PDA

View Full Version : PFS #29 The Devil We Know Part 1 - Shipyard Rats - 14/11/14 7pm UTC

xazil
November 4th, 2014, 00:26
A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st to 7th level characters (Tiers: 1–2, 3–4, and 6–7).

When simultaneous kidnappings of Pathfinder and Aspis Consortium agents rock Cassomir's Imperial Naval Shipyards, the Society orders you to join forces with hated Aspis agents to solve the mystery. Can you work together with the enemies of the Society to uncover the source of the kidnappings, or will you perish in the shipyards of Cassomir?

This is part 1 of a 4 part PFS series which I will be running over the next month or so.

Please post your XML/chronicles or if a new character the starting money, faction and PFS number here.

Calendar signups here - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1295

Blackfoot
November 4th, 2014, 02:32
I've played the 1st 2 in this series.. what are the 3rd and 4th parts?

xazil
November 4th, 2014, 02:36
They are all from the first season of PFS.

The Devil We Know series is:
PFS#29 Part 1 - Shipyard Rats
PFS#30 Part 2 - Cassomir's Locker
PFS#41 Part 3 - Crypt of Fools
PFS#48 Part 4 - Rules of the Swift

Trenloe
November 4th, 2014, 02:40
This is a fun series. It might be a good idea to include what FG license you have so players with a free license will know if they can join or not.

d1wright
November 4th, 2014, 02:41
I'm interested and have the slot free but I'll see how the game fills up.

xazil
November 4th, 2014, 02:46
This is a fun series. It might be a good idea to include what FG license you have so players with a free license will know if they can join or not.

Added to my signature.

kwarner1986
November 4th, 2014, 03:21
I would be interested in playing, but I don't think I can since I ran part 1 as a Level 2 character am I right on this?

Blackfoot
November 4th, 2014, 03:23
This one is not replayable.. you can run it as a GM and play it as well.. or use a GM star to replay it... (if you really like it enough for that).. but otherwise you can't replay it for credit.

Victor
November 4th, 2014, 03:26
I'm in!
Level 2 Elf Magus of Great Renown!
I have a Composite +1 Strength Longbow that's using a disguise kit to look like a Crossbow and give my enemies false confidence in how long it will take me to shoot. Only problem is, it sometimes fools even me.
Xazil has all my info already. I am in.

kwarner1986
November 4th, 2014, 03:27
I'll wait patiently for Part 2.

Throws a silent fit.

HoloGnome
November 4th, 2014, 04:08
While Rebecca has a seizure, Zan steps over her writhing body to sign his name on the list. And I expect we will end up at Victor's house in Part 3. :D

Carog the Fat
November 4th, 2014, 07:36
Looking low tier hsve a lvl 6 0r 1

Metzik
November 4th, 2014, 08:39
I'm interested with my lvl 1 barbarian. How long are the oneshots supposed to be (depending on the amount of chatter, I know...)?

Farnaby
November 4th, 2014, 11:32
I'm in.
I'm away from home, but I'll borrow a laptop from someone and take my headphones and hope that I find an internet connection.

Be prepared to face the wrath of Nenna!
(lvl 2 witch)

xazil
November 4th, 2014, 12:22
The Pathfinder Scenarios are generally made to last 5ish hours although table chatter and RP can extend them out sometimes. The Fantasy grounds learning instructions often will add some time also.

Sometimes they can be quite quick although if the party is inventive or uses skills successfully to avoid combat or gain information. I think the fastest one I've personally been in took only a little over two hours. The Glass River Rescue took a while because of the extra RP and because everyone mentioned that they were good timewise and it seemed everyone was enjoying it.

Carog the Fat
November 4th, 2014, 19:09
going to use an occult character to play test i think and redo my lvl 1 with 2 exp for it

xazil
November 4th, 2014, 22:57
going to use an occult character to play test i think and redo my lvl 1 with 2 exp for it

Sure, that's no problem although if you can get me you files in time to review properly would be appreciated.

When I read the document I was wondering how long it would take kinetists to start turning up as they look very cool.

d1wright
November 4th, 2014, 23:54
Looks like we're all 1-2 Tier so I'll join with a 1st level Cleric or Erastil, Grace Husker.

Carog the Fat
November 5th, 2014, 00:20
yes a kinetist pretty simple at lvl1 really

Farnaby
November 5th, 2014, 01:26
Okay, here are the files for Nenna:

As usual, remove the .xml from the .hlfg file.

And here is a link to my inventory tracking if needed. Inventory (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aii37alIzB4rdEliWWtOQU12b1pvTGJ1U29CdllwW nc&usp=sharing)

d1wright
November 5th, 2014, 02:55

xazil
November 5th, 2014, 09:23
I'ved expanded out the calendar signup to include the second scenario in the set, hopefully we can continue through the 4 scenarios with the one basic group.

We do have a request from kwarner86 to come along as an extra on the second scenario only as well if people are okay with that.

Blackfoot
November 6th, 2014, 06:49
I am still interested in playing the 3rd and 4th scenarios.

xazil
November 7th, 2014, 05:52
Going by who has put their name in first, limiting the party size to 6 and assuming people generally want to play through the series I have.

Scenario
One
Two
Three
Four

Blackfoot
Sorcerer/Necromancer
X
X

d1wright
Cleric

kwarner86
Cleric
X
X
X

Victor
Magus

Holognome
Rogue/Wizard

Carog
Kinetist

Metzik
Barbarian

Farnaby
Witch
S
S
S

Sam Guerra
Barbarian
S
S
S
S

Average Party Level

Sub-tier

1-2
1-2
3-4
3-4

The number is the character level. X = Not playing. S = Standby.

Comments or corrections?

Carog the Fat
November 7th, 2014, 18:11
my kinetist hit 2 is going to be 2 -3- 3 -4 more likely

HoloGnome
November 8th, 2014, 01:22
Only 1XP/adventure?

Blackfoot
November 8th, 2014, 05:23
That is generally how it works for scenarios... some larger modules give 3.. but generally take multiple sessions to complete.

HoloGnome
November 8th, 2014, 07:10
L1 of Emerald Spire was 3XP, but it seemed like a normal length adventure - 4-ish hrs. 3XP, 4PP and Landrush. Guess they beefed it up.

Metzik
November 9th, 2014, 13:20
A bit late, but I signed up on the calendar today. Is this going to be weekly for all four parts? Going to tweak the sheet a bit before I post it. Do you get any ranks on lvl 1 or do you get them at lvl 2? When I open FG II and look in the library, "only" thing there are the basic rules. Do I have to buy the 3.5/pathfinder rules etc if I want more and can I import them to the FG II PFS library?

Farnaby
November 9th, 2014, 15:30
I'm in for all of them.

Going by who has put their name in first, limiting the party size to 6 and assuming people generally want to play through the series I have.

Scenario
One
Two
Three
Four

Blackfoot
Sorcerer/Necromancer
X
X

d1wright
Cleric

kwarner86
Cleric
X
X
X

Victor
Magus

Holognome
Rogue/Wizard

Carog
Kinetist

Metzik
Barbarian

Farnaby
Witch
S
S
S

Sam Guerra
Barbarian
S
S
S
S

Average Party Level

Sub-tier

1-2
1-2
3-4
3-4

The number is the character level. X = Not playing. S = Standby.

Comments or corrections?

Blackfoot
November 9th, 2014, 21:10
L1 of Emerald Spire was 3XP, but it seemed like a normal length adventure - 4-ish hrs. 3XP, 4PP and Landrush. Guess they beefed it up.I haven't played or run that one but something sounds wrong there. That's not how it is supposed to work.

xazil
November 9th, 2014, 21:23
I think its more that the start of the module up to the first level of the superdungeon is considered to be "Level 1" then most levels below are a level each when you run them for PFS. But that being said only the actual small dungeon top itself is actually "PFS legal" so you get run throughs in a session where the DM starts things at the dungeon entrance and its considered a full repeatable Level 1 PFS module (3xp and 4PP).

xazil
November 9th, 2014, 21:34
A bit late, but I signed up on the calendar today. Is this going to be weekly for all four parts? Going to tweak the sheet a bit before I post it. Do you get any ranks on lvl 1 or do you get them at lvl 2? When I open FG II and look in the library, "only" thing there are the basic rules. Do I have to buy the 3.5/pathfinder rules etc if I want more and can I import them to the FG II PFS library?
You only gain ranks when you level (or gain an INT item which has its own set of rules).

When you play PFS you are supposed to own the book(s) you are using. For online PFS you can buy the PDFs through Paizo.com (who are convienently having a sale right now). There are reference sites like d20pfsrd and ArchivesOfNethys, but a GM can call upon to see your proof of purchase for any book you are using. Fantasy Grounds does expansion modules for getting rules in through it, but legally they are assume you already actually own the books too.

The basics are all in the core rulebook, but as you start adding feats/traits/archetypes etc you need to watch where they are coming from.

Blackfoot
November 9th, 2014, 21:39
You only gain ranks when you level (or gain an INT item which has its own set of rules).

When you play PFS you are supposed to own the book(s) you are using. For online PFS you can buy the PDFs through Paizo.com (who are convienently having a sale right now). There are reference sites like d20pfsrd and ArchivesOfNethys, but a GM can call upon to see your proof of purchase for any book you are using. Fantasy Grounds does expansion modules for getting rules in through it, but legally they are assume you already actually own the books too.

The basics are all in the core rulebook, but as you start adding feats/traits/archetypes etc you need to watch where they are coming from.
Also note that Society rules are a little different than the normal rules.. so you'll want to download the 'free' - Pathfinder Society Guide to Organized Play - as well... you'll find it on the paizo site.

xazil
November 9th, 2014, 21:40
I'm in for all of them.

I'd love to have everyone signed up along for them all but we currently have 9 people of which you were the 8th. Blackfoot and kwarner86 aren't along for the whole lot which lets in Metzik as 7th and yourself in on the first scenario. This scenario is an older one made for 4 characters and I can't in good conscience take the part size past 6 (which was my original number said).

On the positive side I now own an FG Ultimate license so if your short term license wears out you will be able to join in later games I run.

Blackfoot
November 9th, 2014, 21:43
I'll run 'The Confirmation' this week to give some of the lower level players an opportunity to get some starting XP in.

HoloGnome
November 10th, 2014, 01:20
re: Emerald Spire - xazil - if only the top part that we played is PFS-legal, then what is the point of spending PP on landrush if it's not possible to play the other levels and acquire additional land hexes? I guess I'm a little confused. Also, it doesn't really help that there aren't more clear specifications for the scenario rewards (XP, PP, faction boons, etc.) on the description pages or point-of-sale.

xazil
November 10th, 2014, 01:33
The other levels are PFS legal and you can do the whole megadungeon with one PFS legal character. But the dungeon starts on something like page 30 of the adventure, prior to the dungeon is a town and forest etc and backstory. What happened was Hawkwind skipped to the part that is PFS Legal - the dungeon. This makes it a very short 'module'.

Farnaby
November 11th, 2014, 16:48
So no game for me this Friday?

d1wright
November 11th, 2014, 17:32
Farnaby, please elaborate on your question.

I think you're asking if your character is somehow "disqualified" from being used Friday because of this Emerald Spire conversation.

You're probably fine but Xazil will have to take a look at your character to see if there are any "irregularities".

You could also check your Paizo account with Pathfinder to take a look at your character to see what's been credited to it. It's in the same spot where you first registered your PFS character for play.

Metzik
November 11th, 2014, 18:42
After long consideration, I've decided to withdraw from the game. I don't want to risk ruin any of the parts of the game if they should be long.

/Fred

xazil
November 11th, 2014, 21:12
Farnaby, you had a slot on this Friday. Even if Metzik stays in.

Metzik. I'm not sure what you mean by ruined by long. If you are talking playing time I would expect this session to take about a normal length PFS session which is around the 5th hour mark. Normally Ill ask at the start if people have time constraints and if they don't Ill let a session go long if people are enjoying themselves and RPing or asking questions etc. But all someone has to say is "I need to be done in about 5 hours" Ill do my best to make sure people get through it. If you mean the repeated sessions I was going to talk to people playing to try to get the sessions meeting most peoples available slots that I could.

Victor
November 11th, 2014, 23:09
Hey Metz!
If you are dropping out because you worry about holding us up or not being experienced enough, please reconsider. I enjoyed playing with you and I think you did a great job last adventure. You were a boon to the party and I would love to see you there again. If it's something else, then ok, I hope to see you in a game soon one way or another.
All the best
Vic/Dan/Belteshazzar

Farnaby
November 12th, 2014, 08:47
@Xaxil: Great, see you on Friday.

@Metzik: Yes, please stay, it was fun playing with you.

xazil
November 13th, 2014, 05:07
Can I please have peoples XML files and details? Most specifically Carog's, as I have either ones here or the previous games files for everyone else.

Carog the Fat
November 14th, 2014, 12:48
I will post it but at work. crazyweek getting ready for xmas. been non stop till late every day. home at 6 gmt

xazil
November 14th, 2014, 12:52
Server is up, got a copy of peoples characters if they want to double check things. Ill be back at keyboard before game time hopefully will see everyone then. Teamspeak per normal and server address is below.

Carog the Fat
November 14th, 2014, 18:21
at a loss how to post xml i am used to emailing them as files.

xazil
November 15th, 2014, 06:42
Here is the pre-chronicle please fill it in with your extra details and Ill get the chronicles out. Carog, could I grab your PFS# and last chronicle etc so I can get you your stuff before your Sunday game.

Carog the Fat
November 15th, 2014, 10:58
stuff sent thanks

Carog the Fat
November 15th, 2014, 10:59
Also awesome fight I felt like the whole party was made of wet lettuce. I was sure we were all going to die in the ship

Victor
November 15th, 2014, 11:26
It was a lot of fun today with you guys, that fight was insane!

I think we should set a time limit of like 4 hours on our games and either learn to play faster, or play these scenarios in more than one session, or both. It's a bit much to play all day long, especially when the days are shorter. I will work on playing faster and setting up more macros so I don't have to poke around my CS for simple rolls, and set up damage for my kickass spellstrike stuff.

See you guys next week!
Belte

Carog the Fat
November 15th, 2014, 12:14
I think 24 rounds of combat really slowed us down we need more focus fire. Hopefully I will be 3rd for the next one and I will finally begin to actually do some decent damage as the class should.

d1wright
November 15th, 2014, 12:40
Grace's Prechronicle.

Carog the Fat
November 15th, 2014, 12:42
i sent my prechronicle by email

d1wright
November 15th, 2014, 12:56
Just some reminders of practice options mentioned in game.

Use "localhost" to set up your computer with a practice session and 2 instances of FG running at the same time. One hosting as a GM and the other as a player connecting to the "localhost" address. Then you can practice fight with all of your spells and test your effects.

Here's the link for the effects syntax in the wiki:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects

I also like this wiki link on token targeting:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

HoloGnome
November 15th, 2014, 18:44
Great game! *NEGATIVE CHANNEL* noooOOOOoooo! :D

Farnaby
November 15th, 2014, 22:33
Hi Gang,

sorry I missed the last fight but the pub was closing.
What happened?

d1wright
November 16th, 2014, 00:28
We didn't play that much longer. Just a few 3 or 4 more hours or so...

After you left, we went on the forever combat against a cleric with 6 negative channels that sent Arrugosh looking for help along the warf, disabled and looking like he'd just been mugged asking if anyone could use his wand on him. This did not play well with the native populace.

With Belteshazzar and Zan unconscious on the deck, Karack permanently blinded below decks and Grace lying prone on the stairs to the lower deck trying to avoid eye contact with the angry negative channeling woman in half plate, things looked bleak. Luckily, with Grace's artful use of Diplomacy, she convinced the blind barbarian that he could take her in hand to hand combat! Karack, caught up in her enthusiasm, turned the tide while Grace tried to channel and wand tap the others as they alternately stood up and fell over again from negative channeling as she played prairie dog in the stairwell trying to avoid getting fried. Luckily, the lowest hit point character in the party made her 2 Will saves for half damage and hid against the total 48 points of negative channeling dealt.

Eventually, she ran out of negative channeling and they reengaged in melee and subdued her in 2 rounds of the 24 round total. There were a few fighters as well, and a zombie that fled into the sea, probably still walking the bed of the bay, but she was the real sticking point.

They then turned her over to the Pathfinders after getting info on where Cestus might be. Karack is cured of blindness and they set off for the final battle. They buffed up, burst in, killed some dire rats and a druid, dashed down the stairs, enlarged Karack critted the Huecuva guard in one giant battle axe smash while the others dealt with the evil cleric that only managed 1 negative channel before they cornered and subdued him.

They rescued Cestus and discovered that the Darrow were the buyers.

So you didn't miss too much...

HoloGnome
November 16th, 2014, 01:28
Yeah - it was a total cake walk. Zan was glad he infernal healed before failing saves and collapsing vs. the negative channels with his paltry 15 hp. He eventually found concealment and then clawed his way behind a cabin door as soon as he got back to disabled condition. Then, with a vigorous 1hp, he leapt into the stairwell with Grace for cover and then she came at us again down the stairs. So much for cover. The pain... There was some sense of futility and insult in that we had to heal this divinely-rampaging, half-orc she-beast blood merchant with positive channels in order not to die ourselves. However, as Grace said, once Karack the Barbarian grappled and pinned her, she didn't have a chance. Zan helped out in the end with a successfully intimidating sneak attack. And, Karack got the last laugh when he head-butted her and knocked her unconscious. But, it was all we could do to get him not to kill her for blinding him.

Be prepared for the middle tier in the next installment, since we will mostly be at 3rd level.

Hey Farnaby - next time don't game from the Prancing Pony! :D The Prancing Prince needed you!

xazil
November 16th, 2014, 02:24
Here is Grace's Chronicle, good fight management and spotting the that Luscilia didn't want to engage in melee so getting Karrack out there pushed her back. Of it showed why she didnt want to be in his reach shortly after as well. :)

Victor
November 16th, 2014, 03:17
D1 and Holo, those were great recaps, (didn't really read them) but what I think the more direct answer to Farnaby's question is, "You got Drunk!"

p.s. D1, you know everyone calls you Dwight, right? ;) I heard it more than once I think.

HoloGnome
November 16th, 2014, 07:08
I think he probably owns a beet farm.

Carog the Fat
November 16th, 2014, 20:51
well i am 3rd already from play testing if i get the chance to play 2 3-7 missons before the 25th i am taking them to 1 complete the chronicle and 2 report it all

d1wright
November 16th, 2014, 23:52
Xazil, your message box is full. Delete some messages. Remember that you probably have a lot of old "Sent" messages stored as well that could be deleted.

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 00:19
The Arrugosh Theme Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8) :D

Victor
November 17th, 2014, 01:16
ROFL
I think I need to watch that whole movie again now that I play these games.
Nice one Hole of Gnome :)

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 06:06
I think we were all yelling I don't want to gooo on the caaarrrt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs).

Carog the Fat
November 17th, 2014, 11:42
The Arrugosh Theme Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8) :D

Thanks you are my minstrel now :)

Farnaby
November 17th, 2014, 16:34
And here's my pre-chronicle sheet and my readjusted .hlfg file

See you on friday guys.
This time from home and with plenty of time. :)

Farnaby
November 17th, 2014, 16:54
I played this one on a borrowed laptop. Any idea how to manage my character from my main machine?

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 17:20
Yes, Eric the Farnabee. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz...

1. At the main FG screen, click on "Manage Characters". You will then be logged in to the local cache where you can find Witchy-Poo Hexenbeast.
2. Click on the brown pencil icon in the character window and you will see a blue export arrow (pointing downward) appear on your character.
3. Click on the blue arrow to export the local copy of your character xml.
4. Copy over the file assuming the laptop still works and you didn't spill too much beer on it
5. On your desktop machine, create a pathfinder campaign and launch it
6. Click on the brown pencil in the character window
7. Click on the blue import (pointing upward) arrow
8. Navigate to your .xml file and you should be good to go

If you want the portrait and token you used, be sure to copy those from the FG folder C:\Users\CarnabyFudgeByDarlesChickens\AppData\Roam ing\Fantasy Grounds II - usually in \portraits and \tokens by default, but could also come from the campaign sub-directory (but not if you just did a default setup on the laptop).

cmdisc
November 17th, 2014, 17:37
If you don't have access to the laptop (and the hard drive the character would be saved on), I believe you'll just have to ask Xazil to send you the .xml. Then drop it into your Character's folder on whatever computer you're using.

xazil
November 17th, 2014, 23:10
If you don't have access to the laptop (and the hard drive the character would be saved on), I believe you'll just have to ask Xazil to send you the .xml. Then drop it into your Character's folder on whatever computer you're using.
I'll grab a copy tonight and copy it up to your Farnaby. :)

HoloGnome
November 17th, 2014, 23:13
OK - but we still need to sing the Eric the Farnabee (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w) song, since this is now the Monty Python PFS thread.

Farnaby
November 18th, 2014, 22:54
Well if you weren't all pining for the fjords, you might have muscled up to those bars and WUMMM

HoloGnome
November 19th, 2014, 02:50
I don't know about you, but I just drank the Polly morph other potion.

xazil
November 20th, 2014, 06:38
I still havent heard form kwarner1986 and thus the group is currently looking as:

Victor
Balteshazzar
Magus 3

Holognome
Zan Greenshadow
Rogue 2 / Wizard 1

Farnaby
Nenna
Witch 2

D1wight
Grace Husker
Cleric 1

Carog the Fat
Arrugosh
Hydrokinetist 3

Sam Guerra
Karrack
Barbarian 2 / Shaman 1

This puts the APL over 2.5 and thus you will be playing at the 3-4 tier range. I judge the party ok to handle this with Grace hanging around the back with her bow and other people able to use healing wands if needed.

With quite a few characters leveling can you please get me your updated XMLs. I will run the server for at least 8 hours prior to play so people can connect and update their characters and add in FG effects for spells and weapons.

Note that this adventure should also run quite a bit shorter than the previous, but we have people with hard deadlines so if everyone could be on a bit early it would be appreciated.

kwarner1986
November 21st, 2014, 00:25
Here's Rebecca sorry for the late arrival. I'll be there tomorrow.

xazil
November 21st, 2014, 12:12
Server is up and running for people to check over things before start. I am still missing some peoples updated characters too if they could be sent or posted prior to start that would be good. I will be up and around prior to start to help people out.

Carog the Fat
November 21st, 2014, 13:26
where do the files export to again? Found it exporting them ..... yeah i know:o

HoloGnome
November 21st, 2014, 17:18
Carog - you should be able to select the destination directory location on export (click brown pencil in character window, then blue downward-pointing arrow on your character).

Farnaby
November 22nd, 2014, 00:34
Here's my pre-chronicle sheet for the second part and also as I leveled up, a new character sheet to import.

Edit: Just received a Boon (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byi37alIzB4reUx0VHh2Y1NNNkZaOGJPM1UwRzRaN2J6cEln/view?usp=sharing) from FGConV

xazil
November 30th, 2014, 02:29
I am looking at next week for Part 3 and seeing if it suits people. 6 Dec 14 7pm UTC proposed. Please respond if it suits and what class/level is now so I can work out tiers.

Blackfoot
November 30th, 2014, 03:00
I'll be bringing my level 5 Sorcerer/Necromancer.
Name: Prindlemire
PFS# 39241-2
Faction: Scarab Sages
XP: 12
PP/Fame: 21
Starting GP: 1912
THIS Chronicle will be #13
Prindlemire's Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eSipIXzQaoAoI6JHavtXtH_kFJ7h4w8wCd3iphHzzmU/edit?usp=sharing)

HoloGnome
November 30th, 2014, 07:14
If it can be AFTER the next Quest for Perfection game, that would be great. Bringing Zan at L4.2 (well...if you go after cmdisc, then he will be Level 5.0).

Farnaby
November 30th, 2014, 10:10
If possible, I'd like to carry on with Nenna, nothing has changed so you have the latest files.
And the 6th would be good.

Sam Guerra
November 30th, 2014, 13:32
Count me in with Karrack. Will update this post when Hawkwind sends me the chronicle for Emerald part 2.

xazil
November 30th, 2014, 22:48
If it can be AFTER the next Quest for Perfection game, that would be great. Bringing Zan at L4.2 (well...if you go after cmdisc, then he will be Level 5.0).

Well, there are two Quest for Perfection missions to go in that series and two in this one. Note that you can play in a Quest for Perfection game up until 5.2 and The Devil you Know scales up to 7.2.

Of course if the level spreads out too much amongst the party there is the issues of party balance.

HoloGnome
November 30th, 2014, 22:54
OK - Zan is now 4.2. So, it doesn't matter which order things come in, since at the 4th adventure (either QfP or DYK), given that there are 2 left in each series, he will be L5.2, which is the highest allowable for QfP.

DYK or QfP: 4.2
DYK or QfP: 5.0
DYK or QfP: 5.1
DYK or QfP: 5.2

xazil
November 30th, 2014, 23:42
I have sent Cmdisc a PM and hopefully we can compare schedules to work things out.

cmdisc
December 1st, 2014, 17:57
I have no problem working around other people's schedules. I'm not in a hurry to get to Part II of the QfP series other than I'd like it to be sometime in Dec and before people start having their characters in danger of leveling out of range. There is a thread up now to discuss what day works best for everyone. Weekdays and weekends are all open. Last I know of the 19th was floated as a possibility. We'll see...

xazil
December 2nd, 2014, 00:54
So currently this weekend is still looking good although I have hit another snag. While Parts 1 and 2 didn't have any limitations on people coming in on either, the 3rd part does limit itself to those who have done both parts 1 and 2.

This puts D1wight's cleric out of the mix unfortunately :cry:. Also I assume that Prindlemere has actually done parts 1 and 2?

The currently those who have responded for part 3 are:

Zan
Magical Rogue

Belteshazzar
Magus

Karrak
Barbarian

Prindlemire
Necromancer

Nenna
Witch

Comments or suggestions?

Blackfoot
December 2nd, 2014, 01:03
Prindlemire did both 1 and 2.. but it was quite a while ago... there is actually a piece to this one that requires you having played another scenario? I didn't realize they did that.
May 13, 2012 12211 The Decline of Glory: Tier 1-2 1 Nestor #29: The Devil We Know—Part I: Shipyard Rats (PFRPG) 39241 -2 Prindlemire Scarab Sages 2
Jun 20, 2012 12896 The Devil we Know, Part II: Cassomir's Locker 2 Nestor #30: The Devil We Know—Part II: Cassomir's Locker (PFRPG) 39241 -2 Prindlemire Scarab Sages 2Do you want the chronicles for the previous sessions?

Wait.. so you actually can't play a pregen for this one?

xazil
December 2nd, 2014, 01:41
Prindlemire did both 1 and 2.. but it was quite a while ago... there is actually a piece to this one that requires you having played another scenario? I didn't realize they did that.Do you want the chronicles for the previous sessions?

Wait.. so you actually can't play a pregen for this one?

I'm not sure about a pregen.

This is a from the scenario -
"Crypt of Fools is the third installment in the Devil We Knowseries. The first two installments, #29: Shipyard Rats and #30:
Cassomir’s Locker, were written to be played in either order.
The final two installments, this scenario and #48: Rules of the
Swift, have to be played sequentially and can only be played
once a PC has completed #29 and #30."

lachancery
December 2nd, 2014, 01:44
So currently this weekend is still looking good although I have hit another snag. While Parts 1 and 2 didn't have any limitations on people coming in on either, the 3rd part does limit itself to those who have done both parts 1 and 2.

This puts D1wight's cleric out of the mix unfortunately :cry:. Also I assume that Prindlemere has actually done parts 1 and 2?

Comments or suggestions?
I went to search on Paizo's message boards; it seems the requirement in the text box in part 3 was later voided by Mark Moreland. (Spotted this post (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q0xw?Can-0141-be-played-by-a-character-that-hasnt#3) by a VC.)

You should accept PCs that have not played parts 1 & 2.

Blackfoot
December 2nd, 2014, 01:50
Here is another post regarding it... (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nk15?Devil-We-Know-series-question#1)

xazil
December 2nd, 2014, 01:54
I went to search on Paizo's message boards; it seems the requirement in the text box in part 3 was later voided by Mark Moreland. (Spotted this post (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q0xw?Can-0141-be-played-by-a-character-that-hasnt#3) by a VC.)

You should accept PCs that have not played parts 1 & 2.

Thanks, I did a couple quick searches for the limitation more generically and didn't find anything.

Sam Guerra
December 2nd, 2014, 14:45
Updated Karrack

Blackfoot
December 2nd, 2014, 15:01
Hrm... looking at this now I'm in a quandary... I wanted to run Prindlemire through 'Destiny of the Sands' but the 1st 2 pieces of that are 1-5... so I can do one of these or one of those... but not 2 of both. I'm in for Prindlemire for part 3 of this... but I might bring someone else to the 4th part.

xazil
December 2nd, 2014, 22:12
If possible, I'd like to carry on with Nenna, nothing has changed so you have the latest files.
And the 6th would be good.
Farnaby, I believe Nenna leveled up to 3 now (6xp). You are able to give me an updated XML for that level?

Farnaby
December 3rd, 2014, 18:50
Yeah, sure:

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 05:41
Wait.. when did this switch to Saturday? Argh. Saturday is a problem.. that's girlfriend time... I need to check and see if I'm available.

xazil
December 5th, 2014, 05:57
I always proposed the Saturday play time as its my Sunday morning, and my Saturday morning I'm out doing some volunteer work.

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 05:59
Really? The first session was on the 11th.. at 7pm UTC.. which was Friday afternoon where I am. :(
This one is Saturday afternoon... I don't see any discussion about the different times in the thread.. maybe you were doing that at the previous sessions. :(

xazil
December 5th, 2014, 06:01
Sorry, you are right I didn't say Saturday, I just put Saturdays date in the time I proposed last weekend. The previous sessions were on a Friday night, but since that didn't suit me I changed it back a day.

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 06:04
I'll have to check on my girlfriend's plans and get back to you...
I'm glad I checked the calendar.. I would have been kinda surprised when I showed up tomorrow afternoon huh? :)

xazil
December 5th, 2014, 06:06
Unfortunately this weekend is quite full for me now. The only other time I could run it would be up to 6 hours later putting it into your Saturday evening, but making it past midnight for Farnaby in europe.

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 06:07
I'll let you know ASAP so you can plan accordingly.. fortunately you seem to have a bunch of alternates.

Victor
December 5th, 2014, 06:10
I know it was discussed several times either in game or maybe on one of the other threads where GMs were coordinating game times. Xazil always wanted to move his games to Saturday for a variety of reasons, one being he runs a game the night before, really only a few hours before the Friday games. Those were hard enough for me to wake up for, I can't imagine trying to run 2 sessions so close with little sleep. :)
Anyhow, hope everyone is now on the same page, and sure hope you can make it Blackfoot!

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2014, 12:50
Apparently the girlfriend is leaving for a 'thing' at 3:30 so I'm clear.. I'll be neglecting my children but they really don't want to hang with me anyway.

Farnaby
December 5th, 2014, 21:55
Just checked and haven't received the chronicle for Part 1 yet.
Was there any loot to purchase afterwards?

xazil
December 5th, 2014, 23:45
Hrm, you were on of the first I did. I have forwarded another copy to your Gmail.

Good to have you aboard Blackfoot. :)

xazil
December 6th, 2014, 12:08
I'm guessing with the end of the offical Occult playtest Carrog is out. But going forward with 5 with an APL of 4 in a 3-4 teir should be no issue. You have healing from Nenna able to use CLW wands and Infernal Heal wands on Belte, Prindlemire and Zan.

I have peoples characters loaded and the server is up and will remain up so if you can please jump on to check things out and make sure everything is right. I will see everyone at start time.

HoloGnome
December 6th, 2014, 14:13

xazil
December 9th, 2014, 12:47
Still waiting on a few peoples pre-chronicles or alternatively you can just give me your details when you started (Money/Prestige etc) as you are jumping around games from different DMs I do not currently have everyone's full information. The pre-chronicle is just handy in that it prompts you to answer all the questions I need answered.

Sam Guerra
December 10th, 2014, 01:53
Here is mine

Sam Guerra
December 10th, 2014, 02:40
Need help with effects,

What is the proper syntax for the Bane spell? including the will save so FG will automatically roll save. And should I use the ingame unit modifier or does it need to be included in effect per rounds?

xazil
December 10th, 2014, 02:52
With a Wisdom score of 11 your spell DC for a level one spell like Bane is also 11. That is pretty low.

You are probably better off going for buff/healing spells.

I believe there are some Youtube tutorials on this, but basically assuming you have the spell line already in your Action tab you wand to right click on it and add a Cast. Then do it again and add an effect that you can then apply to those who fail the save. If you tell FG things like your caster level and which casting stat you are using (ie Wisdom) then it will do most of the rest of the math for you.

Sam Guerra
December 10th, 2014, 07:20
I don't expect to do much of these types of spell mostly self buffs, but trying to get all the effect written out just in case.

Blackfoot
December 10th, 2014, 15:46
The effect for Bane is the reverse of the effect for Bless..
Bane;ATK:-1
There is a fear component as well but since the save cannot be called out specifically for an individual spell/effect... it's best to handle that part manually.

Also note that with a WIS of 11 a cleric can never cast higher than 1st level spells.

xazil
December 14th, 2014, 12:03
I've put up a proposed time for the final installment for next week. For Saturday afternoon/evening for you regular players. Hopefully it suits most. If it doesn't we can look to moving it to another date.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 18:11
I marked myself a 'no' on the calendar... I need to check on 'the rules' for next weekend and get back to you.

xazil
December 14th, 2014, 18:44
I remember you saying that Saturday inst good for you Blackfoot but thought I'd check as the normal playtime slots available for me are almost gone for this year. I'd assume if we pushed this back about 6 hours on the day prior it would make it extremely late/early for Farnaby and other Euro people. (ie after the Quest for perfection run).

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 20:56
I cleared it with the boss.. it's all good here.

Farnaby
December 14th, 2014, 21:18
I remember you saying that Saturday inst good for you Blackfoot but thought I'd check as the normal playtime slots available for me are almost gone for this year. I'd assume if we pushed this back about 6 hours on the day prior it would make it extremely late/early for Farnaby and other Euro people. (ie after the Quest for perfection run).

Don't worry about me, I'll just make sure that I have enough red bull. :-)

cmdisc
December 14th, 2014, 21:22
Spoken like a true gamer. Go Zaboo...er, I mean Farnaby.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 22:56
So looking at the group makeup... this is looking like tier 3-4.

Victor - Belteshazzar - 5 - Elf Magus
HoloGnome - Zan - 5 - Elf Rake Enchanter
Carog the Fat - 3 - Hydrokinetist
Farnaby - Nenna - 3 - Vudran Witch
Sam Guerra - Karrack - 4 Half-orc Barbarian

My options in the 3-5 range (if I don't bring Prindlemire) are:
Grum the Thug - 3.1
Inquisitor Stick - 4.2
Daydrocandri the Gnome Life Oracle - 3.0
Spirit Walker the Gnome Barbarian - 3.1

Is it still legal to play the Hydrokinetist? Isn't there some special boon you need at this point?
We have a lot of magic but not much healing.. maybe Stick or Day?

xazil
December 14th, 2014, 23:18
No, there isn't anything required to do part 4. They did have it in the text, but it seems to be superseded.

From the story point of view its nice to continue through.

I'm currently unsure on if we have Carrog or not, that being said these are made for 4 characters as its season 1, so bring a character to balance the party as you like.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 23:22
I meant because the playtest is over... (as far as Carog goes)...

For my PC.. I was kinda asking the other players which they'd prefer to have along.

xazil
December 14th, 2014, 23:30
Yeah, I was going to look into the playtest for the same reason.

I think Karrack's player now is in a campaign or two so the loss of the rage machine might also be felt too.

Trenloe
December 14th, 2014, 23:36
Is it still legal to play the Hydrokinetist? Isn't there some special boon you need at this point?
You need at least 1 line on the Occult Adventures Playtest chronicle sheet to be able to play one of the playtest PCs after the playtest ends (November 25th, 2014). Chronicle sheet here: https://paizo.com/download/pathfinder/PZO1132AE-Chronicle.zip

What this basically means is that you have to have played one of the occult characters during the playtest window, and got the GM to fill out the adventure in the Occult Adventures Playtest chronicle sheet.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 23:38
So in theory.. if he played a game with Xazil during the playtest.. Xazil could fill out one of these chronicles (even after the fact and backdated) and he would be allowed to continue with the character.

xazil
December 14th, 2014, 23:39
Yeah, he did play during the playtest period a couple of times with me and I filled out the lines for him on the playtest sheet.

Blackfoot
December 14th, 2014, 23:40
Ahh.. then it sounds like he should be good to go.

Victor
December 15th, 2014, 06:43
Holo posted on the calendar forum that he needs to be done by 6pm (game starts at noon PST) and he could start earlier if anyone wanted to.
I am good for starting an hour or even two earlier, altho I would still like to be done in 5 to 6 hours if possible, but we know how that goes. :)

Thoughts?

Blackfoot
December 15th, 2014, 07:01
Earlier is not good for me... I'm already pushing it on the start time. Honestly, these games 'should' be done in under 5 hours. Perhaps attempting to stay on task would help. :)

Sam Guerra
December 15th, 2014, 14:50
Okay, don't know why i deleted my name but I am still up for part 4. here is updated XLMs and pic

Blackfoot
December 15th, 2014, 14:59
So it's seeming like a healing type would definitely be a good thing.
I have two options... Stick and Daydrocandri.. Stick has higher level heals but less spells... Day has channels but lower level healing.
Any preferences?

Also Sam, with FG.. since it already puts a border on your portrait automatically and scales the image to 63x63 you are better off working with this:

HoloGnome
December 15th, 2014, 15:07
Having a social component and engaging in our typical joking easily adds 1 hour to the game which is certainly enjoyable and may even be preferable. Plus, we need to account for a "Farnaby Beer Delay" in the event of any pub-related keyboard accidents. Then, there is the "Barbarian Jail-Break Delay," but that is another matter and not without certain humor value.

Blackfoot
December 15th, 2014, 15:22
I think I'll go with Stick.. he's 1xp from 5 so this will move him along and give me someone I can play in the 5-7 range.
Character Name: Stick
PFS# 39241-8
Class: Inquisitor
Level: 4
XP: 11
Fame/PP: 21/21
Starting Gold: 469.5
Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/128IccDq0VJUNOGSEUTVRBZLGfvzHsLFXCHsLJrRmqb8/edit?usp=sharing)

xazil
December 15th, 2014, 17:18
The 2nd one ran to time no problems and so we know it can be done. :)

Sam Guerra
December 15th, 2014, 21:09
Yeah i made token with a program i have. that was the default border.

Blackfoot
December 15th, 2014, 21:10
Yeah i made token with a program i have. that was the default border.
The version I uploaded should work a little better in FG.. give it a try and see what you think.

xazil
December 18th, 2014, 20:56
I know we have Belte and Zan playing the day before we play and hopefully can get an XML update from each if needed. Nenna and Karrack are current from their previous outing here?

Farnaby
December 18th, 2014, 21:11
Nenna's current.

AC, not DC....only downstream....old school 220v not the wimpy 110v...
(So many puns available, so little time....)

HoloGnome
December 18th, 2014, 21:19
I'll update right after the adventure and make sure you get it.

Victor
December 18th, 2014, 21:25
Just grab my xml from Q for P thread. I don't plan on any changes but if I make any I will do them on the fly in your game. I will get you my Chronicle asap.

xazil
December 20th, 2014, 11:19
Ok server is up and I've imported all of the XMLs that you have sent or the most recent from part 3. Except for Zan who I know has changed a bit as the previous one I have is level 4. I will be around a while, and then back up before game time. Please check in on your stuff ahead of time.

Blackfoot
December 20th, 2014, 15:06
The game isn't for like 5 hours right? I mean.. I didn't get my timing confuddled again right?

xazil
December 20th, 2014, 18:03
You are right Blackfoot, I am just allowing people time to look over their stuff ahead.thus running the server early.

Peanut
December 20th, 2014, 19:58
Blackfoot will be late by 20 min.

xazil
December 20th, 2014, 20:01
Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Blackfoot
December 21st, 2014, 03:52
I think I'll go with Stick.. he's 1xp from 5 so this will move him along and give me someone I can play in the 5-7 range.
Character Name: Stick
PFS# 39241-8
Class: Inquisitor
Level: 4
XP: 11
Fame/PP: 21/21
Starting Gold: 469.5
Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/128IccDq0VJUNOGSEUTVRBZLGfvzHsLFXCHsLJrRmqb8/edit?usp=sharing)

PURCHASES:
Antiplague - 50 gp - USED
Scroll Case - 1 gp

Let me know if you need anything else.

Farnaby
December 21st, 2014, 23:49
I was playing around with my FG install.
Any chance you could send me Nenna's xml file?

Sam Guerra
December 23rd, 2014, 02:11
Slowly Karrack awakens, as he does he sees his companions around him with grim looks upon their faces, they begin to look relieve as he opens his eye with more clarity. Event seem to fly by in his mind as he realizes that he was dead and that his companions have brought him back.

Thank you my friends I am indebted to you all.

Victor
December 23rd, 2014, 04:01
Slowly Karrack awakens, as he does he sees his companions around him with grim looks upon their faces, they begin to look relieve as he opens his eye with more clarity. Event seem to fly by in his mind as he realizes that he was dead and that his companions have brought him back.

Thank you my friends I am indebted to you all.

The gratitude flows both ways. We would never have gotten past that pile of dirt without your strong back to shield us as it has done so many times before. After you were killed it became a desperate mission. We encountered a ghastly Ghast that nearly wiped us all out, yet we managed to prevail.
Womb to Tomb, brother, Womb to Tomb.

HoloGnome
December 23rd, 2014, 04:19
Or maybe Cradle to Graveyard. :D Oh...and Karrack...don't mind those bolts in your neck and scar across your forehead. We used you for scientific research for our day job rolls. :D