PDA

View Full Version : NPC List vrs. Encounters?

jh79
November 23rd, 2014, 01:08
What is the benefit of dragging monsters from the Monster Manual to the NPC list first before making an encounter?

I've been dragging them straight to encounters and making them there without the NPC list and it seems to work fine. Does it have to do with module exporting that they have to be in the NPC list in addition to the encounters you make? Hope this made sense.

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2014, 03:29
No need to add them to NPC list unless you want to make a copy to edit.

When exporting encounters to a separate module, as long as the path of the NPC record in your Monster Manual stays the same (if the MM is updated) and the MM is open, the exported encounters will work fine.

Cheers,
JPG

jh79
November 23rd, 2014, 04:00
OK, cool, never have seen that explained in any vids I've seen. Appreciated.

damned
November 23rd, 2014, 05:23
Editing the NPC in any way including Tokens is much easier and safer doing it via the Personalities.

jh79
November 23rd, 2014, 05:53
Yep, I always do it through Personalities, but I put them straight to the Encounters portion of Personalities from the MM. I don't put them to NPCs in Personalities first unless I make an NPC from scratch.

But as you and MW explained, that is OK, but to actually edit the NPC from the Monster Manual it has to be dragged over to the NPC portion of Personalities, it can't be edited from the Encounter portion because it is read only. So the NPC portion has a big function as you said, editing a Monster from the Monster Manual if needed.

Enjoyed your vids by the way Damned, I learned a couple of other things I had no idea Fantasy Grounds did, like drag images over a Portrait to share with one player in secret, or typed texted. Really helpful stuff, very cool.

Xorn
November 23rd, 2014, 18:12
In my adventure module tutorial, I showed dragging them into the Personalities window and relinking a token because I was showing how to make a completely standalone module that has no dependencies on your library. So you can give the resulting MOD file to someone else, and they won't need the same MM module you used.

I also mentioned in the video that if you aren't worried about the link to your library module, you can just use it directly. (I don't, because I tend to make a lot of adjustments to my library modules, and I don't want to break anything in my adventure modules when I do that.)

jh79
November 23rd, 2014, 20:47
In my adventure module tutorial, I showed dragging them into the Personalities window and relinking a token because I was showing how to make a completely standalone module that has no dependencies on your library. So you can give the resulting MOD file to someone else, and they won't need the same MM module you used.

I also mentioned in the video that if you aren't worried about the link to your library module, you can just use it directly. (I don't, because I tend to make a lot of adjustments to my library modules, and I don't want to break anything in my adventure modules when I do that.)

Sweet ill check it out for sure. Hopefully I can give back to the community, DM at FG con or something. You are all so helpful with your videos and forum information, makes me want to contribute in the future.