PDA

View Full Version : damage resistance effects

AKABigBlack
October 31st, 2014, 00:09
posted this in another thread, thinking it might have been lost. I know how to set resistances to damage for individual types (RESIST: piercing;...), but was wondering if it can be done the following: "resistance to all damage except psychic". this is for the raging barbarian at 3rd level with the bear totem. if i have to list out each individually so be it, it's just that it clutters up the combat tracker something fierce. was just wondering if anyone knew of a better way...

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 02:37
I haven't tried this this and don't have FG in front of me, but isn't there a resist all damage? If so then resist everything and then give him VULN: psychic?

AKABigBlack
October 31st, 2014, 02:43
that's what i'm not sure of, the resist all syntax. i've tried this:7827 with no results.

El Condoro
October 31st, 2014, 10:22
When I type the resistances into the CT manually, with comma separators, the result it as expected.

When I type it in exactly the same into the character sheet actions tab, using an effect and applying it, the commas are stripped out and it doesn't work.

Anyone know why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16283408/Images/resist.png

Irondrake
November 1st, 2014, 02:11
I'm not really sure why that may be, but I was pretty sure the correct syntax was RESIST: acid; RESIST: cold; etc... in the character sheet actions.

AKABigBlack
November 1st, 2014, 02:14
that is how it works. "RESIST: piercing; RESIST: bludgeoning; RESIST: slashing; RESIST: cold;....". but i was wondering if there was a way to set it up so one keyword would grant resistance to all damage types. typing them all out really clutters up the combat tracker.

Irondrake
November 1st, 2014, 02:33
I haven't done this myself, but have you tried adding just the word RESIST without any modifier to it? Its supposed to assume all damage types if you don't add anything after it.

AKABigBlack
November 1st, 2014, 02:34
i did. i thought that's what the wiki stated, but no love there.

El Condoro
November 1st, 2014, 05:58
I have tried -
RESIST: all
RESIST: piercing, etc (and it works when typed into the CT manually but not when used as an effect from the character sheet)
RESIST: !psychic
RESIST: all, !psychic

none worked when done as effects on the character sheet.

I'm pretty sure RESIST: piercing; RESIST: bludgeoning; et al would also work but that is what we are trying to avoid.

AKABigBlack
November 1st, 2014, 17:33
i'm in the same boat. i've tried all iterations of the resistances you did and got the same results. if i have to list them all out, so be it, but it just seems that there should be a better way...

AKABigBlack
November 4th, 2014, 23:38
bump. anyone?

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2014, 02:20
I'd have to look at the code, but I'm guessing it's not supported. I added to my list to review for 5E additions, but no promises. Might be easy, or might be complex. Won't know until I give it some focus time.

Cheers,
JPG

AKABigBlack
November 5th, 2014, 23:38
awesome MW! i'm just wondering if there is a shorter, better syntax. ideally, i'd like to see "RESIST: all; VULN: psychic".

kalannar
November 11th, 2014, 15:22
Is there away to emulate heavy armor master with regards to the 3 damage reduction for piercing, slashing, and blunt damage from nonmagical? I tried doing RESIST: 3 slashing and so forth but it just does half damage, it doesn't factor in the 3 at all.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2014, 17:44
Not currently. The heavy armor master feature is currently the only usage of a fixed amount of damage resistance in the game system that I could find. I haven't had a chance to implement something like that yet.

Regards,
JPG

kalannar
November 11th, 2014, 23:36
Thank you for the quick response. Moon Wizard you are doing a great job with the rule set.

spoofer
November 12th, 2014, 00:50
This is only indirectly related, but you guys seem to be effects masters. Could you please tell me the syntax for "gain a +1 AC bonus against ranged attacks"? My best guess is:

AC: 1 ranged

but this did not work for me.

Thanks, Kevin

Moon Wizard
November 12th, 2014, 07:27
"AC: 1 ranged" is working for me. See attached image. Note the "[DEF EFFECTS +1]" note when the attack roll is compared to the target AC.

Regards,
JPG

Cabrones
November 13th, 2014, 02:54
hi guys, is there a thread where i can find all the implemented 5e features? i recently found out about the reroll # one but i was wondering if there's somewhere with all the available options, thank you.

spoofer
November 13th, 2014, 05:18
"AC: 1 ranged" is working for me.

It is now working for me too. I must have done something wrong last time. Thanks for the help.

K.

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2014, 08:59
Not really. The 5E effects wiki page captures most of the details of automated features, since they are usually tied to effects. The Errol option is fairly new, and sort of a one off behavior at this point.

JPG

AKABigBlack
November 15th, 2014, 01:05
Moon Wizard, as usual you are awesome! "RESIST: all, !psychic" works like a charm in the update! Grimfang the barbarian thanks you!

bnickelsen
June 17th, 2015, 14:05
Moon Wizard, as usual you are awesome! "RESIST: all, !psychic" works like a charm in the update! Grimfang the barbarian thanks you!

I looked at the WIKI but still don't get how to make this work.

How would I setup an effect for the Barbarian "Rage"

Trenloe
June 17th, 2015, 14:20
I looked at the WIKI but still don't get how to make this work.

How would I setup an effect for the Barbarian "Rage"
Quick answer - add the effect text to the barbarian in the combat tracker. See post #4 in this thread for an example screenshot. Type in the text RESIST: all, !psychic

Post #3 shows an example where AKABigBlack added a power to their PC sheet actions tab and created an effect entry (right-click on the power and select "Add Action" -> "Add Effect"). Change the description/conditions/modifiers to be RESIST: all, !psychic and use the other settings as shown in post #3. Then when you click the effect button (outline of a humanoid icon) the effect will automatically applied to the PC (because of the target = self setting).

Once you get used to setting up powers for special ability effects, you might find the player effect removal extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23566-5E-Player-Effect-Removal-Extension) useful. But, one step at a time... :)

TASagent
June 17th, 2015, 14:33
Effects like this are also great for permanent racial bonuses, like Dwarven Resilience.

OneSidedDie
June 17th, 2015, 15:39
For the full rage experience I would do:
ADVSAV: strength;ADVCHK: strength;DMG: 2 melee;RESIST: bludgeoning, slashing, piercing

However if you have the 1st bear totem feature use this instead:
ADVSAV: strength;ADVCHK: strength;DMG: 2 melee;RESIST: all, !psychic

In either case remember to change the "DMG: 2 melee" section to the proper number as you level.

bnickelsen
June 18th, 2015, 03:36
So I got the rage working, Great.

I thought to myself I got this and added the CT "RESIST: Cold" Looked simple enough? But alas no.not working. Now the only thing i can this in duration is 0... Because I could not figure out how to set it to not expire?

Mavrik6666
June 18th, 2015, 08:47
RESIST: 'cold' or 'Cold' - if I remember case is sensitive ,

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 11:41
Duration of 0 means it doesn't expire; that's how you set it to last forever.

bnickelsen
June 18th, 2015, 13:53
This is what I have and it is not working

TASagent
June 18th, 2015, 13:59
Try lowercase "cold" like the immune effect you see on the dragon.

dj-wedge
June 19th, 2015, 16:00
I'm thinking not, since all our tests failed last night, but do resistances and immunities extend to Effects and not just damage types:

Example: Ring of Free Action. I was hoping "IMMUNE: paralyzed, restrained" would work - but alas, it does not appear to. When I cast Hold Person upon the player it applies the effect regardless.

Wedgie

TASagent
June 19th, 2015, 16:28
Got it. You need to do "IMMUNE: paralyzed; IMMUNE: restrained;"

dj-wedge
June 19th, 2015, 18:03
@TASagent SWEET! Thanks!

Sangra69
September 3rd, 2019, 12:14
So is their resistance to necrotic and radiant damage? My Asimar sorcerer has that ability.

Zacchaeus
September 3rd, 2019, 15:21
So is their resistance to necrotic and radiant damage? My Asimar sorcerer has that ability.

Yes. RESIST: necrotic, radiant. More information in the Wiki https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Modifiers

deer_buster
September 5th, 2019, 04:51
Glad to see that the RESIST: all,!psychic effect works.

Derpy Angel
June 22nd, 2020, 19:56
I am having a bit of trouble with this. The Creature that I brought in was supposed to be resistant to bludgeoning damage and it just did not work. I have tried resistance rings on the player characters and that did not work either. I am not sure why this is because the creature I had brought in was a prefab so none of the coding was mine. But bludgeoning damage was not mitigated at all.

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2020, 21:08
Hi Derpy Angel, welcome to FG.

You'll need to show us some screenshots of the NPC and the effect you created for the players in order for us to determine the problem. (One thing both player and NPC were on the Combat Tracker and for the PC you had applied the effect to them right?)

Derpy Angel
June 22nd, 2020, 21:55
Hi Derpy Angel, welcome to FG.

You'll need to show us some screenshots of the NPC and the effect you created for the players in order for us to determine the problem. (One thing both player and NPC were on the Combat Tracker and for the PC you had applied the effect to them right?)

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2020, 22:08
I'm not sure what is going on there but the Fire Snake has itself targetted and the PC also has themself targetted. As you can see in my screenshot the IMMUNE: fire and RESIST: fire is working on both the NPC and the PC.

Derpy Angel
June 22nd, 2020, 22:49
Ok. So how does the Resistance work then? Do I need to try and target the player that is hitting the enemy with the enemies resistance effect? Or is it supposed to work automatically. Is there maybe some kind of toggle in the DM options that I need to turn on?

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2020, 00:49
A PC will target an NPC and roll the Damage dice. If the target has resistance or immunity to the damage type dealt then FG will handle it correctly. Same the other way around; if an NPC targets a PC with resistance or immunity the damage will be reduced. In my screen shot the test character targeted the fire drake and then hit it with fire damage. Since the fire drake is immune to fire it took no damage, the fire drake hit the test character with fire but since the character resists fire it only took half damage.

So basically you target as normal, roll attacks and damage as normal and provided the correct effects are in place FG will handle the resistance or immunity automatically.

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2020, 01:27
Are you using any extensions? Maybe one of those is impacting resistances and immunities?

Derpy Angel
June 23rd, 2020, 01:55
A PC will target an NPC and roll the Damage dice. If the target has resistance or immunity to the damage type dealt then FG will handle it correctly. Same the other way around; if an NPC targets a PC with resistance or immunity the damage will be reduced. In my screen shot the test character targeted the fire drake and then hit it with fire damage. Since the fire drake is immune to fire it took no damage, the fire drake hit the test character with fire but since the character resists fire it only took half damage.

So basically you target as normal, roll attacks and damage as normal and provided the correct effects are in place FG will handle the resistance or immunity automatically.

I believe it might have been caused by the first letter being capitalized. After I changed that it started working. Thanks for the response.