PDA

View Full Version : Effects in 5e

shemantis
October 31st, 2014, 00:25
I see in various changelogs that there are effects added to the 5e ruleset (poisoned, for example, in 3.0.8), but when I open my "Effects" window, it is empty.
I can add my own, of course, but I wondered where those effects mentioned in the changelogs were stored, if not in the Effects window opened from the sidebar button?

Trenloe
October 31st, 2014, 00:38
The effects list for 5E is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

These are effects and conditions that are available for you to type into the Effects window (or directly as an effect on a creature in the combat tracker). They are not automatically added as, with effects, there are too many possible combinations to list all so it is up to the GM to add the common ones they'll use in their campaign to the effects list.

shemantis
October 31st, 2014, 00:47
Okay, I get it.
I have to say, this program is a bit complicated.
I absolutely LOVE IT (bought another software for this same purpose less than a month ago, and have completely abandoned it since I discovered FG). But I'm not a computer or software n00b in any way, and still find it difficult to navigate the many options, the formatting, lack of centralized documentation, etc.
That being said, I *am* a total coding n00b. So, perhaps that is a factor in the formatting, etc.

In any case, thank you again for your great support. It's a beautiful program that includes *almost* every single thing I want in a campaign manager.

Trenloe
October 31st, 2014, 00:59
But I'm not a computer or software n00b in any way, and still find it difficult to navigate the many options, the formatting, lack of centralized documentation, etc.
Have you looked through the User Guide section of the Wiki? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/User_Guides It's not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but there is a lot of information in there.

But, in the end, a powerful piece of software always has a learning curve. It's getting better with the Wiki and the community videos that have been released fairly recently though...

shemantis
October 31st, 2014, 01:01
And the community/forum support is absolutely amazing.
Tools like PAR5E and the user-made extensions just blow my mind. I've only been using FG for about a week (can you tell, lol?) but I've been *thoroughly* impressed by it, the people working on it, and the community adding to it.

Irondrake
October 31st, 2014, 03:17
It takes a little time to get used to some of the nuances, but once you have it down, its hard to look at any other program. This just works too well :) I spend quite a bit of time in the 5E ruleset and try to help when I can. When you run into stumbling blocks, just post them in the forums. Someone can surely answer.

shemantis
October 31st, 2014, 03:20
One last question on effects, then, since you offered. :p
Is there a "code" for half-damage (so I could add it to effects), or a way to get the half-damage modifier into the hotkey bar? I'd like to be able to just hit a hotkey and have the next roll be halved.

Irondrake
November 2nd, 2014, 02:53
Only way for Half Damage is through the Modifiers panel it would seem. Or right clicking the damage after its rolled and selecting 1/2. that is how I do it. Typically if a save is made, it untargets the ones who made the save. the ones who failed the save remain targetted so I roll damage. After that I half that damage using the Right-Click feature, then drag that damage onto the tokens that made the save. It has worked pretty well for me.

shemantis
November 2nd, 2014, 03:12
That is a good plan that had not yet occurred to me. Still learning all the things that one can drag-and-drop in this program.