PDA

View Full Version : What introductory to play with absolute RPG novices?

AstaSyneri
October 31st, 2014, 15:43
Hi!

For our company gaming nights I am thinking about whether to offer an introductory RPG session (offline).

We are talking about 80% young women, pretty much all non-gamers (which can be an advantage).

What I cannot wrap my mind around yet, is what kind of scenario to use. It has to be a one shot, offer enough interaction between players, involve little actual rules and mechanics and be finished in 2-3 rounds.

Any ideas how to get this cat into the bag?

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 18:04
Does it actually have to be an RPG? Some of the simi-RPG board games like "Hero Quest" or "Dungeon!" would offer a good first time experience. Even if you didn't use the board you could just use the mechanics and characters, they are simple to understand.

Valarian
October 31st, 2014, 20:11
Or to get people used to the idea, a narrative game like "Penny for your Thoughts" or "Fiasco".

Willot
October 31st, 2014, 20:49
Risen from the Sands isnt too long (https://paizo.com/products/btpy959k?Pathfinder-Module-Risen-from-the-Sands)
and the pdf is a free download

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 21:00
Toon works as well. If you want something more complex you might run something with fudge dice, or for Fantasy use Tunnels and Trolls.

Valarian
October 31st, 2014, 21:05
Cairn is a new game with a nice simple system, suitable for introducing beginners and children to roleplaying games. https://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/131899/Cairn-RPG

damned
October 31st, 2014, 21:46
Munchkins and HeroQuest.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2014, 21:53
AS the players have no background in gaming I'd recommend steering clear of the D&D systems and derivatives. Go with an easy to pick up system - Savage Worlds, Fate, or Cairn as Valarian suggests.

Pick a scenario that slowly introduces the players to role-playing - guiding initially and then opening up to allow them to explore the freedom of RPGs. Be prepared to not get too far but provide a satisfactory conclusion, but also be prepared for the players to get right into it and make a lot of progress. Essentially have lots of options that you can use if they progress really fast, but be prepared to drop them if they take their time. This means you might have to redesign portions of your chosen scenario to cater for this. I wouldn't include too much combat (and definitely not dungeon crawling), have action scenes though - perhaps a more pulpy style game. Have them be heroes & heroines and let them explore the freedom of choices and escapism that RPGs give.

seycyrus
October 31st, 2014, 23:00
Hi!
For our company gaming nights I am thinking about whether to offer an introductory RPG session (offline).
Any ideas how to get this cat into the bag?

Talk to each of them ahead of time if you can and ask them what THEY think it is going to be like and what other games they have played in the past.

Mask_of_winter
November 1st, 2014, 01:18
With 80% young women, perhaps some horror. Savage Worlds' the Wyld Hunt available for free with test drive rules. This could work to your advantage since they're likely to avoid confrontation.
Also games like Munchkin or Fiasco would be good.

Willot
November 1st, 2014, 08:11
OH OH!! I know!Mouse Guard (https://www.mouseguard.net/books/role-playing-game/)
You play as MICE!

AstaSyneri
November 3rd, 2014, 14:38
Thanks for the wide range of ideas. Yes, I want it to be an RPG. From my point of view it has to be communication-based/conflict-solving rather than battling. WoD used to be the choice for that, but I hate the Vampire-background and the mechanics (plus the GM's choices of modifiers) often felt arbitrary.

Savage Worlds is a system I am much more familiar with.

Board Games are also out. They appeal to boys and men, but rarely to women. They (imho) want to be able to jump right in, without having to learn cumbersome mechanics (not talking about women in general, but how I judge the "gaming level" of the ones in question).

AS the players have no background in gaming I'd recommend steering clear of the D&D systems and derivatives. Go with an easy to pick up system - Savage Worlds, Fate, or Cairn as Valarian suggests.

Pick a scenario that slowly introduces the players to role-playing - guiding initially and then opening up to allow them to explore the freedom of RPGs. Be prepared to not get too far but provide a satisfactory conclusion, but also be prepared for the players to get right into it and make a lot of progress. Essentially have lots of options that you can use if they progress really fast, but be prepared to drop them if they take their time. This means you might have to redesign portions of your chosen scenario to cater for this. I wouldn't include too much combat (and definitely not dungeon crawling), have action scenes though - perhaps a more pulpy style game. Have them be heroes & heroines and let them explore the freedom of choices and escapism that RPGs give.

Yes, absolutely agree on that. I just don't have an idea yet on what to base this one-shot on. It's kind of like writing a paper for a TV series. And know, I don't want it to be Desperate Housewives.

Where do women have to stick together to solve problems, being motivated as hell and having all the reasons for going all out?

Ideas please, Gentlemen (and Ladies, if there are any here)? ;-)

My ideas (hooks only, but I figure that's the most important part):

1. The men of a Viking village are off on rampage. A raid by a neighboring village/trolls/evil rats from hell has seen a bunch of kids being abducted. The abductors want X from the village till Day Z, or else! [Basic Savage Worlds, possibly Hellfrost]
2. A sleepy village in the Bavarian South. Many men are off to war. When they are sent off, there is a send-off party by the local Gauleiter. When they come back on leave they often come back as heroes, surviving horrendous situations and being high decorated. But they are changed, ignore their wives (best case) and somehow disappear somewhere at night (at first they thought it was the local tavern)... Then the first wife/daughter/innocent is murdered... [Achtung Cthulhu! ?]
3. In the wild, wild west earning a living was hard. Madam Gloria managed to build the best little ... establishement in the up and coming city of Gulchwood. Sure, Miners and Cowboys are a hard lot, but with a little help form abo..., err, her little deck of cards, all problems could be solved. Until one time she lost her deal with the devil and vanishes. In her place the slick Huckster Desmond Aveary claims to have won the House. Of course he is a real monster of a boss. [Deadlands]

Nylanfs
November 4th, 2014, 14:19
I would second FATE, especially as the character creation encurages party cohesiveness. And it's a PWYW base sales model.

AstaSyneri
November 5th, 2014, 11:05
I would second FATE, especially as the character creation encurages party cohesiveness. And it's a PWYW base sales model.

It's likely that I am going to learn a new system for a one shot ;-). Currently I am more concerned with what to offer to get "regular people" into a roleplaying session...

Valarian
November 5th, 2014, 12:03
Currently I am more concerned with what to offer to get "regular people" into a roleplaying session...
Light touch rules system. Enjoyable story. Beer (or wine).

ianmward
November 5th, 2014, 23:21
Savage worlds is good, especially if you go really rules light.

ballan4
November 6th, 2014, 04:43
I too recommend Savage Worlds. But if that is to much for your new comers, try Fate Accelerated edition. FAE is also a pay what you want. Or you can buy the printed rules for $5 at most game stores.

Mgrancey
November 6th, 2014, 21:33
I would suggest either Savage Worlds or one of the Cypher settings (Numenera or The Strange) if you know it. Its got a really easy character creation method, it has a simple consistent system with out a focus on combat. Its easy to adapt should they go a route you aren't expecting. The Strange can be started in a modern era and Numenera is a High Science setting.

Character creation is I am [Descriptor] [Noun] who [Verb]. For Numenera, there are a good character builders online and you don't need to worry about having a balanced party or having certain roles filled, as there is only 3 "classes" and one is simply a combo of the other 2.

Lysander
November 8th, 2014, 13:32
Make them all related (sisters, cousins) and have them solve a mystery or secret about their parents/uncles/aunts.

Or, Play Slipstream and go thru The Hunt, where characters have limited resources and are from different backgrounds. They have to work together to escape. (Or they could all be Valkrians! and the non female a Robot Man?) The module has several encounters and you can pick and choose what the players run into as your time slot allows...