a Monday or Tuesday morning when traffic is expected to be lower.

Redemption77
December 6th, 2014, 05:06
Is this the reason there is a sudden issue with me being able to establish connection? Ive had no issues recently and now suddenly tonight I cant establish connection and my players are unable to create their own campaigns and establish connection

ddavison
December 6th, 2014, 05:13
Redemption77, please have your players try it again now. Our seamless server switch wasn't seamless, so we've rolled back for now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Redemption77
December 6th, 2014, 05:20
I just tested the connection myself DD and I got a failure as did my player. Which is odd as my ports are open and its been successful for as long as I can remember. We've had no connection issues at all. Also I understand how tech things dont go as planned

ddavison
December 6th, 2014, 05:23
We've been playing around with DNS settings, so you might be in the middle of a change to the new one or the old one. If you open a command prompt (Start | Run | cmd) and run an nslookup www.fantasygrounds.com a few times, you should hopefully start seeing an IP address beginning with 74. If you do, try again and see if it has better luck.

Redemption77
December 6th, 2014, 05:31
Ok excellent. Mine tested successful. Now to see if my players have some decent luck. Appreciate you answering the question so quickly

Blacky
December 15th, 2014, 13:51
Another downtime a few hours ago.

ddavison
December 15th, 2014, 14:09
Yes, I had rolled back the server switch-over due to configuration issues a week or so ago. I will have to re-focus on getting our DDoS mitigation services put in place today and tomorrow.

ddavison
December 15th, 2014, 20:23
I may be changing the server over today or tomorrow. If you have any difficulty connecting, please email [email protected] or wait and try it again in 20-30 minutes.

-Doug

ddavison
December 15th, 2014, 22:19
The new DNS changes have been implemented. The changes may take some time to propagate, so please contact us at [email protected] if you have any issues. Alternately, you can message us via our facebook and Google + pages.

Redemption77
December 15th, 2014, 23:23
Should I go through all the steps you suggested last time as none of us can access the server just yet and its been an hour. Not sure how long this process takes. Sorry to be asking dummy technical questions

Zeus
December 16th, 2014, 00:06
Should I go through all the steps you suggested last time as none of us can access the server just yet and its been an hour. Not sure how long this process takes. Sorry to be asking dummy technical questions

Doug has implemented the changes but as DNS changes propagate slowly across the internet there maybe a short delay for some users. We have confirmed the changes have propagated to Google's public DNS server (8.8.8.8) so the change propagation has started.

Jacklifear
December 16th, 2014, 03:08
Doug has implemented the changes but as DNS changes propagate slowly across the internet there maybe a short delay for some users. We have confirmed the changes have propagated to Google's public DNS server (8.8.8.8) so the change propagation has started.
I have a show that's using this as a cornerstone that may have hundreds of people watching... Is there a workaround at this time or a status update?

damned
December 16th, 2014, 03:20
Hi Jack - are you still having an issue?
reply back ASAP.

Jacklifear
December 16th, 2014, 03:34
Hi Jack - are you still having an issue?
reply back ASAP.Some people are now able to connect, others are having issues. All people involved were perfect yesterday.

Error found on those who can't:
"Network error during host license check."

I own Ultimate Edition
They are using Demos from website
Checkbox for "Use Steam" is unchecked and checked in different attemtpts (in settings)

ddavison
December 16th, 2014, 04:03
Can those users access our website or do they get a blank page? If they get a blank page, they may be able to change their DNS to point to Google in the interim as a work-around (or as a permanent upgrade).

Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center | Click on Connection name and then Properties.

Highlight TCP/IP and choose Properties.

Change the 2nd set of options from Obtain DNS Server address automatically to "Use the following DNS Server addresses:"
Enter preferred of 8.8.8.8
Enter Alternate as 8.8.4.4

Hit Ok to save the changes and test the connection to the website and then try to connect to your game again.

damned
December 16th, 2014, 05:01
sorry Jack - i unfortunately got sidetracked and missed your quick reply.
as Doug says some DNS servers were ignoring NS TTL settings and serving outdated ip info.

Dougs suggestion should work but likewise your ISP or DNS provider should update *very soon*.

El Condoro
December 16th, 2014, 08:36
Is it right that FG will not allow the 'Start' button to open a campaign if the server is not contactable? I have had this issue the last couple of days and whenever I can't access the forums, I can't access my campaigns. I thought FG would run fully locally. (Sorry if this is not the best thread to ask on, too)

damned
December 16th, 2014, 10:53
El Condoro - 2 things to try.
1. Dont use the Start button. Double click the campaign name.
2. Wait... approx 2mins....

HoloGnome
December 16th, 2014, 18:20
Looks like there was a DNS update or change this AM...

Trenloe
December 17th, 2014, 01:39
Is it right that FG will not allow the 'Start' button to open a campaign if the server is not contactable? I have had this issue the last couple of days and whenever I can't access the forums, I can't access my campaigns. I thought FG would run fully locally. (Sorry if this is not the best thread to ask on, too)
What damned says is a good suggestion - if you have alias enabled for your campaign (most of us do), when you click start (or double click the campaign name) FG attempts to contact the Fantasygrounds.com server to update the alias info. It times out after a while, but this can look like it's not starting. If you still have issues, disable alias use and give you players your external IP address until the issue is resolved.

El Condoro
December 17th, 2014, 21:58
Thanks for the tips. Not having any problems now. BTW, I'm not sure if it's just a good day here or it's due to the server upgrade but the forum seems to be much faster than usual. Good job!

damned
December 17th, 2014, 22:05
the forums are faster.

El Condoro
December 17th, 2014, 22:12
Hmmm. Not sure if you're correcting my grammar or confirming my observation. :) The forums are faster, which is great. Cheers.

ddavison
December 17th, 2014, 22:37
There's nothing wrong with your grammar and I don't think damned would do such a thing. We should be benefiting from some improvements to speed as a result of several enhancements, including caching and other optimizations.

El Condoro
December 17th, 2014, 23:02
I was only kidding about the grammar - even if he did correct me, I wouldn't be offended. Yes, the site seems much improved and the efforts, and probably stress of those involved, have been worth it. Well done.

ddavison
December 18th, 2014, 00:35
We still have some more work to do to tune and lock things down further. This was a necessary first step and we're glad that people can see a noticeable improvement. I know it's been frustrating for FG users lately.

Blacky
December 27th, 2014, 13:56
Still issues, and it ate my original informative post.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 19f5f9dc2c991503

ddavison
December 27th, 2014, 18:16
Blacky,

Can you send me an email with the issues you are seeing? You can send it through to [email protected]

-Doug