PDA

View Full Version : LFG running low fantasy

thehorrors
November 11th, 2014, 17:31
hello
i know it's a long shot but would love to try and find a game where magic is rare to non existent. a grim place where combat is not to be taken lightly the moment you let your guard down you could be run through by a lowly brigand and left to rot on the side of a trail. life is cheap and the term hero is alien. sounds like a nice place to visit eh? i'm EST keeping fingers crossed

CrimsonCrust
November 11th, 2014, 20:14
Man. That sounds like a horror.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2014, 20:59
Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play is pretty grim - in fact, it used to advertise itself as "A grim world of perilous adventure" (I don't know if it still does) and I always like the low fantasy feel of it. There's a game looking for players here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22341-LFP-for-WFRP3-Group-Tired-of-endless-D-amp-D-Pathfinder-Games-Look-no-further

thehorrors
November 11th, 2014, 22:04
thank you for the lead.

GunnarGreybeard
November 11th, 2014, 23:45
Sounds like HarnMaster but sadly there is no ruleset. Maybe RoleMaster but just pull out the magic stuff?

seycyrus
November 12th, 2014, 00:04
Sounds like GURPS to me. Specifically a world where Unusual Background is needed to become a mage.

Dr_Babylon
November 12th, 2014, 04:23
Would Iron Heroes fit parameters of such austerity? A focus on martial maneuvers and overcoming physical challenges a la Conan the Barbarian, if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure there ain't a lot of healing magic floating around there either.

noelyuk
November 12th, 2014, 13:57
As Trenloe said the game you are describing fits the Warhammer World perfectly. "A grim place where combat is not to be taken lightly?" Check. "The moment you let your guard down you could be run through by a lowly brigand?" Check. In fact Warhammer checks all the boxes and though there is magic it's rare in comparison to many other fantasy systems and certainly DnD where every man and his dog wields a +5 magic item.

When are you looking to play 'thehorrors'? The game Trenloe referred you to is mine. We're probably at full capacity at the moment but peoples schedules being what they are our turnover is quite high so if you're interested it's worth letting me know and if you're really keen I may have room for a little one if you breathe in ;)

Oh and Trenloe. The 'Grim & Perilous' monicker has been tweaked but still applies :)

https://i58.tinypic.com/otnbqt.jpg

If my game gets too full I may also consider running a 2nd session. I know, I know some of us just can't get enough of Grim and Perilous Adventure :)

Valarian
November 12th, 2014, 14:36
Apart from the "life is cheap and the term hero is alien" part, The One Ring would also suit your description as a low-magic fantasy setting. Middle-earth may be a little less grim than Warhammer's Known World.

thehorrors
November 12th, 2014, 17:32
sent pm noelyuk

kane280484
November 13th, 2014, 13:55
Apart from the "life is cheap and the term hero is alien" part, The One Ring would also suit your description as a low-magic fantasy setting. Middle-earth may be a little less grim than Warhammer's Known World.Yeah, but Middle-Earth is heroic fantasy, thus I think he meant sth more like Warhammer... Which btw, in my opinion, is heroic as well, just dark.

thehorrors
November 13th, 2014, 17:40
Thanks everyone for the suggestions Noelyuk has hooked me up. What dire future awaits me? I cant wait to find out

Lysander
November 14th, 2014, 04:17
Savage Worlds, Daring Tales of Chivalry series is a possible option...