PDA

View Full Version : Generic Maps in Multiple Campaigns...

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2014, 13:05
I have a pile of battle maps that I'd like to use in multiple campaigns. Various outdoor settings and whatnot. When I place the maps in the FG root directory 'images' folder.. well that pretty much does nothing. I have to copy each image into each campaign for them to be found. Does this make a lot of sense? Seems like it takes up a good bit of extra space and it would be easier to organize in a standard folder for ALL campaigns. More like the way tokens work.. Certainly it is nice to have the images in the campaigns TOO... but..
What do folks think about this? I'm not missing something that allows this already right?

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2014, 13:12
Just put the images in a module, then activate the module for each campaign.

Personally, as I run lots of different rulesets and genres I wouldn't want to have a generic set of images/maps always open in every campaign. I'd use generic fantasy for fantasy based RPGs, generic SciFi for SciFi based etc.. Therefore, I think it makes more sense to make a module of "Generic Fantasy Maps" and "Generic SciFi Maps" than have lots of images always active in every campaign I run.

Blackfoot
November 3rd, 2014, 20:46
I gotta say that solution is a lot more complicated for users than a folder in the 'images' directory for generic images. Especially when adding 1 or 2 images from time to time.

damned
November 4th, 2014, 00:54
you both have valid points.
ultimately though - every image is getting loaded into memory so common images could create issues...

Blackfoot
November 4th, 2014, 02:30
Don't they only get loaded when they are opened and/or shared? I get a slight load time when opening large images from my campaigns...

Trenloe
November 4th, 2014, 02:38
Don't they only get loaded when they are opened and/or shared? I get a slight load time when opening large images from my campaigns...
Yeah they do. I've just done a test - Started a blank campaign and then put loads of random images in the campaign and the memory use of FG only went up when I opened an image, dropping back down when I closed it. With this in mind, the shared image folder (with a folder hierarchy to enable organisation and categorisation) wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think the main issues would be scanning of multiple folders for changes (adding/removing/renaming files) and the potential for campaign database bloat. Campaign database bloat might be the main issue here - tokens, for example, don't write any info to the campaign db.xml file (unless they're in use or attacked to a NPC/encounter); whereas images need an entry in the campaign database before they can be used.