PDA

View Full Version : Wrong attack bonus for spell attack, ranged?

Valhingen
November 22nd, 2014, 20:47
I must be misunderstanding something but...

I have a spell section (Cantrips) that has for group setup, Ability INT. The character has 19 (+4).
Now I add a cast to Fire Bolt and choose Type: ranged and Base: Group Attack.

Why does it show Ranged +2 rather than +6 (+4 INT, +2 Prof)?

(I know I can manually get it to +6 but that defeats the purpose of those group settings I think)

Mistamichal
November 22nd, 2014, 21:09
You need to assign your INT bonus to the attack roll. On your character sheet, click the magnifiying glass to expand your spell details, then click the magnifying glass on the line that has your ranged attack. Then under the attack details, change the 'Base' to Ability, then Change the 'Stat' to INT. That should do it.

Valhingen
November 22nd, 2014, 21:11
Yes, thank you - thats what I meant with being able to manually adjust it. Its not how its supposed to work though, is it? Shouldnt it grab the "INT" from the spellgroup?

Mistamichal
November 22nd, 2014, 21:25
As far as I know (so, someone please correct me if I'm wrong), because different spellcasting classes use different stats for their attacks (e.g. INT, CHA), you have to do it that way. FG doesn't know you use INT as your spellcasting ability modifier so, you have to tell it.

Xorn
November 23rd, 2014, 18:26
Whenever you create a new spell category--there is a magnifying glass on the titlebar of the category--you can set your ability to use there. That's where you set the "group" stat bonus that's reference in individual "Cast/Save" entries.

Valhingen
April 3rd, 2016, 14:36
Sorry for Necro-ing this thread but I still have difficulties with this...

1. I click on the magnifying glass in the header line, the category - "Spells (Level 1)"
2. I set it to Ability INT, Attack INT + "star" (alternatively I tried by adding another +4 in the third field on top)

Now I drag any "make spell attack roll" spell into Spells level one and it will end up with:

The attack clicky shows "Ranged+3" ... which is prof only, not considering INT mod from the group itself...neither from Ability, not even the manual +4

What am I doing wrong? I dont want to manually edit ALL spells with attack rolls the moment someone raises their INT bonus :(

EDIT: same thing for Save buttons..it only ever pulls Prof, disregarding what I set on group/header level

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2016, 15:26
Can you set up a new campaign without any extension loaded and proceed as follows.

Open the campaign, create a new character, give it intelligence of 18, add the Wizard Class and then give it the fire bolt spell.

What you should end up with is that the Firebolt spell will automatically have an attack of +6 (in this case). If this works then something about the original character is borked.

I can't reproduce your problem at all. As you can see from the above there isn't actually any need to set anything in the spells line since FG should detect that you have a spellcaster that uses intelligence and so will set the 'Base' attack and save DC to INT. This should mean that attacks and save DCs are automatically correct. Furthermore if you then change the INT of the character the attack and save bonuses should also change automatically.

One possibility is that you have created the spell power group manually, in which case make sure that the 'Group Type' is set to spells (the little spell book icon) which you will find by clicking on the magnifying glass at the end of the line that reads Spells (Level 1). Although actually that shouldn't actually make any difference if the correct ability is selected.

EDIT: I've just noticed the original date on the start of this thread. I'm not sure that this level of automation existed in 2014, so that might well be the reason why that character doesn't work as you would expect now.

Valhingen
April 3rd, 2016, 16:42
Alright, I tried..the only extensions if those are anyway would be PHB and MM (the official ones).

So, if I manually create a new Wizard in a new Campaign the way I did in 2014, namely, typing Wizard, adding level 1 and even setting caster to "1x" (this didnt exist back then I think), it still wont work and firebolt will only pull Prof +2

However, if I create a new character and drag the "wizard" class from the PHB into the character sheet, it does it right...very odd.
Now I wonder if I can somehow "fix" existing character sheets or have to do all of them again.

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2016, 17:36
Yes, you create a new character with drag and drop. If you create it manually then you need to do everything manually. It's when you drop the class/background/race in that the magic happens.

You won't be able to fix existing sheets, but you'll find that with all the enhancements that have been done over the last 12 months or so that there is a lot more automation when creating characters. For example most spells will now create all the necessary effects. If you were to ask my opinion I'd say recreate the existing characters with drag and drop. It'll also be far easier to level them up too.

Valhingen
April 3rd, 2016, 17:38
Ok, thanks a lot, will have to do that then. Its a bit annoying since we edited loads of them to add small remarks or reminders but I think you are right :) Time to burry this thread again until 2018! :)

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2016, 18:07
Ok, thanks a lot, will have to do that then. Its a bit annoying since we edited loads of them to add small remarks or reminders but I think you are right :) Time to burry this thread again until 2018! :)

Hehe :)

Another benefit of drag/drop is that it links to the source material on the character sheet. So, for example all of the characters traits etc will have a link back to the PHB for easy reference. This applies to the race, background, class and indeed anything else you drag in there.

Nyghtmare
April 6th, 2016, 06:11
And to be honest, having the ability to drag/drop everything is one of the main benefits of buying the handbooks on the FG Store. It saves soooooo much time over if you had to do it manually, even if after you did it once you would not need to repeat the labor.

I did that with spells and classes and backgrounds and races on the Roll20 site and it took so long to get it all into place.

Then add in having to manually put in the modules themselves if you want to play the official campaigns... it was more than worth the money to buy them than spend so many hours doing it manually!