PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pathfinder Witch Hexes as an Effect

Farnaby
November 20th, 2014, 23:46
Hi everyone. I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, so please bear with me.

I am playing a Witch and she uses Hexes instead of spells.
One of these hexes is called Evil Eye and I choose which effect it has,
so I set up 5 effects:

Evil Eye AC; AC: -2; D:8
Evil Eye ATK; ATK: -2; D:8
Evil Eye SAVE; SAVE: -2; D:8
Evil Eye SKILL; SKILL: -2; D:8
Evil Eye ABIL; ABIL: -2; D:8

and choose the one I want.
My question is though that if the target manages a saving throw of WILL DC 16, the duration is only 1 instead of 8.
Having noticed that spells can roll saving throws automatically, is there any way of using IFT and the saving throw to change the duration
so that the GM doesn't need to?

The other hex is called Misfortune and I have no idea if I can make this effect, but here goes:

If the target fails it's saving throw, the target rolls 2 d20 instead of one and takes the lower for every ATK, SAVE, ABIL and SKILL roll for one round.

Any ideas would be really helpful, especially with the saving throw dilemma.

Cheers - Farnaby

Blahness98
November 21st, 2014, 01:07
For evil eye, you could possibly set it up as a spell with the correct saving throw. Add the cast option and click it when you cast it. That will throw the saving throw automatically. You could then set up the effects in that spell for the situations you have. If the target fails, apply the correct effect from the actions tab. If they succeed, do the same and an have the GM adjust it on the CT. Or if they succeed, build the success effect as well and apply that.

For the other one, you may have to do that manually. I don't know of a proper way of doing that with an effect.

Farnaby
November 21st, 2014, 15:09
So you mean take an existing spell or is there a way to add the saving throw to an effect?

darrenan
November 21st, 2014, 17:48
On your actions tab do the following:
1. Right click, Add Spell Caster Class. Name the class whatever you want, "Hexes" or something. Click on the open book in the top-left, so it changes to a star (spontaneous caster).
2. In the level 0 slot, type the number of hexes you have.
3. On the level 0 group header, right click and add spell for each hex you have.
4. On each hex, right click and add spell action then add cast. This will add a new cast action to the hex, click the magnifying glass on the far right of the cast action to open up a new window where you can specify what the cast action is (touch attack, saving throw, etc.).
5. On the hex again, right click and add spell action, then add effect. Type in your effect above, make sure the little buttons on the left are correct. One of them can be toggled between TRGT (target) and SELF (self), the other can be toggled between ALL, ACTION (lasts for a single action), and ROLL (lasts for a single roll).

In general, spell caster classes and spells are not really limited to casting and spells. You can put any arbitrary actions there. For instance, I usually have a "Combat and Feats" caster class where I put effects for things like fighting defensively, total defense, flanking, charge, etc. This is probably the most flexible and useful portion of the character sheet. In the words of Mr. Hand: "Learn it, know it, live it."

Hope this helps.

Farnaby
November 21st, 2014, 18:37
That's nearly what I was looking for.
Is there any way of distinguishing what happens if the saving throw is failed or not?
Otherwise I need to use 2 effects.

Blahness98
November 22nd, 2014, 00:09
Not with an effect unfortunately.. You will need to have both effects...

Farnaby
November 22nd, 2014, 01:09
Someone just told me about the 5e Disadvantage.
This would mirror the Pathfinder Witches misfortune hex perfectly.
Who would I have to ask to get this in the Pathfinder ruleset?

Willot
November 22nd, 2014, 07:51
Moon Wizard. He also has a wish list https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/
But any of the guys here who can make extensions... Nickademus maybe?

bilalnaqvi921
November 22nd, 2014, 10:43
You will need to have both effects

Nickademus
November 22nd, 2014, 11:48
But any of the guys here who can make extensions... Nickademus maybe?

Thank you but no. I won't be making extensions until either...
A. Fantasy Grounds has version control and backward compatibility
B. We get full documentation on the rulesets

Neither is a reasonable expectation of Smite Works so I don't plan on working on extensions anytime soon.

Just make two spell entries, one with the set of five effects at full duration and one with set of five at 1 round duration. For misfortune, make two effects: 'Misfortuned' for 1 round and 'Misfortune immunity' for 24 hours so you know not to misfortune that creature again. Then it's just up to the GM to remember to roll twice for the misfortuned creature (or you can remind him/her).

Farnaby
November 22nd, 2014, 18:06
Thanks for all your help guys.

Willot
November 23rd, 2014, 01:58
Thank you but no. I won't be making extensions until either...
A. Fantasy Grounds has version control and backward compatibility
B. We get full documentation on the rulesets.
Perhaps when Unity is done we may get a bit more standardization