PDA

View Full Version : Names, Version & Release Numbers - How Do They Interact?

dulux-oz
November 20th, 2014, 06:19
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to spell things out explicitly - there's a Summary at the end to speed things up, if you like. :)

I've had a search through the Forums can I can't seem to find anything on this. If it already exists, could someone please point me to the relevant thread(s).

In the start of each Ruleset's base.xml file we'll find a line such as (these are from v3.0.9 of the CoreRPG, 3.5E & Pathfinder Rulesets, respectively):

<root version="3.0" release="3" logo="logo.png">
<root version="3.0" release="14" logo="logo.png">
<root version="3.0" release="1" logo="logo.png">

I understand that the "version" refers to the version of FG and that the "release" refers to the version of the Ruleset.

Further down in a Cascaded or Child Ruleset we'll find lines such as (these are from v3.0.9 of the 3.5E & Pathfinder Rulesets, respectively):

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
</importinfo>
<importruleset source="CoreRPG" />

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="3.5E" />
</importinfo>
<importruleset source="3.5E" />

So I understand that because the Pathfinder Ruleset has the <importruleset source="3.5E" /> line it will "Cascade" down from the 3.5E Ruleset - in other words (in Pseudo-Code):

Rule 1:
If Ruleset X has <importruleset source="Y" /> then
Ruleset X will Cascade from (be a Child of) Ruleset Y
Endif

In an Extension we may find lines such as (these are from the Wiki):

<root version="2.0">

<name>d20</name>
<minrelease>12</minrelease>
<maxrelease>12</maxrelease>

I understand that the "version" in an Extension is the version of the Extension - the same as the "release" of a Ruleset.

I also understand that the "name" in an Extension refers to the name of a Ruleset or another Extension and that the "minrelease" and "maxrelese" refer to the Ruleset or Extension version - in other words (in Pseudo-Code):

Rule 2:
If Extension A has <name>Y</name>then
Extension A will interact with Ruleset Y (as per which Tag the "name" Tag is a child of)
Endif

Rule 3:
If Extension A has <minrelease>nRelease1</minrelease> and
Ruleset Y has <root version="nVersion" release="nRelease2"> and
nRelease1 >= nRelease2 then
Extension A will interact with Ruleset Y (as per which Tag the "name" Tag is a child of)
Endif

Rule 4:
If Extension A has <maxrelease>nRelease1</maxrelease> and
nRelease1 <= nRelease2 then
Endif

Rule 5:
If Extension A has <name>B</name> then
Extension A will interact with Extension B (as per which Tag the "name" Tag is a child of)
Endif

Rule 6:
If Extension A has <minrelease>nRelease</minrelease> and
Extension B has <root version="nVersion"> and
nRelease >= nVersion then
Extension A will interact with Extension B (as per which Tag the "name" Tag is a child of)
Endif

Rule 7:
If Extension A has <maxrelease>nRelease</maxrelease> and
Extension B has <root release="nVersion"> and
nRelease <= nVersion then
Endif

In a Module we'll find a line such as (these are from v3.0.9 of the 3.5E-basicrules & CSRDbasicrules Modules, respectively):

<ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>
<ruleset>d20</ruleset>

Now, I understand that both of these Modules can be loaded into the Pathfinder Ruleset because the Pathfinder Ruleset has the <acceptfrom ruleset="d20" /> and <acceptfrom ruleset="3.5E" /> lines and the 3.5E-basicrules Module has the <ruleset>3.5E</ruleset> line and the CSRDbasicrules Module has the <ruleset>d20</ruleset> line - in other words (in Pseudo-Code):

Rule 8:
If Ruleset X has <acceptfrom ruleset="S-String" /> and
Module L has <ruleset>S-String</ruleset> then
Ruleset X will be able to open Module L
Endif

So, have I missed anything?

Is all the above correct?

If so, why is the 3.5E Ruleset able to open the 3.5E-basicrules Module: they DON'T follow Rule 8, nor is there anything I can find in the CoreRPG Ruleset which would allow this to occur (the CoreRPG can't open the 3.5E-basicrules Module, btw)?

Summary

Interaction Rules for Rulesets, Extensions and Modules

Rule 1:
If Ruleset X has <importruleset source="Y" /> then
Ruleset X will Cascade from (be a Child of) Ruleset Y
Endif

Rule 2:
If Extension A has <name>Y</name> then
Endif

Rule 3:
If Extension A has <minrelease>nRelease1</minrelease> and
nRelease1 >= nRelease2 then
Endif

Rule 4:
If Extension A has <maxrelease>nRelease1</maxrelease> and
nRelease1 <= nRelease2 then
Endif

Rule 5:
If Extension A has <name>B</name> then
Endif

Rule 6:
If Extension A has <minrelease>nRelease</minrelease> and
Extension B has <root version="nVersion"> and
nRelease >= nVersion then
Endif

Rule 7:
If Extension A has <maxrelease>nRelease</maxrelease> and
Extension B has <root release="nVersion"> and
nRelease <= nVersion then
Endif

Rule 8:
If Ruleset X has <acceptfrom ruleset="S-String" /> and
Module L has <ruleset>S-String</ruleset> then
Ruleset X will be able to open Module L
Endif

My Questions
(Briefly Repeated)

So, have I missed anything?

Are the Rules as I've stated them correct?

If so, why is the 3.5E Ruleset able to open the 3.5E-basicrules Module: they DON'T follow Rule 8?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
November 20th, 2014, 22:41
Didn't pick through it in detail, but looks reasonable from a scan-through.

There is always an implied <acceptfrom> tag for the current ruleset name.

Regards,
JPG

dulux-oz
November 21st, 2014, 03:24
Didn't pick through it in detail, but looks reasonable from a scan-through.

There is always an implied <acceptfrom> tag for the current ruleset name.

Regards,
JPG

Sorry, could you develop that point more fully, sir - is that how the 3.5E Ruleset is able to open the 3.5E-basicrules Module, because "3.5E" is the current (or, should I say "default") Ruleset name?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
November 25th, 2014, 21:22
Each module can specify which rulesets that they are created for.

Each ruleset can specify additional rulesets for which they are "module-compatible".

When a ruleset requests a list of available modules through the FG API, any matching modules (those which have a ruleset tag matching the current ruleset or an importinfo tag in the ruleset) will be returned.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
November 26th, 2014, 01:39
As an example, the PFRPG ruleset has the following in it's base.xml file, allowing modules made for 3.5E and d20 rulesets to be opened in a PFRPG campaign (as well as modules made for the PFRPG ruleset itself):

<importinfo>
</importinfo>

dulux-oz
November 26th, 2014, 03:01
As an example, the PFRPG ruleset has the following in it's base.xml file, allowing modules made for 3.5E and d20 rulesets to be opened in a PFRPG campaign (as well as modules made for the PFRPG ruleset itself):

<importinfo>
</importinfo>

Yeah, I said that myself in an earlier post - but what I wanted to know was why the 3.5E Ruleset was able to open the 3.5E-basicrules Module when the 3.5E Ruleset DOESN'T have:

<importinfo>
</importinfo>

Cheers

Trenloe
November 26th, 2014, 03:42
Yeah, I said that myself in an earlier post - but what I wanted to know was why the 3.5E Ruleset was able to open the 3.5E-basicrules Module when the 3.5E Ruleset DOESN'T have:

<importinfo>
</importinfo>

Cheers
You don't need to specify importinfo for the ruleset itself. It's assumed that a module made for the 3.5E ruleset will be able to be loaded in the 3.5E ruleset, for example. If you made a modified 3.5E ruleset, and perhaps called it MY_3.5E then you'd have to either modify all of your 3.5E modules to use MY_3.5E <ruleset> or use <importinfo> with 3.5E once in your custom ruleset.

EDIT: the documentation on <importinfo> mentions: "This definition determines the list of other rulesets declared data compatible with the running ruleset."

dulux-oz
November 26th, 2014, 04:10
You don't need to specify importinfo for the ruleset itself. It's assumed that a module made for the 3.5E ruleset will be able to be loaded in the 3.5E ruleset, for example. If you made a modified 3.5E ruleset, and perhaps called it MY_3.5E then you'd have to either modify all of your 3.5E modules to use MY_3.5E <ruleset> or use <importinfo> with 3.5E once in your custom ruleset.

EDIT: the documentation on <importinfo> mentions: "This definition determines the list of other rulesets declared data compatible with the running ruleset."

Yeah, and that's what I've come to understand during this discussion :)

Cheers

Blacky
November 27th, 2014, 21:06
The definitive answer to the original question should be put in the wiki…