PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds settings never saving.

RuleofThree
December 3rd, 2014, 15:47
I have all my stuff for maps, stories, encounters, and the liked set up so that each has a corresponding tab that have the same symbol and color, so it is easier for me to see what map goes with which, and the like. The problem is that every time I set this up, and close the program, the next time I open it up, everything is reset again. The tabs default back to the two masks with an orange color, some tabs even delete themselves and shove its contents back in to its original position. Is there anyway I can fix this problem? It doesn't want to save any of my settings.

Nickademus
December 3rd, 2014, 17:45
A tab will not save if there is nothing in it. Made a placeholder entry to keep the tab alive. If there is already something in it, can you provide more information or a screenshot? Is there an extension that you are using to modify the tabs? What ruleset?

RuleofThree
December 3rd, 2014, 23:38
Here as some links to show you what I am talking about. This one is before I close out my program:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b0pfcf7vo9eq8h/Before%20closing%20the%20program.png?dl=0

You Notice how there are corrisponding tabs that go with each other. Images and storylines. This is the same for all three tabs. The first tab on Images and Maps is just a collection of random maps, for random encounter scenes and the like. This is how I want them to be saved.

However, the moment I close out of the program, then load my campaign back up, it looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oabmjylkp2do8jw/After%20closing%20the%20program.png?dl=0

Now you can see that my BT and TOSK links are all shoved in to the same tab, while the other tabs are left unchanged for maps and images. While in the story window, Only one link remains in the TOSK tab, while everything else is shoved in to the second tab. You will also notice that the image and color upon the tabs all default back to the masks with the orange color, with the exception of the first tab on each window.

I hope these images help

Nickademus
December 3rd, 2014, 23:55
Try it without the Dungeon Theme. Also delete the CampaignRegistry.lua file for the campaign before starting it up. What is happening is the base color and base image for the tabs is being overwritten in your campaign somehow. Worse comes to worse, you can manually set them and they should then stay. Every now and then I find some things have to be edited outside of FG for FG to do what it's supposed to.

RuleofThree
December 4th, 2014, 00:05
How do I go about setting them manually? Is there a file I need to edit?

Nickademus
December 4th, 2014, 01:04
I assume this occurs even without the Dungeon theme.

In the campaign folder, open the db.xml file in an editor like Notepad++. Collapse the sections (Alt+2 in N++) or search for each tag to find the sections you want to manually set the tabs for.

<encounter> = story window
<image> = image window
<item> = item window
<npc> = NPC window
<battle> = combat encounter window
<treasureparcels> = parcel window
<tables> = table window

Inside each section will be a list of subsections (Alt+3 will collapse them in N++). The opening tag of the subsection with list the tab information, such as
<category name="Treasure Generator" mergeid="" baseicon="5" decalicon="8">
'category name' is what will appear in the tool tip if you hover the mouse over the tab. I highly recommend setting a name for each tab, especially if you are going to be manually editing the db.xml like this. (You can set a name by typing it into the chat window but not hitting enter. Instead, drag the text over the tab.)
'mergeid' is unimportant here
'baseicon' is the color of the tab. Experiment to see what each color is (I think they start at 1 being the default).
'decalicon' is the symbol on the tab. Likewise, the mask is 1 (or maybe 0) and they go up from there.

Now that you found it, set the tabs to be what you want and save the file. In theory, if a program outside of FG saves the file then the changes shouldn't be overwritten when FG reloads. If you are still having trouble, then it isn't a problem with FG going derp. It's something else actively changing the db file.

damned
December 4th, 2014, 02:27
Where is your Campaign data being saved to?
Are you saving it to DropBox, OneDrive, etc? Dont.

RuleofThree
December 4th, 2014, 03:06
You are correct, Nick, none of those previous options worked for me. I used no extention, and i got rid of the .lua file, and it automatically defaulted back to piling things in to one tab.

My Campaign data is saved to C:\Users\<Computer Name>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\campaigns\<Name of Campaign

I am trying to manually edit my db.xml now

damned
December 4th, 2014, 03:37
I also suspect it is something outside Fantasy Grounds that is changing or preventing changes to that file.
What AV or other security software are you running?
Can you try disabling for 10mins as a test?

RuleofThree
December 4th, 2014, 04:16
Yea. Manually adding this stuff in isn't working either. It resets just the same. I am running Microsoft Security Essentials. I will shut it down to see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Turning off Security Essentials did not help me to edit my DB, it still defaults.

damned
December 4th, 2014, 04:53
Are you using a Demo or licensed version of Fantasy Grounds?
Demo is not feature crippled other than a limit of 1 connection and you cannot save any campaign data.

RuleofThree
December 4th, 2014, 05:25
I have the ultimate edition. THough I pay monthly, not a full payment. I am up to date, and I just reciently had two people connected to my table.

I should have mentioned this before, but wasn't sure how important it would be. Now that I've been dinking around. This might be relevant. Sorry, should have known better:

The data I can't assign to new tabs are pre-downloaded content. (Sewers Below, Burning Temple, Tomb of the Serpent King) from fantasy grounds, featuring maps and links for each room description. The only thing I changed was I deleted all the maps save for the dm version, and the medium resolution 75 pixel maps. When looking around. I noticed there are .xml sheets for all three in moduledb folder. When opening them, it shows this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6g7f7aycm34yzy/Screenshot%202014-12-03%2023.23.32.png?dl=0

I've changed and dinked with the category sections however, and it changes nothing, and defaults back to the entries shown on the screenshot.

damned
December 4th, 2014, 12:47
Ok - I just tried doing that with Well met in Kith'Tkharos and it exhibits teh same behaviour. A /reload didnt revert but closing FG and opening set the story items all back in their correct boxes.
I reckon if you really desperately needed to move them into new folders you could try exporting the campaign with the module open, create a blank campaign - do not open the original module but open your exported one - that might work...
Otherwise... if you want another way to organise your campaign... try using PINs on the map... bloody awesome.

RuleofThree
December 4th, 2014, 17:26
I do use pins, of course. It's just much easier to see the oranization when things are tabbed out properly. Suppose its the neatness in me? If it's that much work, and not something that's a part of the features. I'll just deal with it.

ddavison
December 4th, 2014, 17:58
This is an unintended/overlooked feature of editing modules. You can add it to the list here for others to vote up or down to fix in future versions, if you'd like.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/