PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Dice Extension - BETA

dulux-oz
November 27th, 2014, 05:38
Hi Guys,

Oberoten & I have been discussing back and forth a "Wild Die" or "Exploding Die" Extension/Addition - well, I've got the code to a pretty good point, but I've run out of time to devote to it, so while I'll still dabble, I'm putting the Extension up here. If someone(s) would like to collaborate with us and have a crack at finishing this off, then I for one would welcome the help.

At the moment there are a couple of Options (available from the Options System) which allows you to specify the Die to be used for the Wild Die and also the Target/Trigger Number/Value. There is also an option to Add, Multiply, Exponential or Subtract - Add will add the value of maximum value of each proceeding Wild Die Roll to the final Wild Die Rolll and add this to the Total of the non-Wild Die Rolls (similar to Shadow Run); Multiply will multiply the final Wild Die Result by the number of Wild Die Rolls and add this to the Total of the non-Wild Die Rolls; Exponential will Double the final Wild Die Roll by the number of Wild Die Rolls and add this to the Total of the non-Wild Die Rolls; and Subtract will subtract the next Wild Die Roll from the total.

At the moment each Wild Die Roll is shown as a 3D-Roll, and the result is sent to the Chat Window - however, I haven't got any explanation text being displayed in the Chat Window and that's where I've had to leave things.

All the new code in the manager_actions.lua file is at the end, so its easier to find :)

Also note that this is a BETA - USE AT YOU OWN RISK - my suggestion is load this in a new campaign that you won't mind throwing away to try it out.

The current version is 0.7 BETA.

If someone(s) does decide to help finish this off then, as I said, let's collaborate here (and possibly by PM) and see what we can come up with.

Cheers

Oberoten
November 27th, 2014, 08:22
This turned out absolutely beautiful. :) And useful for a lot more systems than just my own cherished Ars Magica. :)

- Obe

dulux-oz
November 27th, 2014, 08:28
This turned out absolutely beautiful. :) And useful for a lot more systems than just my own cherished Ars Magica. :)

- Obe

Yeah, thanks, but it's still not right - at least it's not in a state where I'd be happy to put it out as a "real" Extension - we've got to get the Chat Window messages right :(

Cheers

Mask_of_winter
November 27th, 2014, 14:22
You couldn't have used the code from the Savage Worlds ruleset? All die explode over on the dork side :bandit:

dulux-oz
November 27th, 2014, 15:17
You couldn't have used the code from the Savage Worlds ruleset? All die explode over on the dork side :bandit:

I don't understand what you mean by this - could you please explain? :confused:

Mask_of_winter
November 27th, 2014, 20:47
I don't understand what you mean by this - could you please explain? :confused:
Sure. I mean that Savage Worlds have exploding dice. Roll the highest value of a die from your character sheet and it will automatically reroll and keep adding until you don't hit max value on the die. Just thought you might benefit from checking out the code used to do that. Unless that's not what you meant by exploding die?

dulux-oz
November 28th, 2014, 02:17
Sure. I mean that Savage Worlds have exploding dice. Roll the highest value of a die from your character sheet and it will automatically reroll and keep adding until you don't hit max value on the die. Just thought you might benefit from checking out the code used to do that. Unless that's not what you meant by exploding die?

Ah, right, I wasn't aware of that - I'll take a look-see (when I get time to scratch myself :) ) - thanks.

Cheers

damned
November 28th, 2014, 04:11
Dont worry Dulux - Ill come over and scratch you so you can get back to coding.
Im here to help after all.

dulux-oz
November 28th, 2014, 04:51
Dont worry Dulux - Ill come over and scratch you so you can get back to coding.
Im here to help after all.

You gonna wanna stop flirtin' with me now - you sweet lill-o-thing, you :o

Oberoten
November 30th, 2014, 17:05
Would it be possible to do a workaround by just calling a random number and insert as the result?

- Obe