PDA

View Full Version : 5E Character Sheet - tracking exhaustion

spoofer
October 28th, 2014, 01:46
The concept of exhaustion is new to 5E. I like it and I want to start featuring it in my games. To that end, I am seeking advice.

It seems to me that there is no way to track the exhaustion level of a character on the character sheet. Am I missing something? Or is this an oversight? It seems like there should be some way to track it, along with HP.

I am looking for interesting ways to introduce it. So far I am thinking of adding it into the fumble table in various places, and also having the PCs make a constitution check during each short rest. I want the party to more or less be at level 1 exhaustion at the end of a day of adventuring -- higher if they push themselves. The DC level of the check is going to be very important. I am thinking five + the total number of hit dice the character has used up at the end of the short rest. Any opinions? Is this too much of a burden?

Thanks,

Kevin

Irondrake
October 28th, 2014, 05:00
You can use an effect in the combat tracker for it. I believe it was set to EXHAUSTION: # and it would apply the appropriate affect to the character in combat.

damned
October 28th, 2014, 05:23
Is this too much of a burden?

I like to follow up the major battle of the day with what would otherwise be a pretty routine fight - but all the spells are already cast - players are already wounded etc... just to keep them on their toes :)
I dont want to kill them or anything... I just dont want them taking things for granted :)

spoofer
October 28th, 2014, 12:18
@Irondrake. Oh, that is useful to know with regards to implementing the effect of exhaustion. However, it is not so useful for tracking on a day-to-day basis. I reset the combat tracker at the start of each session to reestablish the link between the tokens and the tracker. I have found that if I did not do that, then dragging attacks to the tokens on the map did not work. Anyways, I lose all effects when I do that. I would really like something like a row of five circles on the character sheet to check one at a time.

@Damned. So you play 5e? Anyways, yeah, that is exactly the effect I am trying to achieve. Thanks.

spoofer
November 2nd, 2014, 11:41
So even with the update, there is still no way to track exhaustion. I sure would like that. Is there a wish list somewhere? I would like to add it.

K.

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2014, 18:04
See the wish list in my sig.

I was debating whether to move the "Stable" and "Exhaustion" conditions into the PC/NPC record, but it requires adding even more fields to CT to support these items for NPCs as well.

JPG

spoofer
November 4th, 2014, 22:55
Wow! That is a huge list. My request seems too humble in comparison.

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2014, 02:23
That's a master list that has been accumulating for years, but don't feel intimidated. I look at everything posted, and try to group things up. other than my big Unity projection FG, I'm looking a lot at 5E as we continue to court Wizards.

Cheers,
JPG