PDA

View Full Version : using a laptop to create a campaign

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 02:48
Hello all,
I've been trying to use my laptop to setup and create a campaign. I have an Ultimate licence, Could anyone show me where I'm going wrong, cos I can't get it to work.
I DL'd FG onto the laptop, (using my licence key). It installed and ran fine.
I then copied the campaign from the appdata/campaign/mycampaign, and when I try to load it, it crashes FG.
What am I doing wrong?.. how do I get the campaign I'm working on, onto my laptop?, and will the reverse be true??.. when I copy the newer campaign back to the desktop, will that crash FG too???.. any help would be great!.

Thanks

damned
November 27th, 2014, 03:47
That is not normal behaviour.
Many people do what you are trying to do.

Exactly what files/folders are you copying?
What error if any do you get when it crashes?

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 09:22
hi, thanks for the response,
Its the folder that has the campaign in it, its held in the AppData folder (in windows).. this is the path
C:\Users\????\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\MyCampaign
when I transfer this to the appropriate place on the laptop, start FG I wait, usually about 3 mins, then FG just closes.. no alert, no message.

Mistamichal
November 27th, 2014, 12:40
Rather than just copying it over, have you tried exporting it to a module then copying that to the modules folder on the laptop?

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 12:53
no... How do I do that???

Mistamichal
November 27th, 2014, 13:09
In the chat window, type: /export

tick everything you want to explort (which I'm guessing in your case is probably everything), give it a filename, description, etc. Then copy the module to the modules folder in the User/????/.../Fantasy Grounds/Modules and load up FG then open the module from the library.

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 13:17
Thanks for this help, Mistamichal,
I followed that /export info, but when I open the module from the laptop, I get a lot of xml errors (most of the data)..
Some of the data does export tho', do you have any ideas?

Trenloe
November 27th, 2014, 15:14
Are you running the exact same version of Fantasy Grounds on both computers? That is V3.0.9 live?

Are these both Windows PCs?

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 16:01
Yep :)
My desktop and laptop are both up to date.
The desktop is win 8.1, and the laptop runs Vista.
One thing I've noticed.. when I do the export, and the screen appears where you tick to add whats exported... there are 3 tickboxes which have no title????
theres titles like Story, Images, etc.. but lower down the list there are just 3 ticks and no titles.
I note that if I export ANOTHER campaign, those invisible tickboxes don't appear.
I'd really like to be able to develop my campaigns on the laptop, so I hope this is just a bug :(, or better yet, just something I'm doing wrong.

Trenloe
November 27th, 2014, 16:09
What ruleset is this campaign using?

Do you have any extensions enabled on the laptop? If so, make sure you have the exact same extensions enabled on your desktop.

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 16:15
its 4e, and I'm sure the laptop has the same extensions, I can see them all when I try to create a new campaign so they must be available.

Mistamichal
November 27th, 2014, 16:23
This is pretty obvious and you're probably already done it but, I'll ask anyway just in case. Have you uninstalled FG completely from both computers, then reinstalled?

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 16:44
well, I have uninstalled/reinstalled on the laptop... (I didn't realise I'd have to on the desktop?), I won't lose my campaign if I do reinstall the desktop will I?
I should say that on the laptop, FG wasn't under the add/remove software. so the uninstall was just deleting all the directories. (and the one in AppData).
I didn't do a registry check? perhaps I should do that?.

Mistamichal
November 27th, 2014, 16:47
I would back that up just to be safe.

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 16:51
OK, no problem, I'll try doing a reinstall on the desktop too.

Deleted all FG folders. I didn't do a registry sweep, although there were a lot of FG hooks in the registry.
reinstalled, put my campaign back in.
on the desktop its running fine, (STILL the missing bits on the export window).

Trenloe
November 27th, 2014, 18:18
on the desktop its running fine, (STILL the missing bits on the export window).
So are you OK now? The missing bits will be due to an extension you're running.

RixCraven
November 27th, 2014, 20:10
Sorry for the delay.. real life exploded all around.
Let me thank you ALL for the help and patience... let me explain how the situation is now.
FG running beautifully on the desktop, and on the laptop too WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is what I did.. just in case it helps anyone else.
I had an old laptop, which could just about run FG, (now the new one replaces it), SO, I copied the AppData FG stuff from it to the new one and it WORKED!!. After all that, and all your suggestions, I really don't know what was stopping it, but anyway, a very grateful thanks to you all.. from my Saturday group of dungeon ravagers and I.