PDA

View Full Version : Map units

oginostok
November 15th, 2014, 16:55
Hello everybody I'm a newbie of FG2 and I came over a big issue.

I've searched everywhere ( wikia, video tutorials, forum) but I didn't find where (and how) to change the map scale from feets to meters, kilometers etc.
Can anyone help me?

Thank a lot!

Andraax
November 15th, 2014, 17:03
In most rulesets there is an option for the length of the grid. If you want to use 1 meter squares, then set this length to "1" and create a square grid. After that, measurements on the movement lines, targeting arrows, etc. - while they might still have the " ' " after them to denote feet - will be in meters.

Basically, the unit you set will be what is measured for each square (or hex) of distance - what unit this represents is up to you.

Trenloe
November 15th, 2014, 17:33
Each ruleset will have a scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua file. within this file will be a function getDistanceUnitsPerGrid() function that returns a number. For example, for 3.5E it is coded as return 5; for 5 units per grid. You would have to change this function in the ruleset/s you're using to change the measurement units per grid square.

As Andraax says, just ignore the ' after the measurement.

oginostok
November 15th, 2014, 17:37
so I have to change only in the ruleset file? What if I have different scales? Like for example I have a dungeon map (where the scale will be 1.5m per box) and a travelling map (where it will be 15km per hex)?

Trenloe
November 15th, 2014, 18:02
so I have to change only in the ruleset file? What if I have different scales? Like for example I have a dungeon map (where the scale will be 1.5m per box) and a travelling map (where it will be 15km per hex)?
See my post above.

oginostok
November 15th, 2014, 18:39
function getDistanceUnitsPerGrid()
return 1.5;
end

So I've put this into the file but apparently nothing has changed.. What am I doing wrong?

Trenloe
November 15th, 2014, 20:36
Did you edit scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua in the 3.5e.pak ruleset file? Did you make sure the edited file was updated correctly back into the 3.5e.pak file?

Some info on modifying a ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19033-Modifying-the-3-5e-PFRPG-ruleset

oginostok
November 15th, 2014, 21:14
Did you edit scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua in the 3.5e.pak ruleset file? Did you make sure the edited file was updated correctly back into the 3.5e.pak file?

Some info on modifying a ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19033-Modifying-the-3-5e-PFRPG-ruleset

yes I did.

Open the pak as rar
edited the file manager_gamesystem
made again a rar and changed as pak
Fantasy ground opened it (so I think it worked)

I think I done all correctly right?

oginostok
November 15th, 2014, 21:15

yes I did.

Open the pak as rar
edited the file manager_gamesystem
made again a rar and changed as pak
Fantasy ground opened it (so I think it worked)

I think I done all correctly right?

oginostok
November 17th, 2014, 10:00
So I've found a solution and maybe some others users can use it. You have to change what Trenloe said

return 1.5;
end

and also inside the root of the ruleset you will find gameelements.xml there you have to change

<distance>
<base>1.5</base>
<diagmult>1.5</diagmult>
<suffix>'</suffix>
</distance>

to have the distance in 1.5 meters per grid

Ikael
November 17th, 2014, 11:27
So I've found a solution and maybe some others users can use it. You have to change what Trenloe said

return 1.5;
end

and also inside the root of the ruleset you will find gameelements.xml there you have to change

<distance>
<base>1.5</base>
<diagmult>1.5</diagmult>
<suffix>'</suffix>
</distance>

to have the distance in 1.5 meters per grid

Why not set <suffix>m</suffix>
so it would show 1.5m instead of 1.5'

in Savage Worlds ruleset there is feature where you can set different scale for each map and personally I found it very useful.

oginostok
November 17th, 2014, 12:30
in Savage Worlds ruleset there is feature where you can set different scale for each map and personally I found it very useful.

For our old 3.5 geek it would be great if you could do this inside FG for every map! :)