PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming PFS changes

Skellan
October 23rd, 2014, 19:22
Here's a copy of Mike Brock's post from the Paizo forums in case anyone hasn't seen it. The things that are proposed are largely positive from my point of view.

First, let me say that a lot of time and effort were put into improving PFS in this meeting. Both Lisa and Erik were in the meeting most of the almost six hours. John, Mark Moreland, Mark Seifter, and I were as well.
There are quite a few changes and adjustments coming down the pipe. These could start as early as January but others may not go into effect until Gen Con 2015. Some changes willbe very prevelant and noticeable (and definitely highlighted with a Monday blog).
Others will not be seen by the player base at large. One such change that you want really see happening but will notice the affects is that we are building a product review team with the VOs. They will assist John and I in deciding what should and shouldn't make it in to PFS. That may delay update of additional resources from the last week of the month to a week to 10 days later. But, it will be a better system so we don't rush to get things added to the campaign and let something broken slip through the cracks.
Other notes of interest that I'm not ready to talk about in depth yet but do want to give some ideas to the playerbase what was covered.
We have come up with some ideas that we think can bring factions back to the forefront so they regain a good bit of their flavor and importance in the campaign. Note that this doesn't sacrifice the secondary success conditions that were implemented to make it feel like a "pathfinder society first" type of feel. It adds some things that make factions more personal, and at the same time more visible at the game table among the players.
We've come up with an idea that we think can address limited replay. For those worried about replay destroying the campaign, don't worry. we am very cognizant of that. I believe every VO can attest to my vehemence against replay on the VO message board. However, an idea has been presented that I think could work very well, that changed my vehement opposition against replay into a very excited positive, and would open up replay in a way we think the player base will like and appreciate.
The entire team is in agreement we need more play content for the awesome player base. Once we have all of our goblins in a row, you will see more content. This will be in both more scenarios and more quests. However, this is going to take months to happen and not something you see immediately.
You will see some changes coming down the pipe that tweak the way scenarios are put together. John is going to start taking a very hard look in how best to help shorten scenarios just a touch so we can bring back play to the four hours they were always meant to be. The five hour slot is also supposed to include time for paperwork and mustering. We are acutely aware of the problems with scenarios running long and John is going to right that ship. In addition, weare aware of how much time some of the newer scenarios are taking to prep, as well as how difficult some scenarios can be for a newer GM to prepare. We are sensitive to all of these issues and I think you will start seeing some positive changes that make playing and GMing scenarios more timely and easier to GM.
There are a good many other things that we covered and changes and adjustments we are making to refocus PFS and make it a better experience. The above is just a few. But, I felt it important to let you in on a little of what was discussed so you all know that changes for the better are coming. Just have patience with us. It takes some time to get some of these things implemented so it won't be changes that happen overnight, or even in the next month. But rest assured, we have heard the complaints and criticisms, we have taken them to heart, and we are working with a renewed enthusiasm to give you the best organized play anywhere on the planet. And yes, please keep your feedback coming. We can always add to changes we want to make, or there may be something we didn't think of. There's alot of moving parts and I don't mind the challenge of having an awesome idea present a necessitated change to PFS.
One a last note, keep it positive. It can be constructive and positive at the same time. "Take the tech out of my fantasy" is neither. I will advise, don't judge an entire season off a few scenarios. We've got some awesome scenarios coming out in Kaer Maga and Mwangi and other awesome locations.
*EDIT* You are also going to see PFS shift away from a meta plot that revolves around an AP. We are looking at giving PFS it's own meta plot each season. We may have a multi-parter (similar to Destiny of Sands) that touches on the current AP. But, the entire team was in agreement PFS really needs its own Metaplot, similar to Year of the Shadow Lodge.

Blackfoot
October 24th, 2014, 05:05
Do you have a link for this post?

Trenloe
October 24th, 2014, 05:28
Do you have a link for this post?
https://secure.paizo.com/threads/rzs2rmaz&page=6?Thoughts-and-feedback-on-the-current-state-of#267

Skellan
October 24th, 2014, 11:25
I got it originally from his facebook page but there's this thread too https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rmmb?ETA-on-New-changes