PDA

View Full Version : PCs Can Roll at Any Time?

shemantis
November 23rd, 2014, 17:11
Sorry for all the questions recently, but we're trying to play online instead of our normal face-to-face games, so there's a whole new set of actions I have to learn!

5e ruleset, Fantasy Grounds 3.0.10:
Can PCs just roll ATK/DMG at any time...? Even when it is an NPC's turn, the player is able to drag an ATK/DMG dice onto an NPC an it applies. I would think it would disallow actions like that when it wasn't *your* turn.

Andraax
November 23rd, 2014, 17:31
It's pretty easy to reverse it out. If you play with children who think it's funny to do things like that, you might want to institute a rule like "if you apply damage to NPCs out of your turn, the damage will be reversed out and applied to your character."

Or just kick repeat offenders out of your group.

shemantis
November 23rd, 2014, 17:42
It's pretty easy to reverse it out. If you play with children who think it's funny to do things like that, you might want to institute a rule like "if you apply damage to NPCs out of your turn, the damage will be reversed out and applied to your character."

Or just kick repeat offenders out of your group.

I don't play with *literal* children, but do play with people probably won't immediately understand the mechanics of Fantasy Grounds (not because it's hard, but more because...some people find computers in general hard, lol).
Anyway, I was just surprised that this was the intended way for the program to act. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, like a settingsoption to "lock" actions when it wasn't your turn.

What is the best way to "reverse it out?"

Andraax
November 23rd, 2014, 17:47
Well, the attack roll doesn't matter (just make them do another attack when it's their turn). If they apply damage, just hold the Ctrl key while you drag the damage to the affected NPC again. This will reverse out the previous result.

shemantis
November 23rd, 2014, 17:48
Okay, that's faster than re-typing the wounds, which was what I was thinking. Thank you yet again!

damned
November 23rd, 2014, 22:06
There are a number of reasons players can make rolls when its not their turn - eg attribute checks, saving throws and even attacks of opportunity - hence players can roll whenever.
once the "shiny new thing" experience wears off your players will do this less and less :)

Callum
November 24th, 2014, 11:25
Players need the ability to roll out of their turn for things such as attacks of opportunity.