PDA

View Full Version : FantasyCraft?

Firgof
November 5th, 2014, 20:59
I've been waiting for whatt seems like forever for FantasyCraft support in FG (since FG1 for GURPS support though I see it's finally arrived in a limited capacity).
Still haven't heard any whispers of it or any potential designs for its inclusions (outside the two times it was brought up and nothing came of it), so:

How difficult would it be to get CoreRPG to work like FantasyCraft?
I'm mainly interested in using it as an offline aid for the group I'm GMing for; a place to keep all my notes, perform quick dice throws, and whatnot.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2014, 21:20
FantasyCraft is a d20 derivative, right? At least according to RPG.net it is: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15578.phtml

Can you not use the 3.5e (d20) ruleset that is included with Fantasy Grounds for at least some of the functionality you're looking for?

What offline aid functionality are you looking for? If it's just keeping notes and making dice throws then you'll be able to use CoreRPG - but the 3.5e ruleset will probably be more better aligned to a d20 based RPG.

Also, FYI - the GURPS ruleset has been around for a number of years (longer than I've been using Fantasy Grounds). The "limited capacity" is due to Steve Jackson Games placing rigid restrictions on how much of GURPS you can automate on a computer platform - basically, no automation.

Firgof
November 5th, 2014, 21:29
Aye, I'm aware of the restrictions SJG requires to the system's detriment (what an unholy amount of work it was to do things like design rules-abiding spaceships in 4E without complimentary software) - wasn't ever expecting an official product to come out.
I've been lurking for a very long time, yes. Since the early days of FG1, really. Back when I was using OpenRPG as my mainstay because there wasn't much to speak of for alternatives at the time.

Keeping notes, making maps, tracking initiative and simplifying NPC damage saves, storing my story and making/using random tables, etc. - that's what I'm after.

D20 products can be integrated into Mastercraft (there are given rules and guidelines for doing so) but it's not a perfect fit. I'll give them a shot but I'd much prefer all the niceities that come with having it as an actual ruleset/module (such as proper character sheets which are pre-formatted and so forth).

Edit: Having given it a quick appraisal, I'm not sure 3.5 would be a great fit for me. For one, the skills are quite different between the systems and there's a lot of 'fat' so to speak if I were to use it (no such thing as Tumble, UMD, UR, Speak Language, etc.) and the concepts of combat (e.g. AC versus Defense, HD versus Damage Saves, etc.) are different between the two (though thankfully not D&D 2nd vs. 3.5 different). That said, I can work with it if I must - but given the amount of footnotes I'd need to make for myself it'd probably be wiser to just stick with CoreRPG for the time being. It'll require more setup work but I won't have to spend near as much time interpreting 3.5 conventions into FC's.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2014, 21:45
OK, now that you mention character sheets you won't have a perfect fit. But it still has a lot of similarities.

But, I'd say give it a go. If you don't have a copy of Fantasy Grounds you can download the free demo and you can start a new 3.5e campaign and play around to see what you can and can't do. The only thing with the free demo version is that when you exit your data isn't saved (you need to get a license for that), so don't go entering lots of data while testing on the demo.

Watch some of the videos available to see what generic Fantasy Grounds can do and the 3.5e ruleset (watching videos on Pathfinder will also cover 99.9% of the 3.5e ruleset functionality). Find some videos here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos

Firgof
November 5th, 2014, 21:47
I do have a full license so entering data isn't my worry - I just want to make sure that whatever I pick I stick with. Copying information from one campaign module to another in FG2 has always been pretty painful for me and never as easy as I think it would be going in. If there is going to be a FC module popping up in the next couple of weeks then I'd probably hold off until it releases. If not then I guess I'll just have to settle for now and hope someone comes to my rescue later on.

(On that matter I really hope that some day FG2 will allow GMs to create Library modules without having to break out an XML/Text editor - that's one thing that's always held me back from really embracing FG as I love to make homebrew races, classes, equipment, spells, and so forth)

Trenloe
November 5th, 2014, 21:56
If there is going to be a FC module popping up in the next couple of weeks then I'd probably hold off until it releases.
Not that I know of - and definitely not in the next couple of weeks, so I wouldn't hang around waiting.

damned
November 6th, 2014, 01:36
Firgoff - make a blank CoreRPG campaign and Import these 2 character sheets and click on a few things to see what they do or dont do...

Bajar is a first run DCC character sheet and the other is a starter for DungeonWorld.