PDA

View Full Version : Videos WIP Thread

Xorn
November 8th, 2014, 15:17
Quick update on 5E D&D @ FG videos.

Just finished the rough cut of the Player Quickstart... it clocked in at 54 minutes. Ugh. I think I'll break it up into three sections and make a YouTube playlist with it. It's basically Creating a Character, Playing the Game, and Spells/Effects.

Adding captions and comments now.

Xorn
November 8th, 2014, 23:34
The first video is up on YouTube. I'll add the next one to the playlist tomorrow, and will be DM-centric.

5E @ FG Playlist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80a8xuONrj0&list=PLePiBJtKmjLn5IzhpakEcVqAHoYfezZbe)

Xorn
November 9th, 2014, 00:12
So much I want to cover and so little time!

Mistamichal
November 9th, 2014, 00:29
Youtube says "No...."

The video is private.

dberkompas
November 9th, 2014, 01:38
Odd, it was working for me 15 mins ago, and now it says private.

I did enjoy the first couple mins that I got to watch before I had to take a phone call.

jh79
November 9th, 2014, 07:24
Yep, says private, looking forward to the new Par5e parse vids for adventures.

alfarobl
November 9th, 2014, 17:40
It worked for a while... was able to check it, said current version was 3.0.9 but I only got 3.0.8 running. But information to newcomer like me was amazing good! Wish I watched it till the end... just skipped after some minutes to be able to watch it carefully but when I returned the video was private. Maybe that release had some issues and new version is going to be uploaded? Hope he does... video was great help!

Xorn
November 9th, 2014, 19:34
Oh... oops I have the TEST version installed. Duh. Well there's a glitch with the Party Sheet in 3.0.8 so it's better if I put 3.0.9 anyway.

The next video (Behind the DM Screen) is finished and rendering--then expect an hour to get it up to YouTube at least. It's another 52 minute one, but I'm really not sure what I could cut.

And sorry about the private thing. I fixed it.

I'm doing the prep work for Adventure Building now (making an adventure module by exporting a campaign), and then last I'm doing the PAR5E adventure building video to go with the PAR5E Tutorial that's already up. I'll add them all to this YouTube playlist now that it's letting me upload long videos finally.

Mistamichal
November 9th, 2014, 19:56
Excellent! Thanks, Xorn. :)

Xorn
November 9th, 2014, 23:59
Behind the DM Screen is uploaded to the playlist, but it's still processing, so only playing at low-definition.

alfarobl
November 11th, 2014, 12:31
Thanks a lot! Found I could install FG 3.0.9 selecting TEST inside settings. Your videos are a huge help to me and others I am sure...

Xorn
November 11th, 2014, 17:25
Glad to hear it. I've got the recording for "Adventure Building" done, but I haven't assembled it all yet or rendered it. Will probably be Friday before it's up. After that I'm going to do Adventure Building w/ PAR5E. Then finish off with an example of play video. My old 4E Adventure Building module is pretty much identical though, so it's quite usable.

shemantis
November 15th, 2014, 00:29
Any chance you've got 5e Effects in any of the newest/upcoming videos? I didn't catch it in the "Behind the DM screen" one, but didn't watch the player version (yet).
I've got a few written up, but I could really use an "expert" example.
Your videos are really the best.

Xorn
November 15th, 2014, 02:04
I demonstrated quite a few effects in the Player Quickstart. If folks think it would be helpful, I can make a quick video showing how to implement a multitude of effects (trying to cover all the ones documented on the wiki).

On another note, the Adventure Building video is rendered and uploading to my YouTube channel now.

shemantis
November 15th, 2014, 02:07
I demonstrated quite a few effects in the Player Quickstart. If folks think it would be helpful, I can make a quick video showing how to implement a multitude of effects (trying to cover all the ones documented on the wiki).

On another note, the Adventure Building video is rendered and uploading to my YouTube channel now.

It would certainly be helpful to *me,* but I'm not sure one person counts as "folks," haha. Regardless,I will watch the player video, because it seems like it could help DMs, too.

Mistamichal
November 15th, 2014, 02:41
I would certainly be helpful to me, as well. Speaking of effects. With 5e still being very new for FG, is the only way to get effects into FG by manually entering everything based on the info in the wiki page, or is there an effects module, yet?

Xorn
November 15th, 2014, 03:25
I'll see about putting together a set of Effects examples for 5E FG.

The Adventure Building video is up!

Mistamichal
November 15th, 2014, 04:48
Great video! I've learned that I've definitely been doing it the long way round for my HotDQ module. I think I'll wait for you next tutorial just so I can try parsing it.

Thegroo
November 16th, 2014, 00:58
Thank you very much for the great work.
You videos helped me a lot to understand FG

El Condoro
November 16th, 2014, 06:55
Your videos are excellent, Xorn. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into them. The music was a nice change from that usually included in YouTube videos, too. :)
One thing I really liked was your use of hand-drawn maps. I use Campaign and Dungeon Cartographer, but I love the effect of a hand-drawn map or other image. Anyway, great work - thanks.

Xorn
November 16th, 2014, 14:25
Thank you--but I can't take credit for the maps--those came with the PDF for the adventure module. I do really like how they looked though, and I plan on using them from time to time. The music was just a schtick I started with the PAR5E tutorial when fast-forwarding though... :)

Xorn
November 18th, 2014, 01:59
So... I was outlining what I wanted to record for the PAR5E Adventure Module tutorial, and decided to just record my screen while building a module (DDEX1-7 Drums in the Marsh) from scratch (like... NO prep-work done beforehand--I haven't even read the module!).

Took me 83 minutes to make the whole thing, including a map, tokens, and cleaning up PAR5E warnings, plus fixing an encounter link at the very end.

Then... for some reason I thought it might be fun to speed the clip up to 4:20 seconds, which is the play time of Space Lanes - Dungeons & Dragons (19x speed), then turn on SmartFocus (so the 1280x720 view moves around my 1920x1200 recording to focus on what is moving).

I called the video "4 Minute Prep Time", and it's uploading to YouTube now. I'm going to link it when it's done--for no reason other than I got a kick out of it. The actual PAR5E Adventure video will probably come out this coming Friday or Saturday, when I can sit down and narrate what I'm doing, add callout text, and cut out stuff to shorten the video.

Mistamichal
November 18th, 2014, 02:28
I should have a great tutorial to watch on the weekend, then :)

Xorn
November 18th, 2014, 03:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJ8rGxDEZk&list=UUmlMwM9IZb5e85ziAqIITEQ

I'm retarded.