PDA

View Full Version : network error during host license check

Kelendor
November 10th, 2014, 06:55
One of my players is getting a "network error during host license check" and we aren't sure why. If we completely disable the firewall it works, but with it up it fails with that error. What ports and what IP/domains need to be allowed in the firewall?

damned
November 10th, 2014, 14:43
disable WHAT firewall?
possibly his software firewall is blocking network communications from FantasyGrounds.exe
whitelist that plus FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and UpdaterEnginer.exe and retry

Kelendor
November 11th, 2014, 21:50
The local firewall has them all whitelisted (and we even tried turning it off) We have a firewall/router combo that might be interfering. If I disable the firewall portion of the router it works but when it is up it fails. I need an IP or a domain to whitelist (or is it a port problem?)

damned
November 11th, 2014, 22:30
the hardware firewall isnt aware of the FG protocol in that place.

I dont know what ports/protocols FG uses for License Check - I have pinged support and hopefully they can respond to you here with some more info.

Also - disabling the firewall isnt leaving your computer completely unprotected but it is lower protection. The firewall service looks more closely at packets coming and going and if it doesnt recognise the pattern/structure it may block it.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2014, 22:42
There is an outgoing request that Free versions of FG need to make in order to verify that the host is running a valid Ultimate version. That error message is stating that the network connection for verification is failing for some reason. Usually, network connection failures are tied to a firewall blocking outgoing HTTP/HTTPS requests to the fantasygrounds.com servers.

Regards,
JPG

fylith
February 15th, 2015, 21:27
that's nice moon wizard but you left out how to FIX this issue.

damned
February 15th, 2015, 21:35

Hi fylith welcome aboard.
generally the free version needs to be able to visit the https://www.fantasygrounds.com/ website via http/https to perform a license check against the Ultimate license holders license.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/fg-con-6-150-5.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 6 – April 17-19th 2015 - register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

Trenloe
February 16th, 2015, 02:08
If you continuously get the error mentioned in post #1 then check your firewall settings - some third party firewalls may be blocking communication to fantasygrounds.com (as mentioned by M_W above). Also, if you have some website surfing restrictions (either you have an app or your internet provider does this for you) then you may be struggling - some website blockers might see "fantasy" in the name and block connectivity. So, check your firewall, security and safe surfing software; and see if your ISP is providing a "service" for safe surfing that is blocking access.

LoStBoyz
May 23rd, 2015, 16:39
Hi, I'm having some problems with external players with demo programs connecting to my ultimate FG. They keep getting "Network error during host license check".
I have port forwarded 1802 in my router to my host PC.
I can get external IP from within FG.
I can successfully Test Connection within FG
I can connect using localhost running another instance of FG.
I can successfully run a demo FG from another PC and connect to the host PC.
BUT none of my friends can connect externally via internet even with the router firewall turned off. My router model is Asus RT-N56U.
Please help!

damned
May 23rd, 2015, 17:05
Hi, I'm having some problems with external players with demo programs connecting to my ultimate FG. They keep getting "Network error during host license check".
I have port forwarded 1802 in my router to my host PC.
I can get external IP from within FG.
I can successfully Test Connection within FG
I can connect using localhost running another instance of FG.
I can successfully run a demo FG from another PC and connect to the host PC.
BUT none of my friends can connect externally via internet even with the router firewall turned off. My router model is Asus RT-N56U.
Please help!

can your players visit this website? if they cant get to this website the license check will likely fail.

LoStBoyz
May 23rd, 2015, 17:32
Yes, they can.

can your players visit this website? if they cant get to this website the license check will likely fail.

Larac
May 24th, 2015, 01:48
Just guessing here,
These might help.

Be sure everyone is Updated, just in case.

Also check settings, ,make sure Live is checked
So everyone is using the same version.

If they have accounts on FG have them type that user name and update that again, I had it once lose that data and cause issues.

Good luck I know how frustrating it can be when it all looks like it should be working.

damned
May 24th, 2015, 02:59
can anyone successfully connect to your game from outside?

LoStBoyz
May 24th, 2015, 03:02
Thanks Larac will try your suggestion later. It is frustrating as I have hosted many many static servers for games and this stumped me.

Just guessing here,
These might help.

Be sure everyone is Updated, just in case.

Also check settings, ,make sure Live is checked
So everyone is using the same version.

If they have accounts on FG have them type that user name and update that again, I had it once lose that data and cause issues.

Good luck I know how frustrating it can be when it all looks like it should be working.

Larac
May 24th, 2015, 03:43
Drop me a msg If I am on I will try and connect, that will at least be more data.

LoStBoyz
May 24th, 2015, 03:44
Unfortunately no. I will setup another PC on a different network and try it myself. Hard to see the problem from the host end....

can anyone successfully connect to your game from outside?

damned
May 24th, 2015, 04:23
sent you a PM

LoStBoyz
May 24th, 2015, 10:19
Ok. I've setup a free FG app in my laptop, connect to Internet via my phone's data line....it works! I can log into my FG host just fine.

Looks like the problem lies in all of my player's PC/Laptop/router.... Sigh....

damned
May 24th, 2015, 11:05
LoStBoyz let me help you find the issue...

LoStBoyz
May 24th, 2015, 12:21
Hi Damned, the problem lies on my friend's PC, not mine from the looks of it.

Wonder the license check needs a port forwarding on the client end...

damned
May 24th, 2015, 12:53
Hi Damned, the problem lies on my friend's PC, not mine from the looks of it.

Wonder the license check needs a port forwarding on the client end...

No - no port forwarding required on the client end.
Try disable AV and/or AV firewall on friends PC - some AV programs wont recognise FG executables and may be blocking them from doing the license check.