PDA

View Full Version : Dungeonscape and WotC part ways

Nylanfs
October 30th, 2014, 13:00
And Smiteworks was JUST in Seattle....

https://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?372601-Dungeonscape-no-more

VenomousFiligree
October 30th, 2014, 16:24
Whilst I would love Smiteworks to get a license for FG, I'd not want it for what Dungeonscape was aimed at. It would take development focus away from FG.

Griogre
October 30th, 2014, 17:01
I don't think Smiteworks getting a license would mean they would build a character builder. I think it likely they would just make an official 5E ruleset and/or a Basic D&D ruleset. This continues WotC's perfect failure streak with the first version of each software character builder.

hawkwind
October 30th, 2014, 19:25
the 4e character bui der was ok?And i still know gamers who swear by the cd-rom made for second edition. But seriously the 5e rule set for fantasy grounds is solid and it would be great for smiteworks if it got some official recognition

Griogre
October 30th, 2014, 20:20
The first software effort of 4E failed spectacularly - it was suppose to do everything and suppose to be ready at the time of 4E's release. DDI and character builder came later. That's kinda been the pattern, initial software effort flops and someone, not WotC, finishes. WotC has a truly horrible record with software, with GameTable being the latest. They simply don't know how to do software, and have had some bad luck as well.

In all fairness, Dungeonscape/Morningstar appears to not have been WotC's fault, so I was probably a bit over the top there. I was just thinking of the 4E Launch where they did an totally avoidable and foreseeable DoS on themselves with their own count down timer. :p At least they avoided that with 5E. ;)

Irondrake
October 31st, 2014, 03:11
I just hope they line someone else up pretty quick. It would be nice if they would just give the Character Builder license to someone who is already well-established in that business. They have already proven themselves and don't have to build from the ground up.

Griogre
October 31st, 2014, 03:24
I agree with you - give it to PCGen, HeroLabs or anyone else who has already done one. Better, license it to them all with certain quality standards and let them compete.

damned
October 31st, 2014, 07:23
Better, license it to them all with certain quality standards and let them compete.

yep!

Irondrake
November 1st, 2014, 02:12
Yeah, first one who can produce accurate and complete results wins!

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2014, 14:40
We already have everything built and ready to go for 5e. :)

Irondrake
November 1st, 2014, 18:23
That's not available is it?

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2014, 19:26
Well the majority of it was built by one of the data team and should you do a search for it you can find the set he's hosting on his personal github repo. :)

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2014, 19:27
It's also only based on the Basic Rules for now. I'm not sure if there's a char sheet made for it though.

hawkwind
November 2nd, 2014, 13:55
<redacted>

MODERATOR: Sorry, as per Nylanfs post below (#18) this link has been removed.

Irondrake
November 4th, 2014, 18:29
Obviously I haven't used this in a very long time, I have no idea what to do with all this. The import function didn't seem to work

Nylanfs
November 4th, 2014, 23:55
Yes it's not packaged neatly for using with the import function. You can download each file in that data/5e/basic rules and put that in a folder in the pcgen data folder, but you will also need the 5e gamemode that is in the level above that in the link..

damned
November 4th, 2014, 23:56
Hi Nylanfs - is this material copyright material from the 5e books?

Nylanfs
November 5th, 2014, 02:54
Yes it is, and I had advised BD to not put it out there till the license was released and my original statements were vague on purpose. Till Hawkwind posted the link, which should be scrubbed.