PDA

View Full Version : PFS #3-09 The Quest for Perfection, Part 1: The Edge of Heaven, Friday 28 Nov 8pm GMT

cmdisc
November 16th, 2014, 16:23
The Edge of Heaven is the first scenario in the three-part The Quest for Perfection campaign arc. It is followed by Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-11: The Quest for Perfection—Part II: On Hostile Waters and Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-13: The Quest for Perfection—Part III: Defenders of Nesting Swallow. All three chapters are intended to be played in order.

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for Levels 1–5.

Calendar for sign-up can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1300

I will be running Parts 2 & 3 as my schedule allows across Dec/Jan.

I encourage anyone who is interested to sign up regardless of how many people are already on the list. If there is enough interest for another group it's possible either myself or another GM can run it again for those that aren't able to make this run-through.

There are also some out there who have already done parts of this but need a part or two to complete the whole. Once finished with this, I am willing to rerun something that folks might be missing. I know specifically of two people who are both missing Part 3, for example.

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2014, 16:44
I would like to play. The timing is a little tricky as I have a game that starts 5.5 hour after this one... but that shouldn't be an issue.
I have several characters that could play this depending on who signs up... I'm willing to be flexible.
Prindlemire - Gnome Sorcerer/5.0
Garbunkle - Gnome Two Weapon Fighter/5.0
Grum - Half-orc Rogue (Thug)/3.1
Iggy Toymaker - Dwarf Alchemist/2.2
Stick - Tengu Inquisitor/4.2
Daydrocandri - Gnome Oracle/3.0
Thumpinollo - Gnome Sacred Shield Paladin/2.2
Brom of the Stone - Dwarf Druid (Menhir Savant)/2.0
Pugnacious Twiddlebury - Gnome Summoner/2.1
Spirit Walker - Gnome Spirit Totem Barbarian/3.1
Pyros - Ifrit Cleric/1.2
Alphonso Marosi - Ifrit Swashbuckler/1.1

cmdisc
November 16th, 2014, 17:28
Wait.

D-w-a-r-f?

I-f-r-i-t?

I think you misspelled "Gnome" a few times there. :p

Blackfoot
November 16th, 2014, 18:10
Only HALF my characters are actually gnomes.

Victor
November 16th, 2014, 23:08
I would love to sign up, and will, but there may be conflict with the other PFS game going on at the same time. It certainly seems from the last several games that the only time there is an active player base is Fridays at 8ish GMT.
Perhaps you and Xazil can get together and agree to alternate weeks. I am really enjoying my vaunt into PFS and would love to play in both scenariios.

xazil
November 17th, 2014, 01:41
Ill come along as a player here as I mentioned in the previous thread about interest. Either Sorcerer (trapsmith) or Druid. Gives me a week off too. :)

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 04:24
I signed up.

cmdisc
November 17th, 2014, 08:08
I would love to sign up, and will, but there may be conflict with the other PFS game going on at the same time. It certainly seems from the last several games that the only time there is an active player base is Fridays at 8ish GMT.
Perhaps you and Xazil can get together and agree to alternate weeks. I am really enjoying my vaunt into PFS and would love to play in both scenariios.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your PFS experiences so far. I think there are enough GM's on FG that sometimes conflicts happen, although if someone has something scheduled on a certain day, we try to work around that. I posted a thread a few weeks back asking about interest and availability for TQfP and my intent to find time around the end of Nov for a session. Based on the response, a Fri/Sat session seemed to capture the most US/European/Australian availability. And although I wasn't playing in it, I was tracking "The Devil We Know" and saw that only the 14th and 21st were up on the calendar. I know there are 2 more parts to it, but figured maybe if I snagged the 28th, I could give Xazil a break. ;) (And he seems to agree based on his response).

Otherwise if a conflict does happen, don't worry about missing out. I'm sure someone might be interested in running this set of Scenarios again as the interest expressed for it was more than can be tabled in 1 run-through.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2014, 08:11
Actually.. having the problem of too many games running at the same time isn't the worst issue. I personally would love to see enough games running that multiple PFS sessions could be chosen from. There are plenty of players out there...

Farnaby
November 17th, 2014, 16:53
Love to play if I don't have one on the same day.

kwarner1986
November 17th, 2014, 18:48
I like to play as well. Time might conflict with the other game.

cmdisc
November 17th, 2014, 19:42
Ok, I'll bite as a few people have mentioned it now. What other game is conflicting? The only one I was tracking that might is Xazil's and he's on board for this one. So unless he's incredibly more talented than I'm giving him credit for, I don't believe he'll be running Part 3 at that time. :p

Or is it something else I'm missing? (Which, to be fair, is not difficult for me to do. heh)

Victor
November 17th, 2014, 20:13
:)
Nah, I think he meant Xazil's game as well, since he is in that one with us. :) I am guessing he didn't read thru the whole forum (who would) to see that Xazil joined in this game and is taking that day off from DMing his.
You did the exact right thing in checking his calendar dates and planning it to give him a break. Well Done!

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2014, 21:16
Have folks started making commitments to characters for this yet? I'd like to start getting my files together but I'm not sure what the group is going to need. I think my preference would be to play: Garbunkle my Level 5 Two Weapon Fighter... but I'm open to other options.

xazil
November 17th, 2014, 23:18
Looking at the make up of the people pending I think it looks like my Druid 3 will work out better than a Sorcerer 4.

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 23:34
Belteshazzar not only wears make-up, but sometimes he likes to put on Elven ceremonial gowns.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2014, 23:45
Hrm. Not everyone on the calendar has posted here... but this is what it's starting to look like:

Blackfoot : Garbunkle - 5 - Gnome Two-Weapon Fighter (I can change if need be)
Victor : Belteshazzar - 3 - Elf Magus
xazil : Janek - 4 - Elf Sorcerer
HoloGnome : Zan Greenshadow - 3 - Elf Rogue (Rake)/Wizard (Enchanter)
Farnaby : Meredith - 2 - Vudran Ninja
kwarner1986 : Rebecca - 3 - Human Cleric

Carog the Fat : No Specifics - No Post
Sam Guerra : Karack - 3 - Half-Orc Barbarian - No Post

I'm hoping kwarner1986 has some sort of healing option to bring along... looks like we'll be playing up.

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2014, 00:01
Sounds like it might be nice to have an Irori worshiper along on this thing... and/or some sort of monk.

Victor
November 18th, 2014, 00:14
I am brining my only character :) The Elf Magus.

p.s. I only wear make up when I go out clubbing looking for a Hole o' Gnome on the DL. You must've seen me there. :)
Pot to kettle, "You're Black!"

xazil
November 18th, 2014, 01:11
My sorcerer 4 actually is an Irori devotee with a good amount of knowledges etc.

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2014, 01:24
My sorcerer 4 actually is an Irori devotee with a good amount of knowledges etc.Doesn't it seem like he'd be better for this then?

xazil
November 18th, 2014, 01:29
Well, Ragnar can actually lob healing spells (although he is more a meleer build) and we didn't have someone able to.

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2014, 01:30
Well, Ragnar can actually lob healing spells (although he is more a meleer build) and we didn't have someone able to.That would be handy.. let's see what kwarner1986 brings.

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2014, 03:11
Garbunkle's Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I9_4DSavVmgcAKmu0naYfAuMXY_D0cP4SHPMjOAx-QU/edit?usp=sharing)

kwarner1986
November 18th, 2014, 03:16
I'll bring miss Rebecca who is my Level 3 Healing Cleric.

xazil
November 18th, 2014, 04:08
I didn't want kwarner1986 to feel compelled to play Rebecca, but since he is I'll bring along Janek to see if he can keep down the snark on the elven magic dabblers.

HoloGnome
November 18th, 2014, 04:51
Success Roll: -20

kwarner1986
November 18th, 2014, 06:44
She's my only character at level 3. If we played a lower tier I would be playing something else.

xazil
November 18th, 2014, 06:48
She's my only character at level 3. If we played a lower tier I would be playing something else.

Yeah, I only have Janek and Ragnar, and Ragnar is half way there from GM credits.

cmdisc
November 18th, 2014, 07:18
Right now I am tracking as slotted for the table:

Blackfoot
Victor
Xazil
Holognome
Farnaby
kwarner1986

These are the ones who first posted in forum and signed up on the calendar.

I have Carog the Fat as the first standby and Sam Guerra as the second. There have been at least 5 others that have expressed interest in this as well. So there's enough beyond this if another GM decides to run it again at some point.

APL right now is sitting at 3.33 so it looks like we can play up with Garbunkle, Belteshazzar, Janek Trap-Tinker, Zan Greenshadow, Meredith, and Rebecca Mercer . There appears to be a healthy variety of character options, which is good.

I'd like you to post your XMLs and most recent Chronicles here if you haven't done so already. For the sake of those that may not be sure how to do so:

#1 Click on the "Go Advanced" button below the chat window to open up some options further down the page.
#2 Then click on "Manage Attachments" which should open up a new, smaller window.
#3 Click "Browse" and work your way to wherever you have your XML file saved.
#4 Once you open that, click "Upload" and give it a moment to appear under the Current Attachments section. You should also now see it as an attachment below "Manage Attachments" button.
#5 Repeat #3 and #4 to find and attach your recent Chronicle and then click "Submit Reply" when you're ready to post. Everything should pop into place just fine.

Lastly, if you find that you have to back out for any reason (hey, RL happens), please let us know ASAP so we can get the slot filled.

cmdisc
November 18th, 2014, 11:44
Hmm...actually Blackfoot, how many XP does Garbunkle have? Will he level out of these scenarios before he goes through all 3 parts?

Blackfoot
November 18th, 2014, 13:32
Garbunkle is exactly level 5 so he's good to play all of it... assuming there are 3 parts.

cmdisc
November 18th, 2014, 13:54
Excellent! :)

And yes, just 3.

HoloGnome
November 19th, 2014, 02:51
Like the Holy Hand Grenade, neither shall there be 4 parts and 5 is right out.

HoloGnome
November 19th, 2014, 02:52
I'll send my character as soon as I finish up changes from last game. But...bear in mind there will be 1 more session, so he will need an update next week.

Victor
November 20th, 2014, 19:25
If it's not an issue I will send my xml after this weekends game.

cmdisc
November 20th, 2014, 22:05
I'll send my character as soon as I finish up changes from last game. But...bear in mind there will be 1 more session, so he will need an update next week.

If it's not an issue I will send my xml after this weekends game.

Not a problem. After the weekend is fine.

HoloGnome
November 21st, 2014, 01:08
OK, great. Thx.

cmdisc
November 24th, 2014, 17:31
Just a reminder for folks to get me their XML's and latest Chronicles so I have time to review them. I have Blackfoot's and HoloGnome's so far.

Farnaby
November 24th, 2014, 23:46
Here's mine:

remove the .xml from the herolab file as I can't upload it with the proper extension.
See you on friday.

Edit: Just received a Boon (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byi37alIzB4rRHV6THoyYnBIYXAzRXE2dVM5UWp3X1JkZllj/view?usp=sharing) from FGConV

Blackfoot
November 24th, 2014, 23:48
Here's mine:

remove the .xml from the herolab file as I can't upload it with the proper extension.

See you on saturday.You can always zip a file if it is not a type that is accepted for upload.

Farnaby
November 24th, 2014, 23:50
You can always zip a file if it is not a type that is accepted for upload.

I think it's quicker to remove a fake extension than unzipping.

xazil
November 25th, 2014, 00:31
Here is Janek's files. I am assuming that Kyle is staying on Rebecca as I haven't heard otherwise.

Farnaby
November 25th, 2014, 08:38
Here's my xml file.

Sam Guerra
November 26th, 2014, 02:06
In case I get a spot here is my info

Victor
November 26th, 2014, 06:24
My Stuff.

cmdisc
November 26th, 2014, 07:34
Ok, thanks for these. Just waiting on kwarner to post his. Sam has the 1st standby slot. If someone feels they can't make it, let us know ASAP so Sam knows to show.

Because this is a 3-parter, it would be ideal (although not necessary) to try and stick with the same people all the way through. For Part 2 right now I'm looking at Dec 7th, 19th, 20th, and 21st as possible dates. We can discuss what does or doesn't work for everyone either Friday or post-game. Weekdays can work too for those of you who have a hard time making weekends. We'll hammer that out more as we go.

I plan to have the server up 2 hours before game-time. For those of you that feel you are still new to the controls, I will be available an hour before game to go over questions or even run you through some mock combat. :)

Victor
November 26th, 2014, 21:18
Any of those dates work for me, since I have no life but PFS these days.
It's really great having 3+ DMs running stuff all around the same time of day so that we usually get the same groups of players. I was talking to Xazil about you DMs getting together and coordinating times and days and I think you will get a chance to do that this weekend.
I love advancing Belteshazzar (Beltshazar) cause he is a monster, but also want to start up a Cleric and pay my non DPS dues, so count me in, as always, if anyone wants to run some lowbie stuff.

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2014, 21:25
Because this is a 3-parter, it would be ideal (although not necessary) to try and stick with the same people all the way through. For Part 2 right now I'm looking at Dec 7th, 19th, 20th, and 21st as possible dates. We can discuss what does or doesn't work for everyone either Friday or post-game. Weekdays can work too for those of you who have a hard time making weekends. We'll hammer that out more as we go.The 7th is no good for me.. the 19th should be fine.. I have no idea about the 20th and 21st.. although weekends tend to be iffy for me. Depends on what my kids and girlfriend are doing.

Victor
November 26th, 2014, 21:43
Can't we play a "Save Santa Scenario" on Christmas? Forget the kids and family, Santa needs us!
:) My wife would love that.
I have a feeling that, like our favorite TV shows, things will be a bit on hold for most of us that weekend, I have a thing to go to then, but we play at Noon my time so it works out for me.

kwarner1986
November 26th, 2014, 21:45
19th and 20th are good for me. I run a game on Sundays, so no go on the 7th and 21st. Here is Rebecca's info. See you guys at game time.

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2014, 21:47
The 7th is a Sunday...

kwarner1986
November 26th, 2014, 21:52
Of course it's a Sunday. I'm just getting in character for Rebecca. ;)

Victor
November 26th, 2014, 21:55
Forgot to post my pic.

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2014, 22:05
Forgot to post my pic.One thing... always use square images in FG portraits... otherwise they get squashed or stretched.

xazil
November 26th, 2014, 22:13
For me right now the 7th is maybe. 19 and 20 should be fine. 21st is a Monday for me so usually I am at work, but this close to Christmas I may be free if that is a day highly desired by others.

For those overlapping into my games I will be probably looking more at Saturdays (for US/Eu times) but will post up in my thread about these.

Victor
November 26th, 2014, 23:40
One thing... always use square images in FG portraits... otherwise they get squashed or stretched.

"Honey, does this Avatar make my *** look fat?"
Thanks for the heads up. :)

cmdisc
November 27th, 2014, 11:02
Pre-fillable attached. For those that need their Chronicles ASAP, try to get this to me before game. Then I can fill everything out right afterwards and get it back to you before I crash for the night. Everyone else can return them at their earliest convenience.

Farnaby
November 27th, 2014, 12:33
And here's my picture and the chronicle:

Victor
November 27th, 2014, 23:32
Pre Chronicle. I noted my intention to buy a cloak with 2PP at game end.
Thanks for doing these up early :)

Oops, I cant buy that with 2PP, so change that to 1000 GP instead. I still want the cloak. Thanks.

xazil
November 28th, 2014, 05:32
Here is my pre-chronicle as I will need likely need Janek by the following day. Currently not planning on buying anything but will likely use up wand charges and consumables to note on the sheet.

Also his picture. :)

HoloGnome
November 28th, 2014, 12:29
Attached is Zan's Pre-Chronicle - I am in the ASAP group. Thx!

Victor - you can't purchase a +1 cloak of resistance for 2PP. They are 1,000gp and the max purchase for 2PP is items up to 750gp (may not be combined with actual gp).

cmdisc
November 28th, 2014, 18:07
Well there haven't been any cancellations, so I'm expecting a full table.

Sam, feel free to hang around if in case someone is an unexpected no-show, but I'm guessing you'll have to catch the next set of runs.

Server is up.

kwarner1986
November 28th, 2014, 18:15
See you guys soon.

Blackfoot
November 28th, 2014, 18:17
The game isn't for another hour and 45 mins right?

cmdisc
November 28th, 2014, 19:01
Correct. The session begins in 1 hour from now.

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 02:08
Great game - thx!

cmdisc
November 29th, 2014, 02:50
Hope you had a good time. Amazing how a wall stumped you, but you managed to carve through anything that moved. Attached are 3 of the signed Chronicles. The other 3 will follow shortly. If I have something wrong (entirely possible considering the hour I'm posting these), let me know and I can get the corrections to you within the next 12 hours.

Edit: removed these pdf's to save space

cmdisc
November 29th, 2014, 02:52
Here are the other 3 Chronicles. Same deal. Let me know if anything needs changing.

Edit: removed pdf's here too.

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 03:37
Hi -

Attached is my updated chronicle sheet. There were a few issues:
- Alchemist's Fire is 20gp vs. 50gp
- Used 1 Flask Oil
- Only used 1 Infernal Healing charge (sorry if I made a mistake in my notes - edit -- I see - I copied the line twice by accident - sorry)
- I replaced the inventory items so that I might not need a pre-chronicle

Thanks!

HG

Victor
November 29th, 2014, 04:51
Thanks again cmdisc, this was a fun game! Thanks for getting the chronicles out so quickly too. Mine is fine. I haven't been tracking the uses of my wands or quaffs of my potions on the Chronicle, but have been subtracting them on my Char sheet as I go. Should I start doing that?

Blackfoot
November 29th, 2014, 04:54
Looks good. Thanks for running.

Are you going to start a new thread for the next session or should I post my updated character file here?

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 05:11
Victor - You don't have to track those things. I just like doing it so that I can see where I used things and how much I used, etc. It's just data for character building and/or PP purchases.

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 05:27
For all those interested, on Reduce Person, all the effect text is needed. CMB/CMD do not work correctly unless they are explicity noted (CMB:-1 size;CMD:-1 size;) . Well...the "size" may not be necessary as a qualifier, but it works correctly.

Blackfoot
November 29th, 2014, 05:33
This spell causes instant diminution of a humanoid creature, halving its height, length, and width and dividing its weight by 8. This decrease changes the creature's size category to the next smaller one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Dexterity, a –2 size penalty to Strength (to a minimum of 1), and a +1 bonus on attack rolls and AC due to its reduced size.

A Small humanoid creature whose size decreases to Tiny has a space of 2-1/2 feet and a natural reach of 0 feet (meaning that it must enter an opponent's square to attack). A Large humanoid creature whose size decreases to Medium has a space of 5 feet and a natural reach of 5 feet. This spell doesn't change the target's speed.

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly reduced by the spell.

Melee and projectile weapons deal less damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any reduced item that leaves the reduced creature's possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them).

Multiple magical effects that reduce size do not stack. Reduce person counters and dispels enlarge person.

Reduce person can be made permanent with a permanency spell.I'm not sure where in there you are seeing any CMD/CMB penalties.

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 08:15
The penalites occur because of the change in strength. Maybe this issue is actually a FG bug. Logically, if strength changes, then CMB/CMD should also change to match, but that's not what I was seeing when I tested it.

cmdisc
November 29th, 2014, 08:21
Hi -

Attached is my updated chronicle sheet. There were a few issues:
- Alchemist's Fire is 20gp vs. 50gp
- Used 1 Flask Oil
- Only used 1 Infernal Healing charge (sorry if I made a mistake in my notes - edit -- I see - I copied the line twice by accident - sorry)
- I replaced the inventory items so that I might not need a pre-chronicle

Thanks!

HG

Yeah, someone before you had purchases Anti-Toxins and I had the 50gps on the brain apparently. I should know they're 20 each as I have an Alchemist who makes liberal use of them and Acid flasks to supplement his bombs.

I also had a total brain fart last night and a bit of a dyslexic-like moment regarding that cave fisher. I read its filament DR and reversed the resistance/susceptible nature of it in my head. It should have been vulnerable to slashing, not resistant to it. When Garbunkle used that club on it, I thought it sounded really odd, but I didn't look at the description again. Not sure why I did that. But it ended up the same in the end, so...

*shrug*

Edit: Pulled off the attached pdf to save space

cmdisc
November 29th, 2014, 08:26
The coding for things isn't perfect, but they do a really good job for most things. If anyone gets a chance to playtest it some more and it really is an issue, you can mention it in the House of Healing so the devs can get a look at it.

I will post a new discussion thread later for Part II so that this one doesn't become too cluttered.

Farnaby
November 29th, 2014, 15:52
That was great fun, thanks.

Any Idea why I can't get my xml file under manage characters?

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 16:22
Hi Farnaby - it should work. I just tried it to verify. Maybe you have Ninja Frostbite? ^_^

1. Click on Manage Characters
2. Find Quest for Perfection Part I in the list
3. Double-click the QfP entry
4. Open the character window (perhaps after dismissing any script errors that may appear)
5. Click the brown pencil
6. Click the blue download arrow on your character and save away

Farnaby
November 29th, 2014, 16:27
Got it, it just wasn't there half an hour ago.

Thx - Tom

HoloGnome
November 29th, 2014, 17:09
Farnaby: Maybe your xml was using Ninja Vanishing Trick on you. :D Just something to consider.

Regarding the question of the correct effect text for Reduce Person, I did some additional testing and the best effect text is as follows:

Reduce Person; STR:-2 size; DEX:2 size; ATK:1 size; AC:1 size;

I guess I was confused earlier - there is no problem. The only problem was that I was adding CMB/CMD which I shouldn't have been doing as Garbuncle correctly pointed out. I was missing the fact that the ATK and STR mods cancel each other out, so there is no effective change to CMB/CMD based on strength. However, Reduce/Enlarge person do not stack, so the bonuses should be typed to prevent stacking from accidental application of multiple effects. The combat tracker will reject multiple effects with the same primary label, but there may be more than one person applying things and the labels could be different.

So - with the above version, I think all is working as intended. Similarly, Enlarge Person should be:

Enlarge Person; STR:2 size; DEX:-2 size; ATK:-1 size; AC:-1 size;

Farnaby
November 29th, 2014, 20:50
Nope,
got it wrong, I still can't see last nights game in the list.

cmdisc
November 29th, 2014, 21:25
Here is Meredith's XML from yesterday's game.

cmdisc
November 30th, 2014, 11:07
Attached is Belteshazzar's corrected Chronicle. If anyone has any last minute issues with theirs, let me know.

I'll be reporting the event shortly.

Edit: Removed attached pdf to save space.

Victor
December 1st, 2014, 02:39
Thanks Hole of Gnome and cmdisc, I would not have thought of that. Thanks also Holo for putting me first in the scribe order :), nice guy.

Better start thinking of how to make fun of my next character's name, Coburn.
He is going to be a Human WarPriest, Tall, thin, Salt and Pepper gray hair, Steely Blue eyes.. He looks a bit like... umm.. James Coburn. :)

HoloGnome
December 1st, 2014, 06:40
Don't worry, I have already pilfered it from you, even though I can't cast it. Best 40 gold I'll never see again.

cmdisc
December 1st, 2014, 16:39
I have reported the event to Paizo. You should see the session listed under your characters. If you do not, let me know and I'll see what I can edit.

I've also started a new thread to discuss the timing of Part II. Feel free to leave comments there.