PDA

View Full Version : Fate Core localization and files

Blacky
November 25th, 2014, 00:06
Several issues with the Fate Core ruleset.

First, there are multiple copies of files in the .pak with a ~ appended to their name. Around 15 of them. Not sure what they are about.

Second, there's some D&D leftovers here and their, like the Rounds in the CT and in the Chat window.

Third, unsure if this is technically a Support issue, but : text displayed in the rulesets is not in strings files, breaking the localization process. To take two examples, the type of Consequences on the character sheet, and the default skill list.

Valarian
November 25th, 2014, 10:04
The combat rounds aren't a D&D leftover. There are still combat rounds (exchanges) in Fate. The round counter in the combat tracker and the turn indicator in the chat window are needed.

Setting up a conflict is a little more involved than setting up contests or challenges. Here are the steps:
Set the scene, describing the environment the conflict takes place in, creating situation aspects and zones, and establishing who’s participating and what side they’re on.
- Determine the turn order.
- Start the first exchange:
+ On your turn, take an action and then resolve it.
+ On other people’s turns, defend or respond to their actions as necessary.
+ At the end of everyone’s turn, start again with a new exchange.
You know the conflict is over when everyone on one of the sides has conceded or been taken out.

The extra ~ files are backup (last edit) versions of the files. They have slipped in to the release package file.

Changing the default skill list would be an edit of the data_common.lua file, in the same way as localisation of the form strings would be an edit of the strings file. I'll have a look at the consequences, but I think that's another edit of a lua file. I really need to look at a localisation guide at some stage. I have tried to use the textres string replacement where I can.

Blacky
November 25th, 2014, 11:57
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the taxonomy round/exchange.

Blacky
November 28th, 2014, 07:18
Changing the default skill list would be an edit of the data_common.lua file, in the same way as localisation of the form strings would be an edit of the strings file. I'll have a look at the consequences, but I think that's another edit of a lua file. I really need to look at a localisation guide at some stage. I have tried to use the textres string replacement where I can.
For the default skill list, actually that's two different things:

First you got the default skill list, which is a rule issue/paradigm. Changing it would mean either a child ruleset, an extension, or some leeway for Fate Hacks built in the Fate Core ruleset.

Second, you got the name of each skill, which is a localization issue/paradigm. That would be addressed the same way the localization is.

Why the distinction matter? Well let's say that you want, either now or in 3 years, do something with a skill. Could be a description of the skill as a tooltip, could be some automatism on a specific skill, whatever… a script that does something with a skill.

Well, now if a user loads a GermanFateCore extension for example, it would change the name of each skill with localized one. But if your script (or a script from another extension) rely on said names, they would probably break.

As for i18n in general, I believe the theory is simple: every and any character that is displayed on the screen should be parse through the new FG string mechanism, no exception. Unless massive I would suggest putting it all in one file (easier to track for changes for translators), and whenever possible creating a new string than reusing the CoreRPG one if there is even the hint of a possibility that's a different thing.

For example in Fate Core ruleset you reuse the CoreRPG string for PC sheet skills, but in CoreRPG it's not just skill it's also Attributes and anything rollable.