PDA

View Full Version : Roll on Table - Return a Chat frame?

swest
October 31st, 2014, 10:59
Greetings,

I was hoping to create a slick way of rolling for a random rumor, and having a Chat frame returned that could be dropped to a player's chat window.

However, there is no formatting of the table entry, and I can't figure out how to include a link that is a Chat frame (that could be dropped on the player - like the image links in Craftzero's 'Roll on table - receive an image? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22148-Roll-on-Table-receive-an-image)' thread).

Any way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

- s.west

damned
October 31st, 2014, 13:14
Try this:

swest
October 31st, 2014, 18:35
damned, your post shows:

Attachments Pending Approval
chat-table-1.jpg
chat-table-2.jpg

and it won't let me download them...

??

ddavison
October 31st, 2014, 18:42
fixed

swest
October 31st, 2014, 19:33
Thanks for that. I would have sworn that I tried exactly that... I'll give it another go.

Thanks, again.

- s.west

swest
November 1st, 2014, 06:45
Alrighty...

That does what I need.

Thanks!

- s.west

swest
November 8th, 2014, 03:13
Ok, I just got around (tonight) to implementing my rumors table, which was the subject of this thread.

It works as advertised. Thanks, damned.

My only question, now that I actually see the implementation, is: Why, when you drag a chat frame to a PC's portrait, doesn't it show up in the player's chat window as box text? It seems that the 'whisper' characteristic removes any formatting... why is that?

This is still usable, of course, and I still achieve the desired outcome, but it would be nice if it were formatted as box text...

I'm curious, more than anything else...

Thanks, again.

- s.west

damned
November 8th, 2014, 03:27
add it a a feature request...
i doubt there is a particular reason for it - its probably just the way it was done originally...

Trenloe
November 8th, 2014, 14:02
Whisper functionality was originally designed just for that - "whispering" between 2 people at the "table". It's more designed as out-of-character communication rather than story/character chat communication.

You can create the whole formatted text as a story entry and drag the story entry link to the PC portrait - this will share the whole story entry just with that PC - it will pop up as a separate window, not inside the chat window.

damned
November 8th, 2014, 14:34
the way Trenloe says works - i have used that heavily in one scenario...